EGR delete Pros & Cons

SVTDice

Established Member
No, the computer realizes its not working properly and turns off the egr just like if you had turned it off in the computer, only difference is it will throw a code.

This is good to know! Thanks man! ;-)

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
in case it wasn't already clear you do have to remove the EGR valve, and block the hole. It seems that is a foregone conclusion since it is removed to clean-up the engine bay. On older applications the tube would be disconnected, and the EGR valve was just left on the back of the intake with an open pipe connection (until a more permanent solution was put in), the tune could be commanded to disable the valve which effectively closed the valve. If this was not done the valve could open and let unmetered fresh air into the motor during cruising...... Wooops!

Lastly, there were some earlier year mustangs/fords (possibly even a Cobra don't remember what year possibly 1996-1998 range), which used an air pump for emmissions instead of EGR. That would be the only form of EGR I would use, but I doubt the emmissions / gas mileage are worth the expense/time/complexity of implementation.

Some owners on here barely put 5k miles a year on their beasts!

Last edited:

101blur

Established Member
Question has anyone left the actual EGR on back of the supercharger and plugged the hole as to look if there was one still on the car. not to cause any drama just asking.

my98stang46

Established Member
You can do it as long as it gets sealed up. A leak would be unmetered air. But in the end you can make a block off plate because that valve is ugly as sin

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Here's the EGR kit for those that want to see. It's just a plate of aluminum, a gasket, the nut for the exhaust header and two bolts.

IMAG0999_resized.jpg

I've made my own in the past and while that metal plate is easy to make that large nut has an odd thread on it I couldn't find anywhere. I ended up taking a stock nut with the hole on top and welding a little disk over it so it would seal. PITA. So while $30 is pretty high for the items you get it's worth the time savings if you have better things to do.

9CobraVert8

Established Member
There's one on each of mine, I have a '98 cobra...both tubes connected in the front of the motor and one went down the drivers side towards the back into the egr valve on the intake

9CobraVert8

Established Member
^ I believe 96-98 have an egr tube on each header. 03-04 only has it on the D/S header.

That sounds about right...on the front of the motor there's a couple hoses coming off what looks Luke a second valve, that go into the pass. side fender. Would I be able to remove all that in the fender when I do the delete too?

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
My ported eaton car had 12 degree lower IAT2 temps without EGR. It also took a shorter period of time for the IAT2 temp to drop back down to normal after a long WOT pull.

anyone else have any data for IAT2 temps before & after EGR delete?:shrug:

my98stang46

Established Member
I don't think it matters. EGR is just for emissions and not vital to any aspect of the engine running correctly

101blur

Established Member
You can do it as long as it gets sealed up. A leak would be unmetered air. But in the end you can make a block off plate because that valve is ugly as sin

I agree with it looking bonky. I just wanted it there so if the hood came up for some reason it would still appear at quick glance to still be running a EGR..

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I agree with it looking bonky. I just wanted it there so if the hood came up for some reason it would still appear at quick glance to still be running a EGR..

You don't have to remove anything at all to get rid of EGR. Mechanically under the hood can be left 100% alone. Just disable it in the tune and it's like it's not there. The reason for the EGR delete kits is for cosmetics under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread