Driving w/ Center Console Removed?

galaxy

Established Member
so I still have the console out working on my Shifteck Alcantara boot kit; waiting on another parking brake boot...separate story.

But...I want to drive the car. The center console has that thingamabobber in th cup holder for the key fob scenario. I haven’t started the car or anything, but can you drive it with that thing unplugged and removed? Does it even do anything on a daily basis?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
The gizmo in the center console is the radio receiver that detects the presence of the key. Without it, your car doesn't know the key is present, so unless you have well-developed car thief skills, you won't be able to start your car with it unplugged.

galaxy

Established Member
Aaahhh. Nothing too major. The boot for the parking brake is smaller than stock. On the first one, I glued the boot to the boot frame using as much material wrapped over the frame as the stock one. That did not work. After installing the boot back on the car, the material pulled too tight along that top/back seam and it prevented the parking brake from fully disengaging. It would not let the handle go full down. After contacting shifteck about this, found out they intentislly made it a bit smaller to clea it up some and alleviate some bunching. That theory works in part, but it makes it pretty tight across the back with the handle down.

On the second attempt (since the replacement boot was the same size as the first one), I used steam to stretch out that seam a small amount, and then was careful to not attach more material to the frame than necessary. I was also careful to not roll under any more material than necesssry to zip tie the boot at the handle end. Once done, it’s still a tight fit and the boot pulls pretty taunt across the back, but the handle is down. I think also after some use, the boot will break in and stretch out some and make it easier to disengage the brake.

That was he only hiccup with the kit. Completely changes the vibe of the interior having the matching material in there.

Users who are viewing this thread