• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Driveshaft bolt backed out

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by Andrew33, Jul 12, 2019.

1. RBB

RBB Well-Known Member Established Member

You’re not incorrect about hitting something and potentially ruining the carbon DS, but I’ve never heard of anyone actually doing it.

Look at it like this, Ford put a carbon fiber DS in the 13-14 GT500 from the factory. If they didn’t think it was an issue then the odds are probably incredibly small.

2. Andrew33

Andrew33 Member Established Member

I’ll most likely just get a carbon fiber one for it. It was on my list of stuff to get eventually.

This is a rough month for my credit card. I already ordered a fore return fuel system, a killer chiller and a boss 302 Laguna Seca x brace and sent the brace off to be powder coated to match my paint. now I most likely will be adding a driveshaft and I still need to get injectors.

How are we all feeling about me just pouring some shoe glue in the bolt hole and calling it a day?

3. RBB

RBB Well-Known Member Established Member

LOL, sounds good to me man. I totally get it, had those months myself. It’s always worse when you’re in the middle of a bunch of mods you’ve planned for, and then some more that you didn’t plan for creep in at the same time.

4. Catmonkey

Catmonkey I Void Warranties! Premium Member Established Member

Anything hitting the driveshaft big enough and with enough force to destroy it, is going to do some serious damage to the underside of your car. I don't lose any sleep over it. If you put that shaft back in temporarily, it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd look at those bolts and make sure they're not compromised. I don't think I'd beat on it too hard either.

5. Tob

Tob Salut! Staff Member Super Moderator

If it was slinging grease either the clamp failed or the boot may be torn.

CF shafts are fine for street duty. As mentioned, witness their use on the '13/'14 as well as the upcoming 2020 GT500 along with other manufacturers using them as well. Just be sure that if you go from a two piece to a one piece that you verify driveline angles and tweak as necessary. The shaft will be smoother in operation and CV joint life will be extended if the angles are optimized.

6. Totalpkg

Totalpkg Active Member Established Member

Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  7. Tob

Can't argue with that one.

:)

8. M91196

M91196 Well-Known Member Established Member

Thread hijack
    I don’t own a Gt500, GT350 and I can’t swing a new 500 but I have read all of the upfit tech articles you’ve written, it’s one of the best parts of this site.
    Appreciate your attention to detail and your process.

einehund and lexustech48 like this.
  9. Tob

Thanks for the kind words. I've learned from every great tech read I ever saw and do my best to emulate.

einehund likes this.
  10. biminiLX

biminiLX never stock Established Member

Unless you’re taking on track or doing very high speed highway blasts, save your money and go aluminum from the local place. It all depends what your plans are with the car. No way I’d put that failed stock shaft back in my car.
    -J

11. Andrew33

My plan for the car is to buy a totalled 11-12 gt500. I’m going to pull that engine and send it off to be built at MPR or accufab. I’m gonna tell them to get crazy with it. I’m swapping my fuel system for a fore return, going to switch to the biggest blower that will fit under the stock hood and then drive it like a 80 year old lady.

The reason for the second engine is I’m in CA and I’m just gonna swap them when it comes time to smog.

lexustech48 likes this.
  12. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

As a former hostage of California, I understand your pain. You cannot ask for a better engine than what Accufab will produce for you. Ive got over $1k of parts from them and the quality and workmanship is outstanding.

me32 likes this.
  13. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Well that is one way to do it. :)

lexustech48 likes this.
  14. lexustech48

Thats dedication, and as a gearhead I admire that dedication.

15. merkyworks

merkyworks Well-Known Member Established Member

Damn, I'm dreading the day comes I have to swap non-catted mid pipe for catted mid pipe to pass inspection. So swapping entire engines to pass emissions is dedication for sure!!

lexustech48 likes this.
  16. Andrew33

I am not afraid of a little work. It’s pretty easy to yank the engine especially if you have a lift you can keep the car on.

I decided while my car is down for the count I should at least detail the interior. So I pulled my seats to vacuum all around and put in my new rear seat delete.

C3F2ABB1-E14E-41FA-A6D0-FBD0931AECF0.jpeg
    Carpet color is a tad off but I am sure it will be less noticeable with the seats in.

Tob and lexustech48 like this.
  17. lexustech48

#thatgrudgeracecarlifetho