E85 Fuel Sample.

bullittbuild

Established Member
E85 is $2.11 and 93 is $3.43 here, I am interested to see if anything happens with the 10 micron aeromotive filter. I'm nervous about putting my fuel system together and using the paper filter.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Just a test like this, but more more scientific and with more variables. I'll have to dig out a lot of my lab equipment to make it happen.
:pop:

E85 is $2.11 and 93 is $3.43 here, I am interested to see if anything happens with the 10 micron aeromotive filter. I'm nervous about putting my fuel system together and using the paper filter.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/distillery-374/740010-fuel-filter-after-1-5-years.html

GodStang

Established Member
My e85 tester came in the mail yesterday. I will get out to the shop in the next few days to test it. I am modding the mess out of my new Fore hat so I got to go put the new parts on. I plan this to be a long haul and will update every few months so people can get an idea of whats going on.

On a side note I was planning to get two tunes one 93 octane and one E85 for the times, like at Mustang Week, where the town does not have E85. The problem I have run into is the fact that you will have to drain the tank between tunes. Which may be expensive. If the tuner does it. I still want to run 93. I always carry the tools and a pulley and a belt in my car so this would be no big deal. I guess I may try and get just a mail order tune for the 93 octane. I have plenty of time to decide.

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Josh ....your quote
On a side note I was planning to get two tunes one 93 octane and one E85 for the times

does this mean you got to drain the gas out when swapping to the other fuel while tuning ?
i mean ''how do'' tuners do this ? :shrug:
thanks

GodStang

Established Member
Josh ....your quote
On a side note I was planning to get two tunes one 93 octane and one E85 for the times

does this mean you got to drain the gas out when swapping to the other fuel while tuning ?
i mean ''how do'' tuners do this ? :shrug:
thanks

Yes you have to drain the tank. Not sure how each turner does it. We dropped may tank and hand pumped all the 93 out so I can add E85. I am not sure what the best route is.

MVD

Established Member
I am not sure what the best route is.

Just disconnect the fuel line at the filter (or any other fitting) and cycle the pumps. Most tuners can give you a "tank drain" tune which will run the pumps non stop with the key in the on position.

A thousand times easier than dropping the tank and hand pumping.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I have two tunes on a flip switch. I have only used my E-85 tune since I got it all complete. If I had to use 93 octane I would make sure almost all of my E-85 was gone and then put 93 in it if E-85 was not available. That is just me personally but I am very anal/precautious about the Cobra.

I don't mess with her so she doesn't bite me :)

GodStang

Established Member
Just disconnect the fuel line at the filter (or any other fitting) and cycle the pumps. Most tuners can give you a "tank drain" tune which will run the pumps non stop with the key in the on position.

A thousand times easier than dropping the tank and hand pumping.

We had the tank out and hat taken out so running the pimps would do no good haha. Did not thing about running the pumps on a tune. We have jumpered them straight to the battery before to test the pumps.

03roush

01 Roush Stage 3 #106
Established Member
Might be a dumb ? but how do the SUV's and alike that can run on e-85 and regular gas work, They are a flexfuel vehicle aren't they and they don't have to drain there tank?

GodStang

Established Member
Might be a dumb ? but how do the SUV's and alike that can run on e-85 and regular gas work, They are a flexfuel vehicle aren't they and they don't have to drain there tank?

They have a special sensor but again they are also not running 700 to 800rwhp.

RFH

Established Member
because they run closed loop and the computer can adjust the AFR to stoich for any mixture of gas and ethanol. You could do this at WOT if the ECU was programmed to operate in closed loop instead of open loop.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Yes you have to drain the tank. Not sure how each turner does it. We dropped may tank and hand pumped all the 93 out so I can add E85. I am not sure what the best route is.
i wonder if people with 93 AND E-85 can **ELABRATE** on this tuning some.:shrug:

if you get a dyno tune on 93 pump,
then later on go get a E-85 dyno tune, you will have to pay twice.

but do they charge you twice to began with ?

i think all i need is to get 80 LB INJ. and install my B.A.P that i didn't need before.

**edit** i didn't see the 2nd page LOL.

Last edited:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
i wonder if people with 93 AND E-85 can **ELABRATE** on this tuning some.:shrug:

if you get a dyno tune on 93 pump,
then later on go get a E-85 dyno tune, you will have to pay twice.

but do they charge you twice to began with ?

i think all i need is to get 80 LB INJ. and install my B.A.P that i didn't need before.

**edit** i didn't see the 2nd page LOL.

In my particular experience I paid for two tunes, I was charged by hourly shop time. I got both tunes done at the same time. my 93 tune was run and completed and then the tank was drained and E-85 was added and then my chip was tuned/written for the E-85 fuel.

I am on a 2.76 upper and stock lower with Longtubes and full catless bassani exhaust. I added 60lb injectors and a SCT BA 2600 MAF and my stock pumps are around 90% with my KB BAP installed.
In my opinion it can't hurt to get 80lb injectors, someone else may chime in on this but then you will have room to grow.

Car made 511rwhp and 488rwtq on the E-85 with 19* of timing.

SORRY TO THE OP FOR THE THREAD DERAIL!

I am excited to see the results.

I should have just PM'ed this info to the member who asked. I apologize

bullittbuild

Established Member

Thats why a sumped tank is awesome you just take the line off and your done.

vjay88

Too little to late
Established Member
I really think it would be great if there was new thread made focusing on the openers idea, maybe made into a sticky and if the opener was so kind maybe to post a pic once a week to just keep us updated. :beer:

GodStang

Established Member
I hope to update soon. I have been pretty sick for a month. So only messed with my car 1 time. Hope in the next week or two to start taking more pics of it and actually test the the % Ethanol it is.

My belief is that many of the items will take awhile so it may be a year or longer. It is over out of the way at the shop and we will continue to update over time.

GTBill

Established Member
So if this is a chance to test the corrosive properties then is the plastic bottle a worry? Maybe the OP should have used glass? just a thought.

GodStang

Established Member
So if this is a chance to test the corrosive properties then is the plastic bottle a worry? Maybe the OP should have used glass? just a thought.

Nope that is part of the test also. After taking the pic I set it inside another container so that if it does go through one it will give us results. If it never goes through the plastic than that is good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread