Drill bit set recomendations

96dreamer

Established Member
Looking to pick up a good set of drill bits. I've got a Dewalt set in the folding case I keep in the drill bag and a cheap set of Skil bits I picked up years ago. Most are dull, broken or missing at this point. I understand any of them will dull. I'm not half bad at sharpening on my benchtop grinder but would like to start with a quality set. Would like more than your run of the mill 14 piece set as I do drill and tap stuff on occasion but don't think I need a full 100+ piece set.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m in for recommendations too.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

patc84

Established Member
i will say i dont rec ryobi bits. Love their tools, but bits lack

ive broken so ****ing many of them.

use dewalt.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I gave up on buying sets. I just keep a supply of cheap ones in common sizes (2-3 packs from Walmart) and replace them when they start getting dull.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
What do you primarily use them for?

Cle-line is probably the best you'll get at home depot.

If you are just doing mild steel and aluminum, go with high speed steel. They are less brittle than cobalt but if you are doing stuff like stainless or cast iron, probably would want cobalt.

Prestos is another option, made in the UK.

96dreamer

Established Member
Watched that this morning lol. Other than the Bosch though I think those are all bottom of the barrel bits.

What do you primarily use them for?

Cle-line is probably the best you'll get at home depot.

If you are just doing mild steel and aluminum, go with high speed steel. They are less brittle than cobalt but if you are doing stuff like stainless or cast iron, probably would want cobalt.

Prestos is another option, made in the UK.
Id say 90%+ is going to be mild/aluminum but I have stainless in my misc. material stack I'm accumulating.

I have a Fastenal substation where I work that I get awesome discounts on hardware through. I asked them to quote me these two sets. I don't necessarily want to spend that much but curious to see what the price comes back at.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I just had to have my guys drill 108 7/32" holes in 3/4" plate and tap them. I gave them 135* tipped cobalt steel bits and some oiling cans. I wouldn't buy a set, I'd buy the individual bits you need.
I have like 10 of those DeWalt sets, none of them have any 1/8th", 1/4", 1/2"bits left as those are the common ones I use.

Blown 89

Established Member
I know nothing about drill bits but I'm sure this is a good place to start. Best USA Made Drill Bits List | 10 Brands & Manufacturers

I'm curious what others have to say. I had a come to Jesus moment with tools a number of years ago and have been replacing my consumer tools for a few years now. I always assume Phillips screws was a shit design until I switched from Craftsman screwdrivers to Wera and I quickly realized my Craftsman screwdrivers were the problem, not the screw design. The machines at my company are 90% socket (Allen/Hex) bolts and switching to coated Bondhus and Beta tools immediately solve our stripping problems. I imagine there's a different level of drill bits too.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
i will say i dont rec ryobi bits. Love their tools, but bits lack

ive broken so ****ing many of them.

use dewalt.

I haven't used much Ryobi that I would recommend. I've always said they are great homeowner tools, just not good for everyday beatings.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Ended up with Drill Hog 29 piece kit. a few years ago. Got them on Ebay at the time. I got the Cobalt set and Broke a bit, they had a new one to me quickly. Exceeded my expectations so far.

railroad

Established Member
Probably not the best product, but I buy the Harbor Fgt set. Advertised as titanium, but it gives me a great selection, last until I break it. I use them in hand and drill press. Selection is good for drill and tapping.
I have bought some odd sizes from a machine shop or nut and bolt supplier. They cost more, are blue steel, but needed for specific size.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I have this set from Harbor Freight and they have worked perfectly. I had to drill over a thousand 1/8" holes for my kit car build but I used small, double-sided bits in multi packs which I could replace as needed. This set I use for all holes other than 1/8".

61GMGT-wWyL._AC_SL1048_.jpg

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I can sell you a set of good bits, send me a mailing address and I will send you a bit of your choice to try. It is the same set as Snap-on and Mack Tool sells for much more.

Users who are viewing this thread