Enclosed Trailer

manny231988

Established Member
Hey Fellas recently bought an enclosed car trailer 8.5x24 feet my question was for those that have an enclosed trailer do y’all have a winch In There and if y’all do any ideas on how to mount it, my trailer is kinda cheap no interior just all wood board but I was wanting to get an idea? I was thinking getting some plate welding it under the board to the frame and then just marking the wood and drilling the holes and mounting the winch on top of the wood. Any ideas let me know .

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Whenever I tow mine, I attach the front straps to the front control arms and the rear straps to the top of frame kinda by the panhard bar.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I have a 24' enclosed, but have a winch box in the floor.

If I had to figure out how to mount without the box, I would go to the front wall of the trailer. You are on the right track with some sort of a plate on the bottom side of the trailer with the wood deck sandwiched between the plate and winch. Hopefully you can tie the plate into some of the frame as well for more strength.

I have a 30' corded remote that I consider priceless. So, I can operate the winch when standing at the ramp and steer the car by reaching in the window all the way in. I bought it from Summit years ago.

You also need to figure out where you are going to mount a marine battery as well for the winch. Probably very close to the winch to minimize cable length. You also need to wire it into the charge circuit for your trailer plug. I also put mine on a battery tender when not in use.

BTW, hope you have 6 lug axles. If you have 5 you are probably close to maxed out with trailer and a 3800# car. If you plan on traveling much throw the 15" rims away and buy some 16" rims and use LT tires instead of trailer tires.

Get quality straps and tie downs.

Buy a Trailer-Aid ramp to help change a flat on the road. Search and you will find images. Best tool ever made!

Tom

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Have a winch in both trailers. If I have extra eyes, will usually just drive the cars in (assuming you can climb out the window). I didnt install them so cant help there, but a plate to span 2 "joists" would be the right idea. I would suggest adding a snatch block. The normal winch speed can feel too fast (have 2 cars, where car wheel to trailer wheel well is under 2"). The snatch block cuts speed in half.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Mine is built in under the floor similar to this:

Recessed%20Winch%20Compartment.jpg

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Steel plating would work. I almost did the same. I used doubled angle iron to brace my winch on 2 different trailers. Sold both trailers years back .... but the bolts went thru the angle iron ( Thick Fender Washers), then thru the 2x4 steel trailer chassis floor supports + 3/4" flooring + a larger 2nd platform of 3/4 ply under the winch. Once complete you could have the angle iron welded but mine pulled light Cobra kit cars, Corvettes, a Shelby, Chevy Blazer & a small Chevy truck without flinching. Just be sure each of your angle irons( or steel plate) cross both A-Frame 2x4 Steel Chassis Beams underneath. My winches were rated 6000-7000# (Craftsman/Harbor Freight) both with the most necessary 30' Extended Remote Controller.

Having the bare wood walls is not so bad. One advantage is you have direct access to all running lights. You can hook up additional Amber Running Lights along each side same height & same sizes as the factory runners. An extra Red Turn Signal on each side near front of the trailer helps a car next to the trailer the Turn Signals. People don't look !

On the back door 2 larger round Red Brake Lights higher up on the rear door ( again just hooked in series) made sure even cars up close can see me hit the brakes. * Be sure NOT to go so high as to interfere when you lower the door to ramp. Maybe 2 feet from the top?

For safety checks at night I had inside wall switched White Outside 12V Lights. With exposed walls you can throw a couple of 12V receptacles inside the trailer accessories like air compressors. On ceiling rafters 2 extra 12V White Lights are easy series hook ups to factory ceiling lights . All these different colored lights identical to what the trailer manufacturer installed are available at Walmart. Just stay with proper gauge wire. You can pigtail connectors inside the trailer for replacement if needed. I never blew a fuse with these little mods and if a light happened to blow I just swapped in a new one but they lasted years.

manny231988

Established Member
I have a 24' enclosed, but have a winch box in the floor.

If I had to figure out how to mount without the box, I would go to the front wall of the trailer. You are on the right track with some sort of a plate on the bottom side of the trailer with the wood deck sandwiched between the plate and winch. Hopefully you can tie the plate into some of the frame as well for more strength.

I have a 30' corded remote that I consider priceless. So, I can operate the winch when standing at the ramp and steer the car by reaching in the window all the way in. I bought it from Summit years ago.

You also need to figure out where you are going to mount a marine battery as well for the winch. Probably very close to the winch to minimize cable length. You also need to wire it into the charge circuit for your trailer plug. I also put mine on a battery tender when not in use.

BTW, hope you have 6 lug axles. If you have 5 you are probably close to maxed out with trailer and a 3800# car. If you plan on traveling much throw the 15" rims away and buy some 16" rims and use LT tires instead of trailer tires.

Get quality straps and tie downs.

Buy a Trailer-Aid ramp to help change a flat on the road. Search and you will find images. Best tool ever made!

Tom
Thanks a lot for the reply ya we are gonna weld it to the frame and gusset it to make it even stronger to the actual frame, battery will be mount right by the battery you named just about all the ideas we were thinking, I’m good on the bigger axles, I’ll look into the trailer aid ramp thanks a lot

manny231988

Established Member
Finally mounted it

Attachments

• FFD16E81-852C-4617-ACC4-3BD813784A9C.jpeg
    FFD16E81-852C-4617-ACC4-3BD813784A9C.jpeg
    534.6 KB · Views: 115
  • B9A32EC6-2E32-4C4E-AA15-495D4E781656.jpeg
    B9A32EC6-2E32-4C4E-AA15-495D4E781656.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 107

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Nice!

Take the time to paint those walls. You will be amazed how much brighter the trailer will be. I rolled the walls with white and put gray on the floor. Do it now before you start putting crap on the walls and inside. Otherwise, you will never get to it.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread