Drove a Boss 302 today. Wow!

Angel562

Established Member
So, i work as a tech at a dealership. Over the weekend we took a 2012 Boss 302 in on trade. Competition Orange with black stripes and accents. Really cool car, and since im the resident Mustang guy at work they asked me to do the safety inspection.

I owned a 2014 GT prior to my GT500 so i had a decent idea of how the car would be as NA versus my FI Shelby.

Holy shitballs, i was not prepared for how damn fun the Boss was to drive!!! Off idle to about 3k is was eh... but get to 4k and WOT... holy balls she pulled and pulled.

That quad exhaust sounds insanely good. Absolutely perfect from the factory. Its got a CAI and tune and came with the X4 flasher, so it probably has a smidge more power than stock.

I cant say i was a fan of the Recaros though. The bolsters and my fat werent having a fun meeting lol. I can see the allure of them if you have a frame that fits them. Ill keep my standard buckets. Or maybe i need to lose weight... hmmmm....

Made me very proud to be a Ford guy. Best NA car ive driven so far!

For those that have driven the Boss and the GT350, how do they compare stock for stock?

My biggest question is; 03/04 Cobra or Boss 302?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Depends on what you want with the vehicle. The Boss can take some boost and has better exclusivity than the Cobra. The Terminator is.. well THE Terminator! I think it comes down to you either want a Terminator to build and go fast or you like the Boss and S197 body/chassis and want to go fast.

Both are amazing cars, but the Boss is more refined IMO.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I will diet 26lbs off my fat ass before I give up my glass roof! :)

I thought about a glass roof. Bought a 2012 Fusion with sunroof, hardly ever used it. Bought a Rubicon, I hate the sun blazing down on me. Even with the sun net/shade across the top. In the spring its not to bad. But it was enough for me to determine, this guy did not need a glass roof.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
The nice thing about the glass roof is you don’t get cooked. It is tinted enough to protect you but still gives the cabin a very open feeling.

Notwithstanding everything I have said, I might have pulled the trigger on a new Boss in Grabber Blue back in the day if they were available with the leather Recaros. GB is my second favorite color behind the SMG on my ‘14.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member

I picked the Boss 302. I had both at the same time, and sold the Cobra first. Both are fun, but I was more comfortable in the S197 (currently more comfortable out of the S197 as I sold my Boss too) and preferred the high revving Roadrunner and more polished chassis of the S197. Not to say the Boss 302 is polished; it's still a raw car but polished compared to the SN95.

Both were yellow, so they got a large amount of attention, but while the Boss is more exclusive I think the Cobra got more respect from other car enthusiasts.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I picked the Boss 302. I had both at the same time, and sold the Cobra first. Both are fun, but I was more comfortable in the S197 (currently more comfortable out of the S197 as I sold my Boss too) and preferred the high revving Roadrunner and more polished chassis of the S197. Not to say the Boss 302 is polished; it's still a raw car but polished compared to the SN95.

Both were yellow, so they got a large amount of attention, but while the Boss is more exclusive I think the Cobra got more respect from other car enthusiasts.

Pretty much the exact same experience with my buddy's Terminator/BOSS. He had a 640 rwhp KB 03 Cobra, and sold it to get a 2012 BOSS 302. While, now years later, the Terminator is the car that "people" still ask him about... the BOSS is the car that made him completely forget about the Cobra, and is the one car that he misses most out of all the Mustangs he's ever had.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'd love to own both.

Before I bought my blue 17 GT I was on the fence about a Boss 302. I found one in Houston for very cheap and was even going to have a member check it out for me but the dude was a flake and refused to call either of us back.

Ended up getting the S550 and didn't regret it but I still do yearn for having the "other" track focused Mustang.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

I had strooooooongly considered going from my SY '04 to a SBY Boss. But the FI options and mt82 were my hang ups. After I pay my current car off, I may go ahead and add a Boss

blk02edge

Established Member
I have had my GT500 for 2 years and haven't redlined it a single time. They did on the dyno last year, but personally I never take it beyond 5k. *shrug*
I couldnt go 5 minutes without full throttle to redline when I had the cobra/viper...

