Dropped My A/C Vent Temps to 34.5 Degrees!

metaman

Established Member
I do not currently have a Killer chiller however I have been reading all of the Kincade Killer Chiller threads. There where multiple mentions in these threads about the increase efficiency of the Enviro Safe R12a industrial refrigerant over the r134a. I checked and it was pretty cheap to buy online, so I got enough to recharge my A/C with. Who does not want colder A/C during the summer? I charged it to approximately 38psi on the low side because that was the consensus for where it worked the best.

12:00 Noon Today, Charlotte North Carolina, 90 Degrees ambient outside temps on the freeway easy, about 50% humidity. I put a Blue Point digital thermometer in the vent. 75 MPH 2100 RPM, the air comming out of the vents was 34.5 degrees F. Sitting still at idle it was 41 degrees with only the fan pulling air over the condenser. Other than working as advertised, the other neat thing about this stuff is that you don't have to pull a vacuum on the system for 1/2 hour to boil off any and all moisture. It does not become reactive with moisture like the r134 does. You just pull about 10hg vacuum and load it up.

My Schrader valve stuck open at the low pressure port when I tried to remove the quick coupler for the Manifold Gauge set. Therefore, I have ordered more of the R12a industrial refrigerant so that I can replace the Schrader valve in the low pressure service port. Right now I am holding the coolant in there by leaving the brass/aluminum quick coupler on there with the valve closed on it.

Someone on Modularfords told me that if I replace the orifice tube with the blue orifice tube from an 01 F150 then I will get more flow out of this refrigerant and thus even colder temps. So when I have to re-evacuate the system to replace the Schrader Valve then I will go ahead and replace the orifice tube / filter in the line. I already picked up the blue one from Autozone. It will be interesting to see if we can achieve 32 degrees F.

03yellow

Established Member
what were your ac temps before?
Looks like you use about 6oz of the 12a to 16oz of the 134.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice! My A/C was struggling today while sitting in traffic - definitely cool air, but not COLD air. Starting getting down once I was moving, but I'm probably going to switch to the R12 along with tinting my windows.

metaman

Established Member
An yes, it only takes 6 oz. of industrial 12a to achieve the same line pressure as 1lb of r134. Drops the head pressure of the compressor so much that they claim it only takes 3-4 hp to run it. It only took 2 cans to charge my system. I ended up having to tap a third extra I bought because of the Schrader Valve failure.

03yellow

Established Member
You May get some icing or freezups. The recommended vent temp is around 40 degrees. This would equate to about 31lbs on the low-side with r12a.

I would leave it the way it is and if you have any issues then release some of the pressure on the low side.

Please keep us updated I hate my A/C temps as of now.

Do you really think you need to change the orifice tube not crazy about cracking my system?

The stuff is very flammable so be careful.

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
hrmmm....colder AC? I could really use it down here in Louisiana

metaman

Established Member
You May get some icing or freezups. The recommended vent temp is around 40 degrees. This would equate to about 31lbs on the low-side with r12a.

I would leave it the way it is and if you have any issues then release some of the pressure on the low side.

Please keep us updated I hate my A/C temps as of now.

Do you really think you need to change the orifice tube not crazy about cracking my system?

The stuff is very flammable so be careful.

The stock compressor programming cycles the compressor on and off to prevent freezing. The program is designed for 134a, so I guess it might freeze, we will see. I am glad to be the guinea pig. I have the Manifold Gauge set, so bleeding off pressure is easy. Just hook it up and crack the blue valve.

It is running 38-39 low side at idle. Then at about 1500 RPM it is at about 32-34. Should be OK. I have 94k miles on the original AC, so changing out the orifice tube is a good preventative maintenance thing to do. If I where recharging it with r134a then I would be hesitant to crack open the system because of how reactive that stuff is to moisture. However, since the R12a industrial is not reactive to moisture, then I just run my cheap little pneumatic vacuum pump on it for about 10min.

I bought oil level test sticks that you plug into the low side port that show you what your oil levels are and the condition of your compressor oil. After I have it all wrapped up then I will run the car for a while and check to make sure I do not have to add any oil.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
The first batch I got directly from Enviro Safe. Just google Enviro Safe. The second batch I just had to order is from http://autorefrigerants.com/

Enviro Safe shipped it HazMat through Fed Ex which cost 20.00

Did you have to provide any kind of license number to buy the refrigerant or can anyone purchase it?

Jefe

Established Member
I think mine is around 79 degrees....Sucks, might get the shop manual out and see if this is something I can do myself.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I put a thermometer in front of the center vent for about 45 minutes of freeway driving, at max cold it was about 51 degrees.. but when your stopped, it warms up quite abit..(OEM refigerant)

Users who are viewing this thread