Dyno Tune Question

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
When you go to a shop and they Dyno Tune your car what happens to your original factory tune?

Do they email or put it on a disc for you just in case you have to go back to stock for some reason?

I never tuned a car but plan on it this summer so that is why I have the weird question.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Your hand-held programmer will store whatever tune is originally in the car. If they are just flashing the pcm with a tune, then u might want to ask for an original backup. No need though...

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I understand a hand held tuner will store the factory tune.

If I get it tuned by a professional why don't I need my original tune anymore?

MysticRob

Established Member
When you go to a shop and they Dyno Tune your car what happens to your original factory tune?

Do they email or put it on a disc for you just in case you have to go back to stock for some reason?

I never tuned a car but plan on it this summer so that is why I have the weird question.

I understand a hand held tuner will store the factory tune.

If I get it tuned by a professional why don't I need my original tune anymore?

Your questions are a bit confusing so not sure exactly what you're asking. The factory tune is rather conservative, and can't account for large mods like pulley changes, etc, and the vehicle will not run correctly and might lead to engine failure (ie lean condition). Therefore the tuner will custom tune the car for the mods, first loading the factory tune in the handheld, then loading that custom tune into handheld (there's room for multiple tunes in the handheld), then loading the custom tune into the ECM. If the car is returned to stock, simply use the handheld to reload the factory tune that's still stored in the handheld. The factory tune might be able to be stored in another medium besides the handheld but I've never heard of it being done, and not sure why anyone would want it done unless they're concerned the handheld might crap out. :beer:

Last edited:

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I always thought they used a computer for tunes, not handheld units or do they use handheld units?

b_dike

Established Member
I always thought they used a computer for tunes, not handheld units or do they use handheld units?

They do, but the handheld can store the data. Allowing for easy transfer from car to pc, and visa versa. Also having a handheld vs a chip will allow minor tweaks to the tune down the road.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
OK looks like I will buy a tuner so when I get it tuned I can keep my info and change things if needed easier.

Users who are viewing this thread