Edmunds: Smaller, lighter, includes numbers

cmsnake

Established Member
My '14 weighs right at 3500lbs. 400lbs is a lot of weight to drop, not sure if its achievable.

15 inches shorter and 6.5 inches narrower equals a much smaller car so I guess anything is possible.

Gonna be interesting if true.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
lol at a 400 pound weight reduction with an IRS. Their source is wrong.

I doubt the Mustang is going to get even more expensive either

13GT5.0

Established Member
200 pounds more like it. I don't see how it could be 400 unless they are using way more aluminum components (suspension, hood for example).

yngrshr

Established Member
I will say that if they cut out 400 pounds I'd sell my 13 in an instant for it. However, I find that to be very unrealistic while maintaining a similar price point.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The early preproduction weight for the standard C7 was said to be the same as the C6 Z06... Which was about 100-125 less than the standard C6... In reality the C7 is heavier than the base C6 by 75-100lbs..so its about 200lbs heavier then they leaked out..... Preproduction talk is just that... Talk!!!

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
That weight is within a couple hundred pounds of an FR-S/BR-Z. Maybe that's what's really hiding under all of that camo, LOL.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Everyone should take note.....

It's possible the new unibody design may inhibit more flex than previous designs. Higher power platforms may require aftermarket structural bracing like the Fox body did. Current S197 design doesn't require this, which is why it's heavier.

01GTB

Established Member
They are saying it is 10% smaller in length and width, so it must be 10% lighter. Utter nonsense. The components that add all the weight are still there. If it even comes in 150 lbs lighter I would be shocked.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
All car companies need to get weight under control with upcoming regulations. It is more than possible to drop the weight suggested, the big question is will they do what is necessary to accomplish the goal and you as the consumer buy it with the necessary compromises (size and/or cost)

RTD

Established Member
That weight is within a couple hundred pounds of an FR-S/BR-Z. Maybe that's what's really hiding under all of that camo, LOL.

Well, if you chop 15 inchess off the length and 6.5 inches off the width of the Mustang, like the article is claiming, then you do end up with a car somewhere around the size of a BRZ or 370Z. I have a really hard time believing they'd really make the new Mustang that small though.

implosive

Established Member
Wow, normal humans can barely fit in the back seat now. Can't imagine how that's going to go

Users who are viewing this thread