Dual Disc Clutch Owners In Here

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Last year I installed a RAM dual-disc clutch in my 04 Cobra. The installation was somewhat of a pain, but we worked out all the problems and the clutch works great.

Now, there's only one issue with the clutch, but it's driving me nuts!:cuss: When I press down on the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch, the floater plate makes a very annoying sound (like marbles rattling around in a tin can). It's gotten to the place where I can't stand it any longer so I'm looking for a replacement dual-disc clutch.

My question to everyone else running a similar setup is: What do you like or dislike about your dual-disc clutch? Currently, I'm leaning toward a SPEC dual-disc, but am open to all suggestions...:shrug:

Thanks in advance for your comments. :beer:

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I've been searching for months for a twin disc clutch that is worth the money.

Everyone I hear talking about the twin disc they went with have only had negative experiences with it. I think I may just go with the Spec 3+ myself since there are tons of guys running it and with great luck.

I have not seen anyone who has ran the Spec twin but I can't see myself throwing that much money into a clutch.

I'm sure the Spec is one of the best out there though.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I've been searching for months for a twin disc clutch that is worth the money.

Everyone I hear talking about the twin disc they went with have only had negative experiences with it. I think I may just go with the Spec 3+ myself since there are tons of guys running it and with great luck.

I have not seen anyone who has ran the Spec twin but I can't see myself throwing that much money into a clutch.

I'm sure the Spec is one of the best out there though.

+1 on everything above, I have been researching twins as well. There seem to be issues with all. The only one I see that may work is the stock GT500 as it is installed without any measurements needing to be set etc. Looks like they hold in the ballpark of 700whp.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
i like my twin disk ive had no issues w/ mine i got fidanza 7.6 twin disc it chattered alot when i first put it in but after i put like 1k miles on it its alot better, and it holds really well at the track ive pounded on it all last summer ive got prolly 4-5k miles on it and still goin strong

pony23

Established Member
I am installing a McLeod RXT this weekend. I can give you some more input next week. Looks like a great unit but we will see.

Jroc

Established Member
I use to hate my TD, and know I love it. With a TD you have to have everything install and adjusted perfecty. Your kind of walking a thin line with one, because its either amazingly good or it sucks. There's an extra disk and a friction plate in there so it leaves no room for error. I run a McLeod RST BTW.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
I have a Mcleod RST also and I love it so far...install was no harder than any other clutch.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I read about how critical it is to setup the clutch correctly, but what exactly are we talking about here for adjustments??

I read that the only twin-disc clutch that requires an adjustable pivot ball is the Ram twin-disc. I can see having to adjust the pivot ball to the perfect point being a pain in the ass, but if this isn't required what else has to be adjusted?

I want to go with the Spec P-Trim twin-disc (rated for 1395 lb/ft) but I can't find out a damn thing about it. Has anyone used this clutch or what??? I don't want to drop $2k on a clutch just to find out it blows.

Jroc

Established Member
I read about how critical it is to setup the clutch correctly, but what exactly are we talking about here for adjustments??

The most important part is the install from what I've been told. McLeod will tell you that too. If you think you know what your doing, and don't read the direction, and install it exactly as they say then you run a good chance of messing something up.

With a TD you have a lot less room for error. Lets make an assumption that with a single disk clutch you have 1/2" clearance between everything so that leaves you a good bit of adjustment. Now add an extra disk and a friction plate and you may only have 1/8" clearance or adjustment. Thats a big difference. Again those number mean nothing other than me making an example.

McLeod says the two most common problems people make when installing one of their new TD is they either put the friction plate on wrong or they don't torque the pressure plate down properly. Lee(McLeods Mustang expert) told me that on the phone, and it turned out that my pressure plate wasn't torqued down evenly, and basically only half my clutch was being used. If it was a single disk clutch it would of probably worked fine like it was. Now that everything is torqued down to the specs they give you it work perfectly fine.

I'm not trying to discurage anyone from getting a TD. I love mine. I'm just trying to save y'all some heartache by telling to do exactly what the direction. Torque everything down to specs and everything. The guy who installed my clutch no longer works at the shop I use, but we had the tranny out of the car on 4 seperate occations after the install before we found out what the problem was, and it was a really simple/stupid problem.

If you have everything installed and adjusted correctly then yeah, their great, kickass clutches that work amazingly well.

BTW with a McLeod RST/RXT your more than likely going to need an Adjustable Pivot Ball. My car ended up needing one.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Hopefully Racerat will see this thread. She had a Ram Dual and had quite a few problems with it. She finally switched to a Zoom Dual Disc Clutch and it dripped right in with no problems.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
McLeod RST Twin

The most important part is the install from what I've been told. McLeod will tell you that too. If you think you know what your doing, and don't read the direction, and install it exactly as they say then you run a good chance of messing something up.

With a TD you have a lot less room for error. Lets make an assumption that with a single disk clutch you have 1/2" clearance between everything so that leaves you a good bit of adjustment. Now add an extra disk and a friction plate and you may only have 1/8" clearance or adjustment. Thats a big difference. Again those number mean nothing other than me making an example.

McLeod says the two most common problems people make when installing one of their new TD is they either put the friction plate on wrong or they don't torque the pressure plate down properly. Lee(McLeods Mustang expert) told me that on the phone, and it turned out that my pressure plate wasn't torqued down evenly, and basically only half my clutch was being used. If it was a single disk clutch it would of probably worked fine like it was. Now that everything is torqued down to the specs they give you it work perfectly fine.

I'm not trying to discurage anyone from getting a TD. I love mine. I'm just trying to save y'all some heartache by telling to do exactly what the direction. Torque everything down to specs and everything. The guy who installed my clutch no longer works at the shop I use, but we had the tranny out of the car on 4 seperate occations after the install before we found out what the problem was, and it was a really simple/stupid problem.

If you have everything installed and adjusted correctly then yeah, their great, kickass clutches that work amazingly well.

BTW with a McLeod RST/RXT your more than likely going to need an Adjustable Pivot Ball. My car ended up needing one.

Wait so you finally got that whole issue straightened out?

Is the improper torque adjustments what was causing the fingers on the pressure plate to be uneven? I know you were not happy with the clutch for a while there and MeLeod wasn't being too cooperative if I remember correctly.

Their twin is the only one I would consider right now since it's reasonably priced and will work with my Fidanza flywheel.

Let me know man :beer:

Thanks

04cobrasvt

whipple charged
Established Member
So why does it say "whipple charged" under your name and "HPP twin turbo kit on its way" in your signature? Kinda strange....

Just never Changed any of it. I have pictures if you want....But anyway no install issues what so ever. I believe its a PT trim. I remember it being rated at 1500tq. Petal feel is a little heavier then the spec stage 3+. It does chatter ever so slightly but honestly a clutch capable of this type of power is gonna. Anymore questions just let me know

Users who are viewing this thread