E85 Fuel Sample.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
interesting! wonder why the fuel turned green. either way i still think im going to pull the fuel out of my car before i put it to bed for the winter.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
So it took 10months for the fuel fo turn green then.?
and the.blue fittings dont LOOK good ?

Last edited:

Evil_GT

KB-E85
Established Member
Wow, very interesting. Normally my car will sit for 2-4 months, so I'm assuming the fuel should be good for that period of time. I will drive my car during the winter, as long as there is no salt on the roads or water/snow. So atleast it would get driven. I def would get a fresh tank of gas after the sitting period though.

Very good thread, thanks for sharing the pictures.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
In your opinion, how was the texture of the rubber line? Did it seem somewhat brittle or have any noticeable change in its characteristics?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The green could have been from the outside of the steel braided line or the rubber line. Only the inside of the fuel line is fuel rated.

SSeatr

Established Member
I agree nothing major. The only thing this may bring up is if you are going to let your car site for a year drain the tank. I think most fuels would not be that great after a year.

now put them in pump gas and let them sit for the same amount of time, it will probably turn green also. i think it might be moisture.

I work on boats and now we are winterizing we always change fuel filter and everything this time and 98% of the fuel filters dump out a greenish fuel similar to what the E85 looks like in your jar.

the gunk is most likely debris that was on the parts that the fuel cleaned off the parts, and got stuck on the 1 fitting.

working on marine applications we have tons of problems with ethanol in the pump gas, with outboards for example all the lines run through a tube from powerhead to the boat. we had one with a slight fuel leak into the plastic tube and it destroyed the bat. cable to the starter. the other issue we run into is ethanol ruining fiberglass tanks in boats. now this is only pump gas not E85. then again cars are made to handle it where as some of these boats were not.
here are those cables we removed..
27h5f.jpg

jetmech

Established Member
Guys the green stuff is call microbial growth and this is normal when fuel sits. Any fuel will do the same thing. It's this bacteria that causes the corrosion. So as long as you keep up with it and not let it sit for a year, but I think that would be common sense anyway. I think it would be advantagious to change to fittings, o-rings, hoses that are alcohol compatible since it has a lot of the same charateristics.

Users who are viewing this thread