E85 and High flow cats

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Was wondering if E85 would damage High-flow cats overtime? I was told by a local gearhead that I shouldn't be running cats on my set up cause it will cause them to clog?

Any truth to that comment?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've been running the same high flow cats since 2015. I switched to E85 last summer and I just had the mid pipe off for a header install and the cats looked fine.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Flex fuel vehicles can run e85 from the factory and they have cats… I don’t see how there’s any truth to this
Exactly what I said! His respond was newer vehicles are not pushing 6-700hp on e85. he said my cats will eventually over heat swell up and clog?

"01yellercobra" I've had my Kooks set up since Aug 2015/ been on e85 for 2 years. Exhaust was just pulled off for a tranny install, mine looks good as well, I actually thought it was kind of restrictive looking for a high flow cat.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Can I ask what’s your setup?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Standard inlet Whipple 2.9 at 20psi. It was at 18psi until about 4 months ago. I have flex fuel capability with the MS3 in it now. So like currently it's at E40 in the tank because where the car is there is no E85. The cats currently on the car were on my 01 Cobra with a big bore stroker and F1A making 650+.
Exactly what I said! His respond was newer vehicles are not pushing 6-700hp on e85. he said my cats will eventually over heat swell up and clog?

"01yellercobra" I've had my Kooks set up since Aug 2015/ been on e85 for 2 years. Exhaust was just pulled off for a tranny install, mine looks good as well, I actually thought it was kind of restrictive looking for a high flow cat.

I have small high flow cats. I picked them up from Bassani when the first set came apart because I had engine issues. There are some that can't handle the extra heat and flow. And I think some tuners turn off all the safety options for the cats. When I had the stock ECU I kept all the safety options on. Even though I've only been on E85 for a few months I've probably put at least 2000 miles on it in that time. And that's aiming low really.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s my understanding the looks green cats are some of the best on the market. My car made a little over 700 on e85 with room to grow closer to 800, tuner didn’t think it would be an issue. I mostly run 93 though

Stage 4.6

Established Member
My car made good power over 700hp w/kooks cats & LTs, and currently have zero issues! I'm just curious to know if e85 would damage them in the long run?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If anything I would think E85 would help clean them. Less residue after the burn. At least that's what it seems like to me.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I agree with others. My 04 has been running Magnafow High Flow Cats since 2005 and been on E85 since 2009. Making over 700 since and still fine today.

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't like the smell of E85 through cats, its a rather weird chemical smell. The non cat E85 smell actually smells good and kind of sweet smelling.

Zemedici

Established Member
never heard of that

guessing it didnt come from a 'young' person

E85 is the 'new kid on the block' and lot of old school guys just simply dont trust it

Users who are viewing this thread