Electrical question

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
My Mig welder which runs of 110V took a crap . I borrowed my buddies HOBART mig welder which runs off 220V .

Can I plug this into my dryer outlet?

These are the specs per the manual :

60Hz single Phase

Input Voltage : 200
input Ampres : 29

Max standard fuse rating in Ampres : 35

These are the breakers for the dryer , looks like 2 20 amp...will this be ok?

IMAG0300.jpg

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Just because they are both 220v doesn't mean the plug will fit. Might want to check that first. If it does...worst you're gonna do is pop a breaker/fuse if you draw too much current.

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
Just because they are both 220v doesn't mean the plug will fit. Might want to check that first. If it does...worst you're gonna do is pop a breaker/fuse if you draw too much current.

Right you are...the plug is different . But nothing a trip to home depot wont fix .

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Should be good to go. Seen this done numerous times. Just make sure you wire it up correctly with the new plug.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Ok wait a minute....are the 2-20's in thei middle tied together and the 2-30's on the outside tied together??? I see where it says Water Heater and then Dryer. I am more confused about why the hell the breakers were wired that way....oh well.

I personally would do what FL-ORANGE said. A #8 AWG will handle the 35A breaker. When working with electrical DO NOT SHORT CUT ANYTHING...the end results will not be pretty. I have been doing electrical engineering for 8 years now and have seen some nasty stuff happen from when people tried taking the easy way out.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Ok wait a minute....are the 2-20's in thei middle tied together and the 2-30's on the outside tied together??? I see where it says Water Heater and then Dryer. I am more confused about why the hell the breakers were wired that way....oh well.

I personally would do what FL-ORANGE said. A #8 AWG will handle the 35A breaker. When working with electrical DO NOT SHORT CUT ANYTHING...the end results will not be pretty. I have been doing electrical engineering for 8 years now and have seen some nasty stuff happen from when people tried taking the easy way out.

Yeah I thought that was odd too but just took it at face value.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Not sure why your dryer is on a 20 amp service? Most dryers require a 30 amp service, I'm surprised your dryer hasn't tripped the 20 amp breaker already. My advise is you better get a trained st of eyes on your situation, you don't want to risk setting fire to your house.

ff500

Established Member
Panel could be labeled wrong, dryer should have a 30amp circuit, electric hot water is usually a 30amp circuit as well. Turn the dryer on and shut off the 30amp breakers and see if it shuts down. If the strap that is across the 30's prevents you from shutting it off or the breaker from tripping on overload that could be dangerous, especially if you use a welder that could draw more than 30 amps. I'd check that out before I did anything else, make sure you can freely shut those breakers off, because it looks like some kind of a breaker lock to me.

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
ok....30 amps are for the dryer 20 are for the Water heater . I remember now when the plumber came to replace our water heater he said he had to use less powerful elements for that reason .

Now...do you thing the 30amps will be ok? Since the welder requires 29 input amps?

This is what I have to plug in the welder to the outlet in my garage .

plug.jpg

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
You need a 35amp 2 pole breaker. Any less you may throw the nreaker. If the breaker doesn't trip you may melt the wires...or start a fire.

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
29A at peak power . I'm welding 1/8" weld steel to reinforce the frame of the golf cart I'm building . I've been welding all morning on a lower setting (which is all thats required) with no issues .

Thanks to all who responded!!

ff500

Established Member
29A at peak power . I'm welding 1/8" weld steel to reinforce the frame of the golf cart I'm building . I've been welding all morning on a lower setting (which is all thats required) with no issues .

Thanks to all who responded!!

Did you check to see if you can shut that breaker off ?? It looks like that breaker handle strap can prevent the breaker from tripping or shutting off.

Users who are viewing this thread