E98?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Yeah, ethanol behaves very differently from gasoline, although i think a lot of the difference is pretty much smoke and mirrors by people who want to sell you special parts and pieces. Ethanol is just alcohol, just like methanol. And methanol has been used in race engines for 70 years or more. The difference is that methanol can be used at 100% , while ethanol has to be cut with 87 octane to get it to light. And that's where some of the special tuning comes in because you're having to put alcohol AND 87 pump gas through the motor.

is and isnt....methanol is highly corosive and I believe you use even MORE fuel (50%+ over gas) flow volume which is why you have to change the oil every race bc it just floods the oil.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Yeah, ethanol behaves very differently from gasoline, although i think a lot of the difference is pretty much smoke and mirrors by people who want to sell you special parts and pieces. Ethanol is just alcohol, just like methanol. And methanol has been used in race engines for 70 years or more. The difference is that methanol can be used at 100% , while ethanol has to be cut with 87 octane to get it to light. And that's where some of the special tuning comes in because you're having to put alcohol AND 87 pump gas through the motor.
I will agree that some of the marketing with selling special parts for the E85 fuel systems is bogus. I simply did some research to dispel those myths. Along those lines, you have a lot of places dogging E85 because it’s cheap, makes more power safely than race gas, and it’s cutting into their profits. A lot of these places have run, sold, or built cars around race gas for years and they won’t budge off of it and try something different. It definitely levels the playing field. A car that previously could only be run at the track because of the high cost and lack of availablity of the race fuel can now be driven on the street also and filled up at the pump.

Yes, Ethanol is alcohol but it is not Methanol. It has some different properties than Methanol. You can’t really compare the two. But there is a reason people have run Methanol for so long—it makes great power. The other thing is that E85 is cut with gasoline (for easier starting for example) and is available at the pump. Pure Methanol is actually harder to light than pure Ethanol and Ethanol is harder to light than gaoline. From what I’ve seen, E85 works better and makes safer power than E98. Why is this? Don’t know. I’m not trying to throw out a bunch of smoke and mirror stuff either regarding “hidden secrets” with E85. If anything, the "smoke and mirrors" centers around tuning a car on E85. I honestly don’t think the high performance industry has discovered the true potential of E85 (not E98) and why it works so well. The bottom line is that it is becoming apparent that people are making a lot of huge and reliable power with E85 at a fraction of the cost and inconvenience of race gas.

The bottom line is that people can believe what they want. There’s still a lot of opposition to it for whatever reasons. I’ve had great success with it and my whole build was centered around running E85 exclusively. I’ll continue to run it and test it at different blends and make huge power. The advantages far outweight the diasadvantages and you don’t have to convince me not to run it, lol.

50q's

Established Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JShelton
The higher the octane the harder it is to lite. As in the words of Mark Sullens" Why would you add a hard to lite fuel to a hard to lite fuel" Or something like that!LOL! I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.
100% correct...

people think that if this is good then this must be better....not always the case.

such as we made the same power with 87% as we did with 98% except the 87% lit better.

we made pulls with 98% cut with race gas and when we switched to pump E85 we made more power...

we then tested 98% cut with 112octane and 98% cut with 87octane.....the 87 made slightly more power because the 112 wasnt getting lit properly....and burn rate was down.

keep it simple....the gas is in there to get the flame started and is in there for NO OTHER REASON.
thats why we have winter and summer blends.

Mark

quoted from YB

Ethanol Calculators

Mike Croley

Established Member
is and isnt....methanol is highly corosive and I believe you use even MORE fuel (50%+ over gas) flow volume which is why you have to change the oil every race bc it just floods the oil.

No, the fuel usage is very similar. About 35%+ over gas depending on your setup. Some people do have problems with methanol in the oil pan, but it's more due to tune up mistakes and the wrong choice of oil. But ethanol has the very same problems. In fact Brad Penn Oils recently announced that they do not recommend using their oils with ethanol fuels. Other oil manufacturers have made similar announcements.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
No, the fuel usage is very similar. About 35%+ over gas depending on your setup. Some people do have problems with methanol in the oil pan, but it's more due to tune up mistakes and the wrong choice of oil. But ethanol has the very same problems. In fact Brad Penn Oils recently announced that they do not recommend using their oils with ethanol fuels. Other oil manufacturers have made similar announcements.

Yes.....look at the stoich.....and i guess everyone i know using it is doing it wrong...

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
99gtvert- thanks for the info, i will keep that in mind if i go to get more.
Everyone else- look i was just spreading the word incase someone wanted to buy some. the car isnt a full blown drag car and i was just curious on the fuel so im going to tune on it. as far as meth goes, i would use way more fuel and its not as cheap some ethanol. but hey, if e98 dosent work to my liking, i can break down to e85 and get a steady and safe consistant tank every time. Here is why im trying this also, i dont know if many people invest in a little handy ethanol reader that you can use to check fuel at the pump or not. but i know that the fuel around my area bounces from diff. %'s. As far as most other people its common for this in other areas as well. talking to manufacture who supplie marathons and other gas stations with the e85, they informed me that pump e85 is broke down e100 with the bottom of the barrel crap leaded fuel. like 87. sooooo with that being said, it kind of gave me a thought as to try this out.

Users who are viewing this thread