Eaton Swap SVT Cobra

IH8TOADS

Established Member
So I have a factory 99-01 SCT Cobra (Aussie Import) with an Eaton swap. Was running terrible but had a stock 80mm MAF, EV1 29 Lb injectors (yep!), stock fuel pump, 0.05"plug gaps, bizarre vacuum/boost line routing etc. So I went and fitted 39lb blues, 90mm factory MAF, JLT intake, Walbro drop in fuel module (TU229HP-2 fitted, but really I needed the TU228HP-2 so I just swapped pugs), moved the IAT sensor to the blower, removed the EGR (was blocked at the blower anyway) and boost solenoid and re did the vacuum / fuel rail sensor plumping.

So starting with a CVAE7BZ strategy, I based the tune heavily on a stock 2004 Cobra as a start, however it looks like I'm pretty limited with HP tuners and although I have Advantage III, I don't have access to the older US mustang Strategies (I have the Aussie version).

I need to establish if I'm dealing with a mechanical or tune related issue. Currently the car is not meeting the desired idle rpm (I haven't even driven it out of the workshop). The ISC duty cycle hovers around 33-35% and doesn't increase on start-up. If I raise idle rpm to say 800rpm (see test log), the idle doesn't move. If I remove the ISC plug...nothing happens. If I add idle air via the idle airflow tables, nothing happens. The ISC is getting 14v and returning 10v.

The other thing is that spark advance sits in the negative and generally wont increase above 0 degrees with rpm (no wheel speed though). This is the part that's got me a bit stumped especially as the spark source shows base / MBT. The delta pressure also seems higher than commanded and the Fuel Pump Actual DC in the HP log shows 0%.

The attached idle logs aren't great. HPT drops out and I couldn't get Livelink to work with my old xcal2 (maybe because its an aussie model). I'll try with my xcal4 next (aussie model also). FORscan seems to work ok but is limited.

I'm not getting any DTCs. In closed loop the wideband is toggling about Lambda 1.0 on both banks. It stalls after a start without the use of the throttle to get it to settle and then idle ok ( I performed a base idle reset without improvement). I do have Denso IT24's gapped around 0.032 (so maybe a bit cold for a stock Eaton on pump unleaded (93 equivalent).

I might have to move to a Tuner Pro RT to access more parameters and improved datalogging, but if anyone notices anything obvious in the limited logs (attached) or in the brief description above, please shout out!

Attachments

• Idle log.csv
    322.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Start-up log.csv
    105.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 800rpm_Commanded_Idle_Test.csv
    318.8 KB · Views: 132

IH8TOADS

Established Member
I’ll move away from HP for tuning this thing, but what bothers me is that when the idle adapt is working range and ‘adapting’, ie adding or removing idle air, the IAC doesn’t change from essentially an open loop state. the IAC will simply run off the base IAC duty cycle table. So I just need to be convinced it’s a tune or software issue. In this CVAE7BZ strategy the idle dead and and rpm to control idle are both 100rpm stock (rpm enable / disable dead and). In the 2003 they are something like 192rpm and 250rpm in HP, seem like strange values to use for these so I’m wondering if it’s even mapped correctly.

Logging with Livelink and an X4 are working. HP is useless.

IH8TOADS

Established Member
Had my Advantage III updated so I could tune with SCT. Fixed a small vac leak and reset TPS to 0.97 volts and between all that, the car has started to behave.

Users who are viewing this thread