driver side exh. leaks

mystcobra04

Established Member
hay all, have a question i been having problems with driver side exhaust leaks at the manifold to flang tubing. i mod the exhaust cattless 2.5 tubing to the back, with flow masters. the problem is i keep getting a manifold to flang leaks with a check engine light stating running to lean on that side. I've change out the flang twices and check for cracks at the manifold none found, but a month or two later I develope a leak. I have gone back check for any nuts backing out and they are tight, but you put your hand around the flang their's a leak, has anyone else seen this and if so what the fix. I am going to go with the short header later but would like to fix this before going on. thanks

cj428mach

Established Member
What midpipe? Does it have the reducer fitting installed in it?

Also google Acoustiseal, its a high temp sealer for exhaust stuff.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Do you have the stock shouldered studs coming out of the manifold? If so take them out and put stock replacement NAPA studs in with no shoulder. This will allow more threads to pull the joint tight together. The stock ones can have the nuts bottom out against the flange and shoulder which give the feeling all is tight but it is not.

SV

mystcobra04

Established Member
thanks for the information, i had the shop down size the flange on the tuping to the header. it provided a better seal. I think this will help, if not i going to try the seal menition above. the exhaust kit i ordered is set up for a header application the shop thinks and too big for the header. again thank

mystcobra04

Established Member
hay all, just want to say with the new flang no leaks and no codes. funny how just a small exhaust leak on these new cars can effected the performances.

Users who are viewing this thread