driveshaft carrier bearing rubber bushing slop

OX1

Established Member
Seems really loose with only have 12K miles on my 14 GT (see vid). Does not appear carrier bearing/bushing
is available for replacement and even 2 piece stock entire driveshaft does not seem
to be available. Anyone use a carbon fiber shaft that does not increase vibration?

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/MUSTANG GT/DRIVESHAFT/CARRIER BEARING BUSHING/20220630_150645.mp4

(may have to click on 3 dots on lower right to download vid, Win 10
can be a PIA to start my vids off the server I use, sometimes).

hand-filer

Established Member
I have had an aluminum driveshaft on my car for 8 years as well without issues.
However they do add NVH. If I had to do it over again I would go carbon fiber.
There's a reason why Ford went with carbon fiber in lieu of aluminum in the previous generation GT500.

Last edited:

OX1

Established Member
I actually did order a QA1 carbon fiber that was $200 off for July 4th sales. Summit has 90 day return, in case I figure out a way to fix this stock shaft.

Everything I find claims this driveshaft it "not serviceable". So far, this is what I'm trying. Mainly to verify that the recent huge vibration I have over 90, goes away, before mounting a $1600 driveshaft and it doesn't fix it.

I marked all three connections with orange paint to re-install exactly like it came out. No nut to remove on CB flange, so it must be a really tight press fit.

20220703_083030.jpg

Hard to see, but there is nothing but hollow tube looking down hole inside flange that would need to be pressed off to change CB and rubber bushing. So the idea of using some form of puller is out.

20220705_112559.jpg

So there is a tac weld on both brackets.

20220705_111401.jpg

Ground those off and got brackets off bushing.

20220705_112026.jpg

Rubber does not look ripped or cracked in any way. I think Ford just made it too soft to begin with. Hard to believe I could not find more info on these failing, if mine was this bad at this low mileage.

20220705_112038.jpg

Ended up getting some 1/4" X 3/4" rubber strip from McMaster Carr. Luckily, they have a jersey warehouse about 12 miles down the highway from me.

High temp, up to 500F and durometer 50 (so medium hardness)

20220705_170047.jpg

I was able to "shim" the stock rubber bushing all the way around with this rubber strip.

20220705_170058.jpg

All together with bolts holding it for now. Running rubber shim all the way around, also ensures shaft is centered in bushing.

20220705_170453.jpg

Break out the welder and re-tac'd those brackets together

20220705_191417.jpg

Testing the "play", with virtually all my weight on it (whole 156 lbs :))
Seems at least as stiff as the new DS in the only video I could find on S197 shaft replacement. Not sure how long it would hold up this way, but it just needs to make one run to see if vibes go away.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It did, but still not sure it will hold up long term with well over stock power. Will probably install and keep the CF shaft, to be on the safe side.
If your fix took car of the vibration I think an upgrade to CF shaft will be an excellent final solution.
I’ve ran CF shafts for years now and no issues, only positive.
Good luck.
-J

OX1

Established Member
Update on this. I got the QA1 carbon fiber DS installed. Has massive vibration only under hard accel. Assume it is pinion angle change only under accel.

I am not changing control arms, already have the Roush upper/lower (not adjustable) and they are fairly quiet and compliant on the street (and zero wheel hop). So will live with my fixed up stock driveshaft for now and hope it holds up.

Lucky Summit has 90 days return, was able to send QA1 back.

2014gtcs

Established Member
Ford must of gone this route because of cost, my Spicer Dana (Ford Performance) aluminum DS, was one of my first upgrades. I don't experience any xtra noise or vibration even at a buck fifty. A steel two piece DS is not performance in any way, jmo.

SixPak

Established Member
Ford must of gone this route because of cost, my Spicer Dana (Ford Performance) aluminum DS, was one of my first upgrades. I don't experience any xtra noise or vibration even at a buck fifty. A steel two piece DS is not performance in any way, jmo.
+1
Stock two piece is what, 25-30 lbs?
Alum = 12+/- lbs.
CF = 7-8 lbs.

Might make for a good boat anchor, but that’s a lot of unnecessary rotating mass to try spinning things up when it matters the most.

2014gtcs

Established Member
+1
Stock two piece is what, 25-30 lbs?
Alum = 12+/- lbs.
CF = 7-8 lbs.

Might make for a good boat anchor, but that’s a lot of unnecessary rotating mass to try spinning things up when it matters the most.
The Boss 302, GT350 and R, Mach1 and Bullit all have cheesy steel two piece driveshafts, with a soft sloppy center support bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread