Eaton truetrac issues.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I recently rebuilt my entire irs with the ftbr kit along with a new eaton truetrac diff , ford racing gears and ford racing diff cover. I had a reputable shop install the gears and differential Into the carrier then put it in the car myself
At first it was great with no noises except for a little gear whine on decel. Recently the diff started to howl at highway speeds and then got progressively worse. As long as my foot was on the peddle it was howling
(To the point I felt like driving into oncoming traffic ) ... As soon as I let off the peddle it would go away.
At slower speed you can hear gear whine and some weird noises coming from the differential.
With a little help I got the diff pulled out of the car this evening . As Soon as we took it out the axle spacer fell out of the diff onto the floor ?
I read that this spacer is not supposed to be used on a Irs setup ?
I'm taking it back to the shop that assembled it for me so they can open it up to have a look to see what's going on with it .
I'm just wondering if this spacer floating around in there might have caused some issues ?
What could be causing the howl?
I know improper install and backlash could be an issue but the shop feels confident that it was setup properly.
Just looking for some ammo to throw at them as I don't know a whole lot about this subject.
Any input is appreciated.

XCSEDAN

Established Member
find someone else who does reputable work and have them rebuild it.

diff whine can be caused by a mountain of things, pinion bearing not torqued correctly, diff not centered properly, gears not aligned, wrong size carrier bearings, etc etc etc

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
find someone else who does reputable work and have them rebuild it.

diff whine can be caused by a mountain of things, pinion bearing not torqued correctly, diff not centered properly, gears not aligned, wrong size carrier bearings, etc etc etc

I wouldn't say it needs to be rebuilt . Everything in there is new with about 2000 miles on it.
I took it back to the same shop and they are going to have a look at it and make any necessary adjustments.
I paid them to do the job so i don't really want to take it elsewhere and have to pay again to have it looked at.
I've had a few different friends that had diffs setup by the same guy with no complaints.
I'm hoping he was just having an off day when he did mine and will get it right the second time.

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
I did the same thing, had a shop do it and I put it in
I got about 79 miles on it so far . Only problems I sense to have is a loose irs bolt lol . Gonna check that out in the morning

Users who are viewing this thread