Early death of a walbro

bunits19714

Established Member
Anyone else experience pre mature failure of a walbro pumps f90000267? I got less than 3500 miles out of one of mine, had one out of the two go down last night on the dyno.

Gruca

Established Member
Anyone else experience pre mature failure of a walbro pumps f90000267? I got less than 3500 miles out of one of mine, had one out of the two go down last night on the dyno.

After some research before buying my fuel system (and with the recommendation of my tuner) I decided not to get a fuel system using aftermarket pumps. I used 2 GT350 pumps with a harness adapter. The adapter allows both pumps to run like stock.

It doesn’t answer your question at all, but your issue is what I came across on occasion when researching.

bunits19714

Established Member
It is something I am going to have to keep my eye on and maybe install a fuel pressure safety shut down, TI manufactures the pumps, and multiple companies brand this particular model pump. (TI is one of the largest fuel system manufactures in the world many oem use them) Summit dropped the ball delivering the pump so I just spent 6.5 hours going to get the pump and dropping it at the shop so they could get the car back up and finally tuned.

JeremyH

Established Member
A lot of factors can play a role in the life of the pump(s). Could just be bad luck or flaw in the pump, but also you could post up the rest of your system and how it is setup to maybe identify a weak link in your setup. So stuff like base pressure, boost pressure and system restrictions rail/regulator config? How are they getting fed power, does the car see a lot of street driving constant use and so on.

I do know the 267 (pressure relief around 80psi) and 274 (higher pressure version) have been on back order to a lot of distributors for the past week or so as well, so at least you were able to get a replacement.

From what I have been seeing if you run around 3bar or 40ish base pressure the 267 version is fine. If you run closer to 4 bar or 55psi or higher base pressure you should go with the higher pressure 274 version of the pump.

Also you don't truely know what pressure the pumps are having to put out unless you measure pressure at the hat outlet or pre filter. It can be significantly higher (10-20psi even on a seemingly healthly system) that plays a big role in the life of a pump, especially these bigger pumps with high current motors. Worse case scenario I have heard of pumps melting and upon inspection a dirty filter was causing a 40psi restriction, so even at idle that cars pumps were trying to put out 80psi just to get 40psi to the rails.

Ti has owned the walbro since early 2000's and a few years ago began to phase out the brand name on their products.

bunits19714

Established Member
it is a fore hat and jpc kit regulated after the jpc-10 rails with a -8 return- I thought I lost the pump on the dyno- turns out it probably went down late summer last year after looking at the logs- (tuner says) it was trying to make 35% corrrect in the pulse width to bring fuel trims up(this is greek to me) just lucky I didn't melt it down on the half mile and at the dragstrip last fall- when my system was installed the fuel level sender was hung up so it didn't read correctly below 1/2 a tank- and I actually ran the car completely out of fuel. This is what I am figuring actually probably caused the early death. I believe both pumps are running when car is running . On a side note 1 pump was keeping up to about 6650 @ +700 rwhp -lol. *** pressure is set @ 60

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've had a couple fail over the years but their usually double pumpers and one goes bad eventually. I don't keep fuel pumps for more then a couple years b4 replacing. their cheap but my motor sure aint.

JeremyH

Established Member
Sounds like it just got abused then, the pump motor is cooled as fuel passes through it and these are much hotter running pumps, two of the 465 pumps puts out something like 400-500 watts of heat so easily could have been damaged from running dry.

On another note you may want the high pressure (274) version of those pumps in the future with that high 60psi base pressure, that plus boost plus line and filters losses puts you close to the pressure relief on them. Sounds like your hovering right under it right now. I know with a 55psi base pressure at around the 800rwhp mark or so they start pushing open the relief spring.

Last edited:

bunits19714

Established Member
I agree on that, hell after I ordered it from summit @ 132 plus tax-141.** found the same pump for 89 plus the 4-5.95 shipping/handling(amazon). I may just order 2 and put them on the shelf

JeremyH

Established Member
That's what I do as well, I have a spare 465 in the garage but haven't had to replace anything in the past 4-5 years. I run a staggered setup so I only have one always on pump which is a smaller 340lph. And then my second pump is a 465lph that's on a hobbs so it only comes on in boost when I need it. I mostly street drive my car and really helps keep temps down and the big pump off when just idling, stop and go, cruising etc.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I had my 405's go out after running below 1/4 tank so I think I overheated it. Now I run twin 465's and going on my 2nd year with them and no issues. I just make sure I never go below 1/4 tank.

RLB01

Established Member
Good info guys. Getting ready to install a new fuel system using both 267 pumps in the primary and secondary. Will still install them but being sure not to let the fuel tank get below 1/4.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Where did you buy the pumps from? Walbro was having a huge counterfeit problem and it was almost impossible to tell the difference. One big thing is to stay away from "great deals" and I only buy from reputable shops or straight from the manufacturer. I would never buy pumps from Amazon unless the seller was Walbro.

RLB01

Established Member
Purchased the complete level 1 dual pump fuel system from Fore Innovations.

RLB01

Established Member
All depends on which items you choose. Go to their web-site it will price it out.

JeffB in MI

Hi Guys, ran across your thread searching for reasons my F90000267 is failing. I have burned through 5 of them now... had been running with a JD PowerMax voltage amp but disabled the voltage increase after last failure... Did you ever find the cause of failure?

Thanks
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread