• Nope, that was not apart of the "standard features"

Votes: 54 6.7%
  • what the hell is drivetrain clunk?

Votes: 38 4.7%

• Total voters

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Ours has gone away after the tranny had the 26 spline put in. I think the tranny tightened it up a bit too. Who knows, maybe this is the answer?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I Guess for me the bottom line is, if Ford doesn't fix the clunk in the next Cobra, I will have a Vette! I do not think clunk is normal!, it's crap!

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
when I was putting on my catback this weekend, I grabbed the drive shaft and was surprised at the big amount of play in it. I could rotate it slightly, it was not a tight feel at all. I have the same clunk (both sound and seat of the pants feeling) when at highway speeds lifting off and gently getting back on it at speed. My guess is that there is too much play between the drive shaft and the rest of the driveline, causing the clunk for me.
What are your bets as to whether the dealer can fix this? Should I take it in for a new drive shaft? Is there something they can do to remove some of the slack?

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Originally posted by fusion_ta66
I have to respectfully disagree with this. I have owned several performance cars, and none of them clunk. If the drivetrain is set up properly, there should be no clunk. My 65 chevelle (500+ horsepower), has no clunk at all, and uses parts from the 1960's! The heavy-toothed gears shouldn't be 'hitting' each other, they should be already pressing against each consecutive tooth without any power applied. Is this car a good deal? Yes. Is it powerful? Yes. Does that mean that all of a sudden drivetrain slack is OK? No.

Sorry. I'm not talking about drivetrain slack. I've had that (not with this car) with a short shaft. Check the spec's on gear taper now vs. gear taper as recent as the early 90's. :thumbsup:

I think another factor in this is the clutch design on today's limited slip. My '70 Mach didn't clunk. Nor did my '82 5.0, nor my '89 SC. My '93 Camaro and my '98 vette both had it.

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I have a question. Some people seem to think that we hear the clunk more on our cars (03's and 04's) vs other mustangs in general because of the way our rears are attatched to the car. Would this new brace that MJ is making change that? It takes stress of the pumkin...does it also reduce the clunk sound???

Last edited:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Go to page 4 & read what CLB had to say. He nailed it except for one thing, it's not just Ford. :beer:

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Re: Re: Drivetrain CLUNK! YES or NO.

Originally posted by Rob03
Don't dealer's have a universal rim lock key? Not saying they did balance them but I do believe they have a universal key.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

I wouldn't call it a universal key, but most dealers have the master key set......Well, some only have half:rollseyes

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by alex46stang
I had the clunk before the Solid swap, no clunk afterwards:rolling:

That will do it!
Now heres my opinion on the clunk. If you think of how many moving parts there are in an IRS and drivetrain, there is going to be some clunks from mis shifts and pops from suspension movement.
Im not talking about major clunks like some have mentioned especially after buying a used Cobra or those that do a lot of clutch dumps and drag racing....this just accellerates wear big time.
Mine clunked in the beginning, but I eventually learned to get in tune with the feel of MY car. I learned to perfectly match my pedal coordination with both feet to the engine speed and road speed when making shifts and hard accelleration. They are all tied together.
I used to drive for a living, you either get by by clunking and grinding down the road or you and the vehicle become one and run like a well oiled machine.
Ask any Indy or F1 driverand Ill bet theyll tell you the car is just an extension of their fingers and feet to make the car perform. In their case extremely freakin aggressive compared to us street drivers.
Well I guess I put in more than my .02 here, off to work!

Coiled03

Established Member
I've got it, but I don't know if it's really anything out of the ordinary. I've heard plenty of other cars with similar noises.

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Dealer told me the same thing, only my car didn't have the clunk until they replaced my tranny :shrug: So how could it be normal.

LMPerformance

Clunk

My Z28 had the clunk too, and the vibration. Most of it was cured with a rebuilt driveshaft. It was rebalanced and had new spicer greasable U-Joints put in and about 90% of that went away until a lot of hard driving and hard launches :) now its starting to come back again but it was good for about 18 months.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
well I drove a viper, it has the T56 and an IRS and it definatly have NO CLUNK. I specifically looked for it. I dont really buy the excuse Ford is giving. no car should clunk like a bowling ball when you shift. Espcially not a $30+K high performance car.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Mine has had the clunk since I got it and more than my toploader does btw. Jack stand up the rear end both tires off the ground and check for driveline play, in different gears with the clutch out, that will tell you where it is at. It maybe small amount but the car is heavy and will amplify when driving. Check I mean have someone rotate the tires back and forth while you check the drivetrain for slop.

Big turkey

Established Member
My front clunked just about everywhere. Today when I put the car on the lift, we noticed that the A frame wasn't even bolted up. the bolts were completely loose, and I was missing one of them. We tightened it down and sure enough it fixed it.

pro358

Established Member
ford rear ,sounds

It sounds like what I HAD.
I talked to ken brown, so I replaced rear rubber whese
poly ones on the front of the rear dif-gear-house,
and replaced the stock lower front brace with a 1' x 1' x .120
wall dia. go to ken brown's web suit

ed

Boostin03

I live the Viking Song
Established Member
I had the same letter printed and handed to me when i said my tranny was making a "clunk" noise. Also, my tranny makes that diesel noise...its more noticeable when i put on my tri-ax...im gonna give CobraBob a call and see if his shifter gaskets help at all.. RALF

Users who are viewing this thread