• Nope, that was not apart of the "standard features"

Votes: 54 6.7%
  • what the hell is drivetrain clunk?

Votes: 38 4.7%

• Total voters

x14

Established Member
Originally posted by stevieb
Mine clunked in the beginning, but I eventually learned to get in tune with the feel of MY car. I learned to perfectly match my pedal coordination with both feet to the engine speed and road speed when making shifts and hard accelleration. They are all tied together.

You know what. I've drived my cousin's Honda Civic Si and you know what it doesn't clunk!

My 04 Cobra clunk since the day I drove it off the dealer lot. At first I thought it was the car like everyone else. Now I've gotten used to the clunk and have learned where to hold the clutch so I don't get the clunk. I just wish it wasn't this way.

0&SVT&3

TRYMY03
Established Member
tell dealer to pump sand its your differential bushings on the rear end ity has two bushings tell them to giove you new ones i got new ones at 17k and no more clunks

0&SVT&3

TRYMY03
Established Member
bassin247 said:
I took my car to the dealer for the driveline clunk. This is what they had to tell me.

"Driveline clunk during quick acceleration just after coast. Some 99-03 Cobras may exhibit a "clunk" noise from the tranny during a quick acceleration just after coast. The clunk is present in all gears, but may be more noticable in 5th. This condition is a normal charecteristic of the mustang cobra. It is caused by driveline lash reacting to the rapid response of the engine when the throttle is suddenly opened. The clunk noise has no effect on the performance or the durability of the vehicle. If a customer reports this condition, inspect and check the driveshaft attaching bolts, axle mounts, transmition mounts, and subframe mounting bolts proper tourque. No other service should be performed."

What a crock of shit. I had a wonderful day today. First they tell me they can't fix the 80mph vibe because they can't drive it at 80mph and now they tell me this annoying clunking noise is "normal". You know what I want to know. If "SOME 99-03 Cobras may exhibit a "clunk" noise from the tranny during a quick acceleration just after coast, then why is it "a normal charecteristic of the mustang cobra. Does that mean if you car does not have a clunk you should bring it in for repairs? What a crock of shit.

I called up customer service to complain about my 80 mph vibe and they said they would have the dealership check the tire balance and alignment and that "should alleviate the problem". When I asked the dealer if they did that service, they said "YEA". Those **** smoking liars didn't have my rim lock key.. how the hell did they balance the tire while it was still attached to my car?
tell dealer to pump sand its your differential bushings on the rear end ity has two bushings tell them to giove you new ones i got new ones at 17k and no more clunks

DropTopFord 5 0

Established Member
Rob03 said:
Don't dealer's have a universal rim lock key? Not saying they did balance them but I do believe they have a universal key.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

Ya, the dealers have a full set of the rim lock keys. I remember when i snapped my key trying to get off my lugs after i had a new set of treads put on (Tire Warehouse must have torqued them to 1,000,000 ft./lbs) I had to go to the dealership and sure enough they handed me a set of about 50...)

nailed99

Established Member
clunk

My 99 clunks from the rear bad and a little from the transmission but not bad. I was worried about the rear so I put it up on a set of ramps with the emergency brake on and in gear. When I got under there I looked around and saw nothing out of the ordinary and I pushed up on the front of the center pumpkin where the two bushings are and it moved about 1/4" or more. So I am going to replace them and I am sure that is the clunk in the rear I was looking for.

2004 Culebra

Established Member
I have driven my 04 for about 6 months now and last night I seen my miles roll to 12,080 miles. I got a clunk but it is only there when you don't smoothly work the clutch. It seems apparent to me with anything if you just slam on it, don't you think there would be a clunk noise...

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member
oh my

i cant believe this is still a topic at all. THE "CLUNK" IS NORMAL PEOPLE!!!!!

A friend of mine who has a vette says it also is clunky. He has had noe problems with the car and drives it year round. Has to do with the type of trans, not because anything is wrong with it. There are things you can do to make it less noticable, but come on.... we own a a car that is designed for power and speed , not a BMW or a Saab or something....

I have over 12,000 miles now and have had the clunk the entire time. most of miles are from the race track and I have not had any related problems...in fact the only serious problem I had was a idler pulley that literally blew up and caused some other damage when it did so...still nothing serious though..

I have many many complaints about ford and certainly have no intention of defending them, but........THE CLUNK IS NORMAL!!!!!!

Potentn2o

Established Member
I have a new 04 Cobra with less than 500 miles on it to date. It is still 100% bone stock. The clunk that I experience is when I am stopped with it in neutral (at a red light or whatever) I then push in the clutch and push the shifter into first gear. As I am pushing it up into first gear, it clunks. The noise sounds to be coming from the rear end.

This is the first "post 1993" Mustang that I have owned. I have owned a 91 LX hatchback, a 93 LX hatchback and a 93 Limited Edition Convertable. All had five litres and T-5's. I never noticed this condition with those cars. Due to this, I feel it is a IRS thing.

When I first got the new Cobra, I let a good buddy of mine take it out for a little drive. When he came back the first thing out of his mouth was "dam that is one noisey transmission, especially in first gear"

After reading all of the replies here, sounds like it is a common thing.

Users who are viewing this thread