Electrical problem, battery keeps getting low

Bigggy

Established Member
Hey guys, I usually don't post in this section but my GF is currently having some problem with her 2003 Mach1. Since a couple of weeks the battery keeps discharging. At the beginning we thought that it's simply because she don't drive it very often, but after 3-4 times I started to wonder if it would be something else.

So yesterday I put the charger on the battery for a while to get it to normal working voltage. I pulled the positive lead and wired my multimeter in serie to see what's going on when we let the car sit. With only the hood open the meter was reading 0.228 A. If we lock the doors with the remote et will go the 1.2 A for about 30sec then go back to 0.228 A. Looked at everything and it seems there nothing ON.

We then started to pull the fuses and it ended up being #6 (Dash and Powertrain module) drawing 0.141 A and #9 (Aux power outlet) drawing 0.087 A. There is nothing connected to the Aux power oulet... and what could draw that much current on the powertrain module? Wired seems stock other than the Stereo Aux input I've removed from my terminator and installed on the Mach stereo.

The only thing that we did a while ago was to remove the air intake to clean it and remove the hood blanket with the ground wire attached to it.

I'm an electro-technician so I'm used to electrical troubleshooting but I'm asking here if anyone had the same problem before.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you may need to try that test again, I believe it takes a certain amount of time before the pcm goes to "sleep" or whatever you wanna call it and I do believe things like opening the door and messing with the lock buttons can wake it back up again. Id try leaving the hood up, shut the doors and leave the car off for like 30 minutes then test it again.

Bigggy

Established Member
you may need to try that test again, I believe it takes a certain amount of time before the pcm goes to "sleep" or whatever you wanna call it and I do believe things like opening the door and messing with the lock buttons can wake it back up again. Id try leaving the hood up, shut the doors and leave the car off for like 30 minutes then test it again.

Thats something that we can do, thanks for the advice!

As for the Aux outlet it's not normal IMO, I will start to disconnect the outlets etc to see what it does.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread