Emblem removal

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
I'm thinking about debadging my truck, but I don't have a heat gun. Could I take a piece of say fishing string and get behind the emblem to remove it that way? Also what do you recommend to get all the tape off the paint without damaging it? I don't want to break the emblem in case I decide to put it back on later down the road.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Use a hair dryer and heavy weight fishing line. For bigger stuff, I prefer a plastic spatula to fishing line. Then use some adhesive remover to get the tape off

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
What if I didn't have a hair dryer lol. Could I just use the fishing line and apply adhesive remover? Not that it might matter but truck basically has sat outside it's entire life. It's a 2013.

oldmodman

Established Member
You will want heat.

Heat makes it MUCH easier.

No hair dryer? How about plenty of hot water. Pour hot water over the emblem while sawing back and forth with the fishing line. Might take two people. With hot water you know that the highest temp you will expose the pain to is 212 degrees.

Nick01cobra

Established Member
If you have a cordless drill, go to your local paint supply store and pick up an adhesive eraser. I work at my local paint supply store and I used one. It works great and doesn't harm the paint. That's just my advice.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I use mineral spirits to remove adhesive, tar, or other "substances" which get stuck to the cars finish. It's inexpensive and it won't hurt the paint or clear coat.

U.M.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Knock the emblems off with fishing line, swing by any body shop, ask them to hit the double sided tape with an eraser wheel.

If the car has been painted previously, be weary of an eraser wheel. Also, fishing line will cut straight through alignment pins on emblems.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
So I will use heat but what can I use to make sure I don't cut through the alignment pins?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Just take your time w/the line and you'll feel some resistance if you run into a pin.

It's not rocket science, you're thinking too hard.

You also need to consider that if the emblem has a pin, you sure you want to remove it? Gonna have a hole staring right back at you.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
I know for a fact there is no pin holding it on, many guys have done it. Yeah I probably am. Thanks for the tips guys!

Users who are viewing this thread