Emission Legal Blower Packages

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Moving to CA. Would like to know what CARB legal packages/set ups, are available for a 2010. Has to be by the book.

I know FRP offered a 50 State package through Whipple, is it still available? What about KB's offerings? What about high flow cats, and muffler choices?

I never went full length header, on my car, because I know that's not legal. Right now, I'm ORH, pulley and tune. Legally, that's allowed where I currently live.

Any advice/tips, appreciated

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You can look @ ( M-6066-MSVT29C ) & ( M-6066-MSVT29D )
I had the 29D on my 2011, comes with a sticker from Whipple stating it's 50 state legal & meets CARB requirements................good luck.
I had Kooks high flow cats & LT's on the 11, they threw codes, had to go with Kooks " green " cats to get through N.J. inspection, which it did.
" green " cats on my 14 also passed N.J. inspection.
Your ORH may or may not pass a visual inspection, & to run these your 02's are turned off so you don't throw codes.
.....................Not wreck your day, this is another thing Ca. checks for.
Depending on how your car was tuned, it may or may not be an issue..
picture

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
both Whipple and KB had 50 state legal packages. Not sure if KB is still offering theres thoe.

I dont currently know of any 50 state legal high flow cats. You are currently stuck with stock mid pipe for visual. Mufflers are legal to change aslong as they meet ca DB level.

Smaller pulleys are a Fail in Ca if you have to go to a Ref along with a tune that's not 50 state legal.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sounds like such a nitemare to own a modified car in Cali. I guess CT aint much better with their emissions restrictions I guess. Cant wait to get the **** out of CT!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Component wise, this may be the closest you can get to Whipple's previously certified 2.9 Gen 2 kit:

07-2014 Shelby GT500 Gen 4 W175AX (2.9L) SC Kit / 17psi / Black **Includes Twin 68mm TB, Fuel Pump Booster, 123mm CAI, & Calibration**

I am not sure if Whipple followed through with certification of the 2.9 Gen 3 & 4 version, since they produce more boost with the same pulley, and I believe 16#s was the max limit. I believe the latest CARB EO# is D-231-49. I would give Whipple a call to get the straight scoop since they are based in CA.

SCALILOU

Established Member
I live in California where we not only have to battle emissions, but horrible gas as well. If you're savy, one can outwit the system. I had a posi ported M122, with a 2.4 "stock look" pulley, 2013 injectors, 120mm PMAS intake, CJ 65mm TB and a Lund tune. Car was close to 600 at the wheels with Torco. When it comes time to pass emissions, I simply put the stock TB, intake and stock tune back in the car which only takes about 10 minutes and the engine looks completely stock.

I test it with a $10 readiness codes tester I bought on Amazon. When all codes say they're ready, I drive to smog shop, pass, come home and spend another 10 minutes throwing everything back on. I do it every 2 years.

Smog legal kits are available, but remember, in California you have to have the entire kit including their tune to pass, not just a Ford racing blower you bought off someone.

That can get pricey. I don't believe the Kenne Bell kits are offered anymore, you would have to call them and find out.

Now I have a VMP Gen 1 2.3 TVS with a ported VMP elbow which I stripped, and painted it to look like a stock M122 with a stock looking 2.42 pulley (im currently looking for a stock look 2.6 or 2.7 pulley for it) making 650 to the wheels. THAT'S 727 HP TO THE CRANK.

When it comes time for emissions again, I just repeat the above steps I did with the M122 I had.

My engine doesn't have Ford Racing badges or anything that would make the guy think there's something modified going on. Unless he's a real "detective" he's not going to be searching for stuff, just don't throw a Shiney CJ TB, bolt on pulley pulley or 5.8 logo in his face and you'll be fine lol.

As long as the motor appears stock, the tech will just tap into the OBD port and wait for the codes to say they're ready then you're done.

If money isnt holding you back, get the highest HP smog legal Ford racing or Whipple kit and be done with it. I think I've seen 750+ HP kit somewhere, but it was close to the $8000 range, but it comes with literally everything you would need.

Good luck!
Sounds like such a nitemare to own a modified car in Cali. I guess CT aint much better with their emissions restrictions I guess. Cant wait to get the **** out of CT!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Component wise, this may be the closest you can get to Whipple's previously certified 2.9 Gen 2 kit:

07-2014 Shelby GT500 Gen 4 W175AX (2.9L) SC Kit / 17psi / Black **Includes Twin 68mm TB, Fuel Pump Booster, 123mm CAI, & Calibration**

I am not sure if Whipple followed through with certification of the 2.9 Gen 3 & 4 version, since they produce more boost with the same pulley, and I believe 16#s was the max limit. I believe the latest CARB EO# is D-231-49. I would give Whipple a call to get the straight scoop since they are based in CA.

The gen 3 was in the lastest smog legal kit, not sure about the gen 4. Also 17psi is legal with the 3.0 pulley being the smallest legal pulley.

nxhappy

Established Member
all you need to know: anything you buy and install MUST be "CARB" certified ....PS dont move to Kali, your life will be hell (unless you already live in NY hahahaha)

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Thanks for the replies !

I haven't heavily modded the car, as I knew I would be moving there eventually. I would put the stock cats back on, and not run the ORH there. Seems way to punitive, if you get caught. In normal spirited driving, I don't see the cats being a problem. It would just silence my great exhaust note though, so that's why I would want to change out the mufflers. I don't anticipate tracking the car, but if I did, I would definitely put the ORH back on.

It was mentioned above, I also have the "stock look" pulley. Nothing under the hood looks remotely modified. Would they measure the pulley? It's the one VMP sells.

Money isn't really the issue with buying a street legal kit. I am keeping this car forever, so I look at the purchase as a long term investment, in my happiness ! To have a legit, legal 700hp car would be nice. No games or gaming the system. I will see what Whipple says.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies !

I haven't heavily modded the car, as I knew I would be moving there eventually. I would put the stock cats back on, and not run the ORH there. Seems way to punitive, if you get caught. In normal spirited driving, I don't see the cats being a problem. It would just silence my great exhaust note though, so that's why I would want to change out the mufflers. I don't anticipate tracking the car, but if I did, I would definitely put the ORH back on.

It was mentioned above, I also have the "stock look" pulley. Nothing under the hood looks remotely modified. Would they measure the pulley? It's the one VMP sells.

Money isn't really the issue with buying a street legal kit. I am keeping this car forever, so I look at the purchase as a long term investment, in my happiness ! To have a legit, legal 700hp car would be nice. No games or gaming the system. I will see what Whipple says.

Honestly for your goals and to stay CA legal definitely go with the complete Ca legal whipple kit. I wanna say 2010-2012 got the 750hp kit to the motor with the 3.0 pulley. Thats to the motor and not the wheels. Someone dyno they're kit with the gen 3 and it made 675hp to the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread