E- brake / Parking brake not disengaging!?

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
What's up everybody?

TL;DR: I'm pretty sure my parking brake doesn't disengage all the way. Loud grindin noise comes from right rear, but fades the longer I drive it. As soon as I park it comes back again. How can I fix it?

Full version:
So one day I went to the park with my wife. When we go to leave I hear this awful grinding noise that changes with the speed I'm driving.

After 5-10 mins it goes away. I check the dust shields and all looks good. They're not bent and I see no tiny rocks lodged inbetween it and the rotor.

So any time I drove it that sound would be present for a few minutes and go away as I drove. Whenever I parked and started driving again it would come back. No matter how short of a time I was parked.

Today I replaced the brakes hoping that would fix the problem ( they were worn to shit anyway). I noticed the right rear caliper was a bitch to get the piston back in to the point I thought maybe it was seized. But persistence paid off and I got that sucker to compress.

So new brakes are on... I'm excited. I drive off to perform the break in procedure and there it is. That awful grinding noise, but now it's even louder! I assume that's because of the new pads.

I start lightly pulling up the e-brake to confirm that's what the sound is and low and behold the grinding noise changes as I adjust the e-brake.

So she's parked again. I don't want to mess up the pads and rotors by having the parking brake engaged and dragging across the surface of my brand new rotors.

Anyone have this issue or have any idea on how to fix it? I'm considering disengaging the parking brake cable to see if that solves the issue and to confirm it's definitely the parking brake. But long term I'd like to have a working e- brake.

Thanks for the help!

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
Sounds like a frozen guide pin.

Are you referring to the 2 pins that are greased and covered by a rubber boot on both sides of the caliper? Held in by 12 mm bolts?
00000019.jpg

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
Yes. These will freeze up

Than the other issue is post on pad must go into piston.

When you screwed pistons in the holes need to be inline to pad

Here is parking brake tension if you think it’s this.

https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/images/Ford/S3B/S3B65004.pdf

Well, I don't think it has to do with the caliper piston being aligned because it randomly started before I changed the brakes. I regreased the pins before I put them in and could compress them with no issues, does that rule out them being frozen?

I don't particularly want to take the brakes apart again, but I definitely will to sort this out. I miss the heck out of driving it.

Any instructions on how to disconnect the ebrake to either confirm it or rule it out as the culprit?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Link above shows how to release tension on cable.

Or take cable off caliper.

Another issue

Drivers side wheel bearing nut may back off causing this also.

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
Okay disconnecting the cable from caliper fixed the noise.

But it's not ideal not having an e brake, does this get us any closer to what a real solution would be?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
id probably just replace both rear calipers and be done with it. get some speed bleeders while you're at it

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If disxojnectinf the ebrake fixed the problem why would I replace the calipers?

Asking not arguing

I suppose I jumped the gun a tad, the ebrake cable could be failing to release the tension as well. You saying one piston was hard to turn in leads me to think that one is sticking. Sounds like when you release the ebrake/parking brake the brake isnt releasing.

xkairos_hxc

Established Member
I suppose I jumped the gun a tad, the ebrake cable could be failing to release the tension as well. You saying one piston was hard to turn in leads me to think that one is sticking. Sounds like when you release the ebrake/parking brake the brake isnt releasing.

That's exactly what I think happened is the ebrake wasn't disengaging making it hard to turn.

I retracted the caliper again today when I disconnected the ebrake just to be sure the caliper released the pressure and it went in super easy.

Unfortunately now that the ebrake grinding sound is gone I have a rubbing sound coming from the front right. Only when the ground isn't perfectly smooth. But even the slightest wave it makes like a rotational creaking sound. Wheel bearing? I'm about over this

Users who are viewing this thread