Ended my Subscription to Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Like a lot of you....i got MM&FF magazine when 5.0 went out of print. I guess some people got Hot Rod?

Anyways....got my second magazine today and called to cancel my subscription. This is not because I think MM&FF is terrible. I have read it before but didn't have a subscription.

I complained about this before but I am tired of Source Interlink media cancelling these magazines. This is the 3rd one they have killed on me since 2006.

5.0 magazine may linger on in digital form? not entirely sure.

Anticipating Editor Steve Turner developing his own 5.0 magazine someday? I know there are way more problems in the world to get upset about but tired of them cancelling magazines.

Maybe I am old, but I do like a print form of a magazine? Digital is fine but I like paper better....

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I agree with you about liking the print form better. Unfortunately, we are the vast minority. Print media is dead.

Personally I was sorry to see Popular Hotrodding go. It was my favorite car magazine outside of Grassroots Motorsports.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
There is still a print market, but it gets smaller every year. People that are growing up with smart phones don't buy newspapers or magazines. Trouble is, people who use smart phones want information in a snippet, small screens and in dept just don't go together.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Being 22, I generally like everything I want being available to me on my smartphone. But you'll never see me read a book or magazine on my phone. Give me a physical copy over that online junk any day! And I'm 22 FWIW.

Last edited:

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
I used to love getting my monthly 5.0 mag in the mail. Times are a changing I guess. I'm starting to embrace more of the digital versions since I got my tablet....but it'll never replace the 'feel' of a magazine.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have been reading almost every car magazine.

Some for 40 years. Some to see the new cars and motorcycles. Some about aviation and so on.

But I have never seen a magazine go downhill as fast as MM&FF. It is half as many pages as five years ago. Very few technical stories. Now all they are doing is showing you some Mustang that had a bunch of money spent on airbrushing under the hood.

What I want are test of thing that we actually care about. How about putting an 03 Cobra motor on a dyno and test the major head porting services against a stock head?

Or a test of a few different size turbo housings? Or maybe a test of a few different cams? I remember just a couple of years ago Hot Rod took a stout shortblock and tested seven different heads. Not that is information you can use.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a test of different rods? Tested to destruction? Put them in a twin turbo motor and keep dynoing it with higher and higher boost levels until the engine eats itself.

I'm tired of seeing a car beauty contest or race results three months late.

Sixshootapb

Established Member
Agreed, I can flip through these mags in less than 5 minutes and throw them in the trash. Tons of ads, weak content.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm down to one print magazine, Motor Trend. Having spent almost 20 years in the print industry, I prefer the print versions.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member

Some for 40 years. Some to see the new cars and motorcycles. Some about aviation and so on.

But I have never seen a magazine go downhill as fast as MM&FF. It is half as many pages as five years ago. Very few technical stories. Now all they are doing is showing you some Mustang that had a bunch of money spent on airbrushing under the hood.

What I want are test of thing that we actually care about. How about putting an 03 Cobra motor on a dyno and test the major head porting services against a stock head?

Or a test of a few different size turbo housings? Or maybe a test of a few different cams? I remember just a couple of years ago Hot Rod took a stout shortblock and tested seven different heads. Not that is information you can use.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a test of different rods? Tested to destruction? Put them in a twin turbo motor and keep dynoing it with higher and higher boost levels until the engine eats itself.

This. And in my opinion the ads and lack of articles as old modman described is the reason these magazines don't have any people buying them. If they had articles like modman suggested, they would be the number one magazine out there and would not get cancelled.

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I was one of the people that received Hot Rod since I already got MM&FF. I had to call and switch my subscription over and extend Car Craft. It seems like Hot Rod was full of high dollar builds that I have no interest in and Car Craft is full of actual technical articles and cars that look like the owners wrenched on themselves.

As far as real good automotive magazines, Racecar Engineering and Race Tech are some of the most informative out there.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen

Absolutely this. I still get MM&FF mags due to the crazy cheap deal that was going around SVTP a few years ago, I think I paid $16 for an additional 4 or 5 years on top of the 2 years I had left. I'll be getting these for awhile still.

rattlesnake3:16

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member
svtp should have a magazine lol
This is actually a good idea. I mean with the front page a few interesting threads in here with a lot of good information I would most definitely buy it. Hell if u Google a question about a cobra the first thing to pop up is this website

Kiohtee

Established Member
This is actually a good idea. I mean with the front page a few interesting threads in here with a lot of good information I would most definitely buy it. Hell if u Google a question about a cobra the first thing to pop up is this website

That, and there's plenty of feature-worthy rides on this site. :dancenana:

rattlesnake3:16

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member
That, and there's plenty of feature-worthy rides on this site. :dancenana:
Yep in fact most featured cars in those magazines are from here. If we started a thread asking people if they buy svtp magazine I bet the numbers would be pretty high

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I used to love print media, but as years went on the tech articles slowly were replaced with caption contests and ads. The Q&A sections are always the same....... What exhaust is good for my mustang, or "how much power will a JET chip add to my 2001 gt?" That information in there just isn't very helpful these days.

Users who are viewing this thread