CV355

_
Established Member
I couldnt go 5 minutes without full throttle to redline when I had the cobra/viper...

I can't do it in any vehicle/bike I've ever owned. Even on the track, the most I'd shift at was 1k under redline.

It's a mental block. I have a lot of those...

boduke0220

Established Member
old thread.. but was searching Boss 302 and have to agree, I was always under the impression a boss was "Just" a GT with a better shortblock, seats and some suspension...when I test drove mine for the first time I literally looked at the salesman and said its sold. Chassis is soo tight ( for an S197) and doesn't feel as nose heavy as the Shelby did. Recaro's and 180mph speedometer are awesome too. Factory suspension is pretty impressive, you can really throw this thing into some corners!

I am Convinced the 12/13 Boss is a Majorly overlooked bang for you buck now. Mine had 6500 miles and I got it for right at $32k

that is all. carry on. :)

Last edited:

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Things that need to be addressed in this thread.

1. Grabber Blue is the best color.

2. Good luck high RPM shifting. Gear lockout is real and ultimately pissed me off.

3. Ford is stupid for Vinyl graphics, pressure wash your car? $1k for the hood stripes.

4. Selling the car was a pain and finally traded it in, it seemed people went with the 2013-2014 GT500 or a newer GT over the Boss.

5. Cloth Recaros. My buddy has Leather ones in his TP GHIG GT and they are wayyy better.

I traded mine for a C6Z February 28th, did HCIE and never looked back. The only thing I miss is the color, which is sometimes. I enjoyed my Z more in one month than I enjoyed my Boss in the year and a half I owned it. The Z I also do not worry about miles because I know it holds no true historical value. I cringed every time I took a trip in the Boss. Road tripping in the Z is a blast, I just know my next purchase is a Valentine One radar detector. I still own a mustang for now, a 3v and I do not hate mustangs. My Boss experience was good, just frustrating and I ended up near hating the car.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Things that need to be addressed in this thread.

1. Grabber Blue is the best color.

2. Good luck high RPM shifting. Gear lockout is real and ultimately pissed me off.

3. Ford is stupid for Vinyl graphics, pressure wash your car? $1k for the hood stripes.

4. Selling the car was a pain and finally traded it in, it seemed people went with the 2013-2014 GT500 or a newer GT over the Boss.

5. Cloth Recaros. My buddy has Leather ones in his TP GHIG GT and they are wayyy better.

1. False. School Bus Yellow is the best. Just facts.

2. I never had any issues shifting at 7500 when stock, no gear lockout here. But it could definitely be improved like all MT82 cars. Yes the factory shifter and clutch sucked and would get soft when shifting high, so I replaced them with an MGW shifter, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, and Exedy lightened flywheel. Shifted like a dream at 8200rpm.

3. Name a factory $40k car with painted graphics. Wash your car by hand or a foam cannon, no pressure washers!

4. Selling any specialty car is a pain. Mine sold in a few weeks, it's just about finding the right buyer who understands why the car costs what it costs.

5. This was meant to be a more basic car. So no leather. Anyone get on Porsche's case for cloth door pulls on the RS models?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty much the exact same experience with my buddy's Terminator/BOSS. He had a 640 rwhp KB 03 Cobra, and sold it to get a 2012 BOSS 302. While, now years later, the Terminator is the car that "people" still ask him about... the BOSS is the car that made him completely forget about the Cobra, and is the one car that he misses most out of all the Mustangs he's ever had.

Pffft. Boss has inferior trunk space. Comparison is not valid.

Seriously... I will own a 2013 Boss one day. I bought a Brembo brake 2014 GT with the flimsy MT82 brnd new in 14 and loved it. Trans was great in mine... didn't give me any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread