Dyno Results- Boss Intake Manifold to Cobra Jet Intake Manifold

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Ok took the trip up to shingle springs to have Shaun@AED work his magic on the car once again.

This is just to show the gain from Boss IM to the Cobra Jet manifold on this application. All graphs are SAE.

2012 GT M6
Boss intake manifold
JLT CAI
Accufab TB
Pypes LT's with o/r X
Bassani Catback with no resonator's

20130831_092049 by spaded707, on Flickr

Then swapped out for Smoothed up Cobra jet Intake manifold, SCJ monoblade TB and JLT 2010 CAI.

20130831_105015 by spaded707, on Flickr

SAE 91 OCTANE

20130831_200801 by spaded707, on Flickr

Then was tuned on E85, this is the run I have. Maybe Shaun can explain what happened and why it only gained 4rwhp peak, but it gained a lot of midrange hp/tq.

SAE E85 Tune

20130831_200819 by spaded707, on Flickr

This wasn't about peak numbers, just to show my individual gains on 91 octane since that is the most common fuel that people use and between the BOSS IM and CJ IM.

Car drives amazing, pulls hard throughout the entire powerband and doesn't skip a beat. Very happy with the results.

-Thomas

SCalla1384

Established Member
Very nice man congrats!

So up to 4200rpm rwhp is pretty much dead even. After that, CJ takes over.

Torque seems to be pretty equal too, but CJ has the advantage.

Do you plan on doing a custom intake for the CJ?

Only other thing, why does the boss intake and CJ fall off around 6800rpm? Shouldn't they both be making about peak til 75-7600? Just curious....

Good results and comparisons man! Thanks!

robbinthehood

Established Member
So you smoothed out the plenum? Looks worthwhile to do and gained a good amount of midrange

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Very nice man congrats!

So up to 4200rpm rwhp is pretty much dead even. After that, CJ takes over.

Torque seems to be pretty equal too, but CJ has the advantage.

Do you plan on doing a custom intake for the CJ?

Only other thing, why does the boss intake and CJ fall off around 6800rpm? Shouldn't they both be making about peak til 75-7600? Just curious....

Good results and comparisons man! Thanks!

Yea CJ has the advantage with the TQ. I don't know about it falling off around 6800 RPM's maybe shaun will chime in and explain. Car drives amazing and doesn't stock pulling at 7500RPM's.

So you smoothed out the plenum? Looks worthwhile to do and gained a good amount of midrange

Yea another thread showed a good gain with smoothing out the CJ intake.

Congrats nice numbers...but is it me or ur power is peaking at 6500rpm

Maybe shaun can chime in about that.

For anyone that was wondering about the Pypes long tubes, no resonator's, with bassani catback sound here is a crappy cell phone video of the sound on the dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzrmG5VfQEM

-Thomas

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Good numbers, but so much money for that little bump in power. Does the BOSS strut tower fit over the new mani?

No wont fit. No cutout for the strut tower brace.

Im not worried about it being more expensive. I can sell either the boss setup or the CJ setup and make my money back.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Good numbers, but so much money for that little bump in power. Does the BOSS strut tower fit over the new mani?

I believe you have to change engine mounts to lower it, or it will not fit. Maybe spacers to raise the strut tower brace, or would that make it hit the hood?

Shaun@AED

Unless its a real Boss, when TiVCT is optimized we find the Boss IM GT's peak at 6500-6700 like stock, but don't fall off as fast.
Real Bosses make peak power at 7500, but I have not seen a GT do it unless TiVCT was not modified.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So withe 2010 jlt intake used for this setup was there any draw backs shaun? Also was the the scj tb a smooth to tune for?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Congrats on the new setup thomas when you hitting the track again

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Congrats on the upgrade man, getting me excited for my setup, mine is in route as we speak. Looks like across the board a full Bolton cj's with a good tune seems to be at least 450whp car SAE, bc my shop just had a guy put down 453 on a custom 4.5" tube, a dual 65mm tb on 93 pump..

My setup will be a smoothed manifold, dual 65 and 01bluesnake's custom 4.5" cai. Hoping for mid 450-460 on pump and try and shoot for 470 on corn. Though it sucks u did t make much peak, I wish u had a e85 vs 91p overlay to show the midrange gains

I think u would definitely break the 460 mark with a custom or frpp's intake, that's probably the only minor restriction to this setup.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Unless its a real Boss, when TiVCT is optimized we find the Boss IM GT's peak at 6500-6700 like stock, but don't fall off as fast.
Real Bosses make peak power at 7500, but I have not seen a GT do it unless TiVCT was not modified.

Makes sense, so if the GT is making power to ~7500rpm (boss intake) does it usually mean the TiVCT is adjusted, but it's actually not ideal? Leaving power on the table or?

Just because the hype with these intakes is power til ~7600rpm, so I was just confused.

Regardless though... Car made great power. Very impressive. Get back to the track Thomas!

Users who are viewing this thread