Dyno Disappointment

blacknite51

Established Member
Well i finally got my L back together after a year and a half and had it dynoed and I wasnt real happy. To make a long story short we spent more time workin on my xcal 2 updating it than dynoing my truck, than it got late and time ran short as storms moved into the area. Anyway this is how it ended up. Im hopefully going to go back next week and see what else we can get out of it. I was really hopeing for the upper 500 hp and more than 600 tq. I did built bottom end with the trickflow 44cc heads and trickflow stage 2 cams other than that its what i had before. longtubes, whipple 2.3, bassani catback, etc... any thoughts would be cool.
img001.gif

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Thosse numbers are really low for a built motor/whipple combo. What pullies, how much boost, what was your timing and AFR?

blacknite51

Established Member
Stock whipple pulley (3.375) with a 4 pound lower, reading 14#'s, stock timing afr is around 11.7 but it doesnt hold it through the whole curve.

blacknite51

Established Member
Im having the guy that built my motor tune it for me. he spent a lot of time playing with what i already had and he says he can get at least 550 out of it. I know it has some kinks to work out but I leave it to him, he tunes fords only and it seems like he is doing them all the time during the summer because it took 2 weeks for him to have time to do mine.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Sorry I guess I mised the whipple in your mods. Those numbers a re really low for a built whippled L. I hope your talking about 550 RWHP on pump gas because that should be no problem if everything is right.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Im having the guy that built my motor tune it for me. he spent a lot of time playing with what i already had and he says he can get at least 550 out of it. I know it has some kinks to work out but I leave it to him, he tunes fords only and it seems like he is doing them all the time during the summer because it took 2 weeks for him to have time to do mine.
Do yourself a favor and leave the tuning to a engine tuner who knows Lightnings. Lightning motors aren't your normal Ford motors to tune. Forced induction is a whole different ball game than a NA motor. Your motor should easily see 600 Hp. It would be a shame to blow that new built motor because of a bad tune. Or never see the real potential.
JDM and JLP are well known Lightning tuners. These are two I would trust tuning my built motor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread