Dumped my bike last month

03CobraBro

Established Member
Finally happened early last month. I was on Highway 44 just outside of Martinsville IN, with a group of about 20 bikes. Friend went through the curve then I started into the curve and got on my rear brake a bit too hard and down shifted. The back tire locked up and I got on the front brake to adjust and the tire caught again, however by then I was coming into the curve too shallow and the front tire got off the road and down she went.

I was going atleast 30mph, just a bit less than the speed limit. It was the only day I decided not to wear my damn jacket, which I usually even wear when its above 90. I am an avid helmet wearer and boy am I glad I was wearing it. I also wear my gloves which saved my hands from a good deal of trauma. Ripped my visor off and I ate a little dirt.

Not sure how far it threw me but it seemed like my body was spinning forever. All in all I had some road rash, a quarter sized puncture in my right foot, broke my collar bone in 3 spots, and broke my scapula. When I was in the ER the Sherriff walked in and pointed at my foot and said "I'm impressed". Anyway I kept my good spirits and good sense of humor. I received no citation or anything, just a simple mistake.

After about 3 weeks my collar bone started healing kinda crooked so they decided to operated. I have a titanium plate in my shoulder now so the collar bone could grow back together straight.

Anyway to make an already long story short I have almost full use of my arm again, took my bike over to the shop last week for an estimate and they decided to total and now I'm just waiting on a response back from the insurance.

Glad I'm alive and healed up and all ready to ride again once everything is said and done.

Daniel

U.S Naval Power
Established Member
Just quit riding all together so you won't have to worry about something like this.

haz-matt

Established Member
Sad to hear bro glad your not totalled though.

I bought an 03 gsxr 600 in early june this year and 2 weeks after I got it (1st bike) I was riding to work one night and someone had dropped a long peice of angle iron in the road longways and it just so happpened that I hit it head on going 60 give or take. I was riding along and was thinking about something, my eyes were on the road but my mind was not. I remember going in the air a bit and somehow landed it, very wobbly might I add, and with the help of the good Lord I was able to slow to a stop and not lay it over, however it bent both rims, and bent the back rim so bad that I lost pressure in the tire. Thankfully ,and very luckily I was not injured. Riding these bikes sure are fun but as I have come to learn early on there are a ton of dangers out there.

Glad your walkng and talking! What kind of bike do you think youll go with next?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Glad to hear you are OK. Any pics of the bike or injuries? Gotta love some gore pictures :)

03CobraBro

Established Member
Haz-matt, that sounds like an even worse situation than I was in as far as the riding perspective is concerned. Glad to hear you are ok too.

Yeah, I rode the 650 going on 4 years and I had been thinking about selling it and getting something else anyway. I've always had my heart set on the Z1000. Especially the 2008 Pearl white.

As far as the gore and destruction pics, give me alittle bit and I'll post em. Its nice to look back now and see how well everything has healed.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Just quit riding all together so you won't have to worry about something like this.

im with this guy

what moron goes grabbing brakes and down shifting IN A TURN much less with half his gear sitting at home
:shrug:

slow down before the curve, accelerate through the curve

its quite simple

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Sell it. There is a reason you don't see many people over 30 on sport bikes. They either crashed and got scared, got old and smart, or died. I sold my R1 because if I didn't kill me, some moron not paying attention when I was doing nothing wrong would have. Take the hint and move on. JM2C.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Sell it. There is a reason you don't see many people over 30 on sport bikes. They either crashed and got scared, got old and smart, or died. I sold my R1 because if I didn't kill me, some moron not paying attention when I was doing nothing wrong would have. Take the hint and move on. JM2C.

I'm 34, that's my CBR in the avatar pic with the Cobra... It's for sale on Craigslist right now mainly for these reasons. The bike has only been down once, because the kickstand sunk into my driveway and it tipped over, scratched the decals on the left side and scratched the tailsection. That's the way I like to keep it... I had a freak accident in my truck that was only 2 months old back in January.. Slid on black ice and rolled 4 times. Luckily just some scratches and a severly bruised ego and a totalled truck. If I did a stunt like that on the bike I'd be 6 feet under.

So ya.. I'm getting older, and want to get out of it and become a cager... I rode 4000 miles in the first 2 years I had the bike, and 900 the last two years.

Anyone who wants it let me know.

Glad you're healing up OP and think hard before you jump back on a bike. They're a ton of fun, but one tiny mistake can hurt ALOT.

spike_africa

Established Member
Looks like you learned a hard lesson. Two wheels with to much rear braking on a corner and its gonna slid out. Just have to learn to ride a bit different and I think you will be fine. To many people rely on the back brake WAY to much. The front is what you need to use more. You can't let these things come out on you when its dry and slid it like a car.

Can't say I haven't almost eaten when I first started riding because of to much back brake.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have been riding motorcycles since I am 8, first dirt bikes and then street bikes.

There are only two types of riders, those that have fallen and those that will fall.

Glad to hear you are okay.

snakecharmer

Established Member
It happens sooner or later. Good thing you were wearing your helmet. I never ceased to be amazed at the morons that refuse to do so.

Two years this October since I dumped the V-rod in the parking deck at work and got a SLAP tear for my troubles. I heard plenty of "you need to sell that *%^*()ing thing" comments. Ignored all of them and was back on my other bike within 2 weeks and rode it till the day of my surgery for the rotator repair. My "graduation" from physical therapy was picking up my V-rod all repaired and riding it to my last PT appointment. :)

03CobraBro

Established Member
im with this guy

what moron goes grabbing brakes and down shifting IN A TURN much less with half his gear sitting at home
:shrug:

slow down before the curve, accelerate through the curve

its quite simple

Its been awhile since I posted here and I forgot about how tough SVTP's love can be. :)

Just to clarify I think something must have got lost in the translation, I was braking to slow down going into the curve. What I mean by going into is that I had not entered the curve when the process was going on.

I had just miscalculated. I'm a sensible rider, and I had never came close to having an issue like that before.

The thought still crosses my mind about not getting back on. My family isn't too fond of it and my GF will probably let me have it if I decide too.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Here is the Gore. I have the destruction pics on another device which I will post later. The staples are from the plate they put in my shoulder, which have since came out.

Photo-0046.jpg

Photo-0045.jpg

Photo-0044.jpg

Photo-0050.jpg

Everything has healed up very well to the point where you can't even tell anything happened anymore.

Mayo5

Established Member
Get a bike with a slipper clutch, or dont use the rear brake.

Wear your FULL GEAR next time. Glad you came out ok, and realized your mistake. Accidents happen on both cars and motorcycles. If you are too nervous about returning to the streets, I can't blame you; but you should maybe looking into to doing track riding. It's much more fun and a bit safer.

haz-matt

Established Member
That makes my foot hurt to look at. Ive gotten a ton of those comments too, about how im going to get killed/hurt, "your gonna lay it down!", etc. Then my little incident happened, and to top it all off, a guy that works with me was riding his harley home before the sun came up just a few weeks later, and hit a deer and he did not survive. He was 43 years old and had 3 kids. Thats the toughest thing for me to think about when I think about getting back on. You can be as careful as you can be and things can still go deathly wrong.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Well that sucks. I had a similar story on my road bike (bicycle) that I crashed at 26 mph, although I didn't have a heavy bike that could land on me, so road rash was the worst I got (wearing my helmet, thumped my head pretty good, but only ended up with a bad headache). Interesting you went down on your shoulder that bad given the speed. Sorry to hear it.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Like I said a few posts up, bike was for sale on CL... Guy text me this morning about it, and came and picked it up this afternoon. I was a little sad to see it go, but I think it's for the best. I haven't been down yet, but there's always that chance.

Don't know if I'll get another one someday or not.

GSRGuy94

Irunelevens
Established Member
Good luck with everything man, I feel your pain. I got hit in the face by an oncoming car a few years ago and broke my neck in 4 places, so I obviously don't ride anymore... but there's nothing like it. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread