Droid dyno app

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive messed around with ADyno but have been so busy that I have not dialed it in. I think I have most of the inputs. If you are interested I can post them.

rust0r

Established Member
I've used "Dynolicious" for the iphone (not sure if it's ported over for android but I would imagine it is, seems pretty well done).

It's interesting once you're moving, and pretty accurate in terms of measured times, but if you're looking for accurate dyno numbers, you will be hard pressed given that it's basing it off a 1/4 mile run (or shorter if you want), so that 1st+2nd gear where you fight for traction is going to hamper any true output

I imagine most apps operate the same, unless they do it from say a rolling start in specific gear, that's about the only way I see getting around the whole traction issue. Too bad I got it once track season was over

Edit: some of them also feature a skidpad function, which is pretty awesome to see, take the time to calibrate it properly and you can have some fun with it

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
I've used "Dynolicious" for the iphone (not sure if it's ported over for android but I would imagine it is, seems pretty well done).

It's interesting once you're moving, and pretty accurate in terms of measured times, but if you're looking for accurate dyno numbers, you will be hard pressed given that it's basing it off a 1/4 mile run (or shorter if you want), so that 1st+2nd gear where you fight for traction is going to hamper any true output

I imagine most apps operate the same, unless they do it from say a rolling start in specific gear, that's about the only way I see getting around the whole traction issue. Too bad I got it once track season was over

Edit: some of them also feature a skidpad function, which is pretty awesome to see, take the time to calibrate it properly and you can have some fun with it
From what I've read the newer droid devices like the HTC Evo have accelerometers so the software can make them behave similar to the G-Tech meters.

I've read about aDyno and dinodyno or something like that but there are a few more out there than just those two.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Maybe I should download the app to my wifes HTC EVO. See how many G's she is pulling in her Pacifica. :burnout: :lol:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm just amazed that there are apps to even do stuff like this. Wow!

rust0r

Established Member
I'm just amazed that there are apps to even do stuff like this. Wow!

Ya Bob, it's pretty amazing. I came from a Blackberry Bold 2 and had always hated iPhone's, but after a few of my friends got the new 4's I had to have one. It's almost scary some of the stuff the newer phones can do, even if you aren't into phones etc, you really have to appreciate everything that's packed into the latest smart phones (HTC, iPhone, etc).

I love scanning apps, they always amaze people. Place something on a table like business card or any piece of paper, the app takes a picture of it, figures out what is the table and what is the document, then auto crops the imagine to only include the business card or paper, then gives you the option to save, edit, email.

The distance type apps are neat as well, input your height and then you can stand away from a wall, hold the phone infront of your face and look through the on-screen camera, point the crosshairs at the base of a wall, where it meets the floor, and it will tell you the distance to the wall from where you are standing (I've tested it with a tape measure, I wouldn't use it to cut or design anything, but the accuracy is pretty insane)

From what I've read the newer droid devices like the HTC Evo have accelerometers so the software can make them behave similar to the G-Tech meters.

I've read about aDyno and dinodyno or something like that but there are a few more out there than just those two.

Definitely, I truthfully know nothing about droid apps/devices but I know the iphone 4 has accelerometers, I would imagine the HTC's (at least the higher models) do as well

Dynolicious, and possibly the others, have options such as "rollout" (the amount to let your car travel before starting the run/dyno), you can set it down to inches, it's pretty amazing.

I've yet to do a full 1/4 mile run with it, probably won't till track season. Up here in Ontario, 50kph over the speed limit = car impounded for a week, license suspended for a week, possible jail time + $10,000 fine (not to mention you have to pay the towing and impound storage fees) not to mention insurance hikes...but feel free, someone, to let us know how accurate it is :)

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is what I have so far for aDyno inputs for a 2003 Terminator.

Legend:
* - guestimation, needs either better number or instrumented prove out at the track
** - based on same or similar car and adjusted, should be ok
*** - pretty much a fact

Other notes: The max speeds below are from memories from the track and may need some tweaking. The min speeds are calculated from the max's. If these need to be tweaked just let me know. Unfortunately with snow on the ground I can't verfiy until may (yuk). Should add also that this is for stock gearing.

Pitch Characteritics*
2.10 degrees/G

Roll Characteristics*
4.30 degress/G

Weight***

Additional Weight (how fat are you and how much does your gas weigh)

Drive train Losses***
15.0%

Rolling Resistance (Drive train and tire dependant)**
.016 %

Drag Coefficient ***

Frontal Area ***
2.072 m^2

Min Speed RPM (3rd)

Max speed RPM (3rd)

Min Speed (3rd @ 2000 RPM)

Max Speed (3rd @ 6500 RPM)

Min Speed RPM (4th)

Max speed RPM (4th)

Min Speed (4th @ 2000 RPM)

Max Speed (4th @ 6500 RPM)

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
I like angry birds. Have you played that yet?

Yep, angry birds is a great game. But how is that even remotely related to a dyno app?

A more serious question to those that have used a dyno app, whether on droid or iphone. How does it work? Is it using GPS, measuring a given distance, and then giving an estimate on hp?

Technology is amazing, as things are getting more sophisticated seemingly on a daily basis.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I used it with my droid in the 1/8 mile at the track and it was about 1mph high, and within a 1/4 of a second. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. The hp/tq probably isnt as accurate, but the times are damn close.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
To simplify, Adyno uses the internal accelerometer to measure acceleration. Once you know mass and acceleration you can calculate the work. It also incorporates other losses into the calc to get more accuracy on G's and HP/torque calcs. There is a track mode that, in addition to the accelerometer, uses the built in GPS to monitor lap times and speeds as well as cornering, acceleration and braking.

I haven't used it on the track yet; Maybe next summer.

Yep, angry birds is a great game. But how is that even remotely related to a dyno app?

A more serious question to those that have used a dyno app, whether on droid or iphone. How does it work? Is it using GPS, measuring a given distance, and then giving an estimate on hp?

Technology is amazing, as things are getting more sophisticated seemingly on a daily basis.

03DOHC

Established Member
I used it with my droid in the 1/8 mile at the track and it was about 1mph high, and within a 1/4 of a second. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. The hp/tq probably isnt as accurate, but the times are damn close.
Those are very good results. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

03DOHC

Established Member
Here is what I have so far for aDyno inputs for a 2003 Terminator.

Legend:
* - guestimation, needs either better number or instrumented prove out at the track
** - based on same or similar car and adjusted, should be ok
*** - pretty much a fact

Other notes: The max speeds below are from memories from the track and may need some tweaking. The min speeds are calculated from the max's. If these need to be tweaked just let me know. Unfortunately with snow on the ground I can't verfiy until may (yuk). Should add also that this is for stock gearing.

Pitch Characteritics*
2.10 degrees/G

Roll Characteristics*
4.30 degress/G

Weight***

Additional Weight (how fat are you and how much does your gas weigh)

Drive train Losses***
15.0%

Rolling Resistance (Drive train and tire dependant)**
.016 %

Drag Coefficient ***

Frontal Area ***
2.072 m^2

Min Speed RPM (3rd)

Max speed RPM (3rd)

Min Speed (3rd @ 2000 RPM)

Max Speed (3rd @ 6500 RPM)

Min Speed RPM (4th)

Max speed RPM (4th)

Min Speed (4th @ 2000 RPM)

Max Speed (4th @ 6500 RPM)
Interesting how many parameters there are. I guess you could really fine tune it.

Are you using the free version or the pay one?

Users who are viewing this thread