EATON SEIZED!!!!

PETE03SVT

Established Member
I'd like to start off by saying that i surf this website very frequently and i think this is a good reason to make my first post here. The mods to my car are basically every bolt-on, full exhaust , RR 2.80 upper and Metco 6lb. lower on a stock eaton. Boost was around 19-20 psi. I was merging onto the highway so i stepped on it in 3rd gear and 4th to about 6k rpm and the next thing you know every light on my dash lights up and the car shuts down. So i pull the blower off the car and what an ugly scene. Every single blade had been resurfaced and the caseing on the blower had been chewed-up. Thank god we have an intercooler underneath the blower wich gets used as a filter in cases like these to stop metal peices from getting into the motor. So i sent the blower out to Apten and the guys there told me that I melted the bearing in the front of the blower wich got caught up in the blades and grinded everything up. I'm waiting for my new Apten modified blower wich is in the mail and i'm not taking any chances with the old intercooler, so i bought a new one from Ford. I'll keep you guys posted.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Wow, sorry to hear about that one. How long have you been running the 2.8 and 6#?

A couple of weeks ago Dougwg was wondering how long an overspun blower was going to last.......

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's why I trying to stay content with my 2.90" upper only. :rollseyes

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
You definitely pushed that baby beyond it limits!

Good luck with the new one and glad that was the only damage.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I Imagine your the one that was mentioned in this forum before about the failure that we heard about. How many miles do you have on this set up also with any other boosted set ups on that eaton.

PETE03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by NMRAcer
How much is this Apten modified blower? And what is modified?
If you go on Apten's website www.Apten-us.com it tells you about the pricing. As far as modifying the blower, they use much stronger bearings and they port the inlet and underside of the blower.

PETE03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by RGrossman
PETE03SVT, what was the boost dropoff when you get into the high rpms?
From 19-20 to 15-16 psi after about 6,000 RPM with Metco 100mm idler.

PETE03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
I Imagine your the one that was mentioned in this forum before about the failure that we heard about. How many miles do you have on this set up also with any other boosted set ups on that eaton.
Yes, i am that person mentioned. Before the 6lb lower i only had the 2.8 upper for about 6k and with the upper lower combo it had about 5k. Total miles on the car 13k

KBCOBRA KILLER

Sorry to hear about that PETE. That was alot of boost!!!!!! NOW ITS TIME FOR THE ATI SETUP!!!!!!! F1R..............

PEACE

mosconiac

Established Member
Since I've not seen the damaged blower, the following comment might be off, but....do you think your failure was due to excessive loading of the front bearing from running an excessively tight belt????

Several posts I've read on this forum mentioned that guys were struggling to get tighter and tighter belts on their Eatons to combat belt slip. Unfortunately, that technique is a band-aid only and you might have seen the worst case of doing that.

I'm not trying to flame you in any way, just hoping you can save others from making a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread