Engine/camshaft gurus in here please

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Hey guys, does anyone in here know how difficult it is to remove the comp limiters from the tivct actuators? My motor was built with comp stg 1 blowers cams and the builder used the limiters. I bought the motor 2nd hand so didn't know anything about them at the time. Now after I've had the car running for awhile, I want more. I'm thinking of going with either a GT350, CJ, or possibly sniper manifold in the near future. But to take full advantage I would like to get the full 50* sweep back in the cam timing. Thoughts? Also what would I all need to do this job?

ford20

Established Member
It isn't that difficult in all honesty. I took mine apart in post #108 and all you would have to do differently is just pull the limiters out once you have it opened. If you want Ford Racing sells an entire timing kit for around 420 bucks through Tasca and comes with all new chains, Boss tensioners, phasers, etc. If you haven't done OPG's or a crank sprocket and you would want to do it, now would be the perfect time to do so. It even comes with new Oil Pump bolts since I believe I remember reading in the service manual that those were Torque to yield bolts.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...d-rebuild)&p=15011202&viewfull=1#post15011202

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
It isn't that difficult in all honesty. I took mine apart in post #108 and all you would have to do differently is just pull the limiters out once you have it opened. If you want Ford Racing sells an entire timing kit for around 420 bucks through Tasca and comes with all new chains, Boss tensioners, phasers, etc. If you haven't done OPG's or a crank sprocket and you would want to do it, now would be the perfect time to do so. It even comes with new Oil Pump bolts since I believe I remember reading in the service manual that those were Torque to yield bolts.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...d-rebuild)&p=15011202&viewfull=1#post15011202

Ok great info. I will look at that thread and check it out. My motor is a boss motor that was built about 5000 miles ago. It has billet opg's and crank sproket so I should be good to go.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The process is fairly simple, simply removes the circlip in the center and then the outer bolts, remove the front phaser plate and remove comp limiters. As the member above suggested we would do the MMR billet Oil pump gears and MMR Billet crankshaft gear while you have the cover off.

You can get those parts as a combo package here: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=269

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
The process is fairly simple, simply removes the circlip in the center and then the outer bolts, remove the front phaser plate and remove comp limiters. As the member above suggested we would do the MMR billet Oil pump gears and MMR Billet crankshaft gear while you have the cover off.

You can get those parts as a combo package here: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=269

Thanks for the info. Already running your OPG and sprocket.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Maybe I'm trying to think too far outside of the box, but I wonder if this is feasible by just taking off the cam covers?

ford20

Established Member
What Mark said. No matter what you will have to unbolt the phasers from the cams and those are TTY bolts as well. I think I have the part numbers for the bolts at home.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Ok thanks for the replies guys. Removing the phaser actuators shouldn't be a big deal should it? It looks like just 2 bolts per actuator into the timing cover. Will I need to completely unbolt the phasers from the cams or can one just disassemble the phaser while it is still fastened to the cam? Part numbers for the bolts will be much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread