Ecoboost engine variations?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'm excited to hear about the Ecoboost line of engines and the vehicles they will find themselves into. We've seen them in the Lincoln MKS, Ford Flex, Taurus, etc. There'll also be an SHO Taurus, which I'm stoked about.

Are there different sizes and power outputs of Ecoboost engines? For example, what is the difference between the Ecoboost version in the MKS or Flex vs the one that will be in the SHO Taurus? Do they make the same power or is the SHO version different? If so, will it be a larger engine? Larger turbos? Or just minor intake and tuning changes?

Does anyone thing there'll be a variant that shows up in the V6 mustangs?

The "Ecoboost" connotation, from my understanding, is basically the use of turbocharging and direct injection to achieve greater efficiency and power output. Is this specific to simply the 3.5 V6, or do you think we might see variants of the Ecoboost system showing up on Modular V8's? I mean, it's only a matter of time before they switch to direct injection on all of their gas engines. I know I'm dreaming at this point, but it would be neat to see an Ecoboost option on the V8 mustang. A Twin-Turbo 5.4 direct injection Ecoboost Cobra? That'd be cool!

It'll be exciting to see how the aftermarket reacts. Will we see upgraded turbo kits? etc.

Homer

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yes, there will be some different engine variations of the ecoboost. Look for a 4cyl one within a few years.

And no, I don't think you'll ever see the ecoboost connotation ever used on a big, modular V-8. The two words contradict each other to the public. You could see a turbo v8 though. Any way you want to cut it, a Hipo TT V8 will never get good mileage, so why tarnish the brand name they are building.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I actually just found an interesting article about some of Ford's plans for extending this technology to the V8 counterparts. Codenamed "Bobcat", the engine consists of a DOHC 5.0 V8 utilizing turbocharging and direct injection with separate gasoline and ethanol injectors for each cylinder. The engine can run on either gasoline or ethanol entirely, but achieves maximum efficiency running primarily on gasoline while also injecting ethanol in the cylinders to reduce detonation based on operating conditions.

Neat!

Homer

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I actually just found an interesting article about some of Ford's plans for extending this technology to the V8 counterparts. Codenamed "Bobcat", the engine consists of a DOHC 5.0 V8 utilizing turbocharging and direct injection with separate gasoline and ethanol injectors for each cylinder. The engine can run on either gasoline or ethanol entirely, but achieves maximum efficiency running primarily on gasoline while also injecting ethanol in the cylinders to reduce detonation based on operating conditions.

Neat!

Homer

That's pretty cool. Same principle as the meth injection I use.

Until ethanol becomes widely available though, I doubt we'll see it in production.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Neat!

Homer

Preliminary tests are showing it making 500hp and 750tq.

That's pretty cool. Same principle as the meth injection I use.

Until ethanol becomes widely available though, I doubt we'll see it in production.

I believe it uses E-85.

I want to see some 4 cylinder variations. A 2.5 with a manual in a Ranger would be nice.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I want to see some 4 cylinder variations. A 2.5 with a manual in a Ranger would be nice.

That would be cool! I'll bet the sport compact people will be all over that!

We know that the V6 is a twin turbo setup. You think they'll keep twin turbos on the 4 cyl versions, or just go with a single turbo?

In addition to the Ranger, it would be cool to see a turbo four in a focus or other type of sport compact vehicle. New SVT Focus, perhaps?

Homer

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Good point. Right now, there's only 9 public E-85 stations here in Florida.

Now, don't forget, that article mentioned that the engine can run on entirely gasoline or entirely E-85. The reason why it has a separate fuel system for each is to allow the computer to more precisely regulate and optimize fuel delivery based on the operating conditions to maximize power and economy while reducing detonation. With the conventional flex fuel vehicles, either form of fuel is put in the same tank. The computer can't possibly optimize output when it has no control over the proportion of gasoline to E-85. Granted, most (if not all) existing flex fuel vehicles are naturally aspirated, which makes it less important for the computer to have such a high degree of control over power output, fuel delivery, timing, etc.

Homer

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That would be cool! I'll bet the sport compact people will be all over that!

We know that the V6 is a twin turbo setup. You think they'll keep twin turbos on the 4 cyl versions, or just go with a single turbo?

In addition to the Ranger, it would be cool to see a turbo four in a focus or other type of sport compact vehicle. New SVT Focus, perhaps?

Homer

My guess is that it will be a single turbo. Word is that the Focus will be getting a 1.6L EcoBoost.

We all know how easy it is to find E85;-)

Until it becomes widely available, you'll never see a car set up for a seperate ethanol injection.

I have a feeling you're going to be seeing a lot more of it.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
My guess is that it will be a single turbo. Word is that the Focus will be getting a 1.6L EcoBoost.

I have a feeling you're going to be seeing a lot more of it.

Your probably right. With the way the gov't is subsidizing ethanol, it's only a matter of time.:nonono:

I just can't see a OEM offering a car with two seperate fuel tanks, one for the gas and one for the ethanol injection.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It wasn't that long ago (1997) that Ford trucks had two fuel tanks. The 2010 calendar year diesel from Ford and GM will have a separate tank for urea (for emissions). I think for the power and mileage difference people would learn to deal with two tanks.

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
From gathering info from other sites you are looking at the:

3.5 - Taurus...F Series...Mustang...Lincoln
2.5 - Next gen Explorer...possibly the Fusion
1.8 - Small cars

All of Ford's forced induction for the v8s are still geared towards supercharging. From a business perspective I do not see the Bobcat project or a 5.0 EB coming out with the 6.2liter engine coming online in the F series and super duty.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
The Bobcat was a demonstrator engine program. I believe there were only 2 or 3 engines built and there was no ideas of going to production with it. Could there be something in the future? Maybe but it probably won't be the same thing as the Bobcat or even related. I heard that from a source I find to be pretty reliable.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
The only thing I was familar with is the vehicle they are testing that is running E85 and sometype of water ford bought the rights to it. I know my buddy drove one of the vehicle from Ohio to the UP. On gas he was traveling an average of 76 MPH in the UP speed limit 55. He only used 3 1/2 gallons of gas to give an idea it is getting like 86 or 87 miles per gallon and makes 270 horse power pretty damn impressive.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
It has a screen that tells you your miles per gallon and you can choose the type of fuel and so on it was very cool. I would buy on just because it is a nice car. A very nice family car. It is also a practical vehical if you live in a big city alot pollution and breathing in exhaust. This would be import features for those areas and the milage is important to all that want the everyday car to have great milage and the toy to break all the rules. This makes up for the toy.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I talked to a guy that went to the national sho convention this year in new hampshire was it?

He said ford techs were there giving lectures on the new sho.

He said, that they said, the sho ecoboost has stronger internal compents than say, the one in the MKS. Dont know if there is any truth to that.

He also confirmed that the transaxle set up will not handle the extra torque from modding.

Dont know how true that is.

Also, those turbos are way small, much more boost and you'll just be pushing hot air.

Well see if the engine is ever put in the mustang, i mean, only 50hp behind the v8 stock and with some bolt ons it will wax the v8.

Users who are viewing this thread