Dyno results and I need advice!

Dustyn

Established Member
Just took my 5.0 to the dyno and got some basline numbers with it. I was wondering what avenues to go down as far as FI or Intake heads and cam . The engine has never been broken open it has 46,000 on it. I need some advice whether to sc or just go with and Afr heads cam from ed curtis. I wuld like to dip into the 11's but I don't want to loose allot of street abilty. I have looked at the kenne bells and the vortechs But I have also seen some good NA setups putting down some good numbers. Just need some advice.
dyno.jpg

dynostat.jpg

StangD281

Established Member
I'm going to put a copy in the Mustang forum. You may get more of a response in there.

Your air/fuel looks fat & healthy. Nice Hp numbers. I would look into a blower. Although the heads will help breathing, why not do both if you have the cash?

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
AFR's are the best heads out for Ford's 5.0L right now, however Mclaren is working on a new set with all their Formula 1 knowledge. I am eager to see this finished product.

As for intakes, I'd go GT-40. They tend to make better torque numbers than the others, with compareable HP numbers. Just my opinion though.

Dustyn

Established Member
I want to spend no more than 4000 dollars. Do you feel like there can be much of an improvment over the Afr's. I just get tired of sifting through the posts at stangnet sometimes. I would like to stay with the stock bottom end. On that note how will the bottom end of a 5.0 take ? I have heard 500 horsepower.

Dustyn

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
*coughholleysystemmaxcough*
Ryan the holley system max kit is good in Forced induction apps but in NA it actually flows to much. The heads have had some problems also. Its the whole flow Vs velocity thing when it comes to there intakes. I think I have my mind made up between a gt-40 and a performer Rpm. Thanks for your suggestions.

1qwkpny

Established Member
My brother has the systemax II kit on a 342 in his '91 GT I helped build this engine and I can tell you that the holley sy.mxII heads suck out of the box. We spent 1200.00 on porting now they flow great. The holley s.maxII u/l intake is awesome, if your going with a centrifugal blower then it is the intake to have PERIOD. By the way I'ld get a bigger cam too. If I were you I would use the AFR 185 (supercharged) or 165's (n.a.) they are second to none out of the box. The holley intake is not quite as good on the street as the gt40(b/c its more of an upper rpm3000 on up intake). If your keeping the stock shortblock (from which I've personally witnessed make over 650hp with main girdle) I would pull the pan and install a main girdle/support and you'll be fine. The kennebell s/c 'ers are great and would be absolutely killer combined w/afr 185's and a dual pattern cam w/ 112 deg lobe center. Plus at least 30lb injectors/255lph pump. No matter what you do make sure you check the piston to valve clearance(holleys w/2.02 intake valve req. notched pistons)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Ah ok. Now that you mention it...I guess all the praise it gets is on S/C cars........I better do a lil more :read:

OnceBitten

Established Member
My old car (91 GT) ran 11.90s with a bone stock longblock (the heads never even came off the car). Here's the combo:

Cobra Intake
65mm TB
24# Injectors
Pro-M 77mm MAF
B303 Cam
MAC Longtubes
3" H-pipe and Flowmasters
4.10 Gears
190lph fuel pump
MSD 6AL

Add to that a 175hp NOS dry kit and drag radials and you've got a fairly mild, but quick combo.

The car never gave me a bit of trouble...in fact, I drove it to Florida twice (300 miles each way) with no problems whatsoever. For about three grand I had a very streetable car that (with some good driving) outran several 351W cars and even a vorteched '96 cobra.

Just some food for thought...

Dustyn

Established Member
good combo suttle but wild. I will go down about the same path but I am going with a little more engine and less of a shot. stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread