Dry sleeve recommendations

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Looking for recommendations on manufacturers of dry sleeves. I know Darton is a go to recommendation, but for the life of me cant find the part number for their dry sleeves for my 2011 GT500 block.

I remember this recent thread that @Paul Dube started regarding his adventures accidentally ordering Darton MID sleeves here:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/mid-sleeving-5-4.1161066/

Definitely looking for dry sleeves. Ive been trying to get a hold of Accufab for a shortblock strengthening quote with dry sleeves but no dice. Upcoming racing season probably has them super busy at the moment and messaging system to them is busted lol.

Got to call a few local machine shops here in town for a quote, but figured Id see what you guys may have used already.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I would focus on proven shops and trust their advice. At PRI a few years ago MMR was showing their billet block and their main engine builder said he’d choose’11-12 blocks to sleeve as they don’t have piston squirters.
There are places to save money but this isn’t one.
-J

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The Darton MIDI sleeve is slick, pickup a used block and send it to them.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Darton will also sleeve your block. Give them a call. They already have the parts.
I just looked and it seems they have a headquarters in Carlsbad, CA. Right down the street from one of my old dealerships actually. Ill give them a call, but Ill be super sad if they tell me that Id have to ship my block to Darton East.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So.... interesting lunch break.

I called Ford Performance for information regarding the 11-12 blocks and honing etc. According to these chaps the 11-12 5.4 aluminum GT500 blocks DID NOT GET PTWA SPRAY LINERS. I asked again and he confirmed what he said and even double checked with a gentleman that assembled them on the Romeo Niche line.

So now Im thinking to myself WTF. So far Ive been told about the 11-12 Blocks:

1. Can easily accept a .001 hone for new pistons and rings
2. Dont hone the bores if cross hatch looks ok
3. Dont attempt honing as the liners are thinner than .001" in some spots, manditory sleeves.
4. 11-12 Blocks DID NOT come with the PTWA liners and that honing should be no problem.

Im tempted to say **** it and just get my mains align honed for the ARP main stud kit, gap a new set of rings and just drop new pistons and rods in. Something happens to the factory sleeves (spry liner or pressed) Ill get MID sleeves. Oliver Rods and forged Cobra Jet spec Mahle pistons from JDM make me less apprehensive about a part failure.

The amount of differing information coming FROM the industry about these 11-12 5.4 GT500 block is a little frustrating.

Also, a Darton recommended machine shop explained to me whats involved with MID sleeving. Quoted me $3500 for parts, machining and install, bore and hone and main align honing. .... honestly not too shabby for MID liners and block prep work.

Thats it, Im just dropping in a Ford 460 with Kaase Boss 9 heads on it and calling it a day. lol

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a sad day when Ford engineers don't know what was in a 9 year old model. Here's an article on the Darton Sleeves in a 2011 block.

manny231988

Established Member
I was told by MPR TIM that he don’t care much for the mid sleeves that he didn’t want to get in to some of the sealing issues he’s had, he did my darton dry sleeves in my 13 block

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
sent mine to darton. if you go that route plan on it taking a while. it has been >3 months for me. LOL that Ford Perf told you that the 2011/12s were not spray.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I was told by MPR TIM that he don’t care much for the mid sleeves that he didn’t want to get in to some of the sealing issues he’s had, he did my darton dry sleeves in my 13 block

I wouldn't have anyone but Darton install MIDI sleeves. That is a serious machining operation.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
QMP racing does a lot of modular builds, and lot of sleeves. They’re semi-close to you

This is the 4.6 MIDI sleeves, but even L&M strongly recommended having Darton install this sleeve system. They are sleeves in name only.

darton-sleeve-png.67800

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
This is the 4.6 MIDI sleeves, but even L&M strongly recommended having Darton install this sleeve system. They are sleeves in name only.

darton-sleeve-png.67800

That’s not what the OP asked for, hence my recommendation.

Edit: Previously edited to add dry sleeve part number that I found in an article, but it was actually the wet sleeve part number. Regardless, QMP installs both. I’m not affiliated with them at all, but have had work done by them a few times, and have seen their work several other times.

92F2F89D-A370-42AC-8833-850AED667A0A.jpeg

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Believe me, my jaw about hit the floor when the tried to tell me that. I asked again and he reiterated the pressed in liners.

Blown away was an under-statement.

RBB

Established Member
Ed, I would stay away from the MID sleeves if I were you. Darton East is located here in my town, Winchester, VA and I've known the owner, Howard, for quite a while. I was discussing sleeving my block with him last year and the topic of the MID sleeves came up.

He only recommends those for full out race builds, they're not what you want for a street/strip car. You will most likely have sealing issues/coolant leaks, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread