Engine cooling fan recommendations

94slowbra1

Established Member
So my factory fan cracked the other day so I need a new fan. What is a good replacement or even an upgrade? I don't want to complicate things, just something that works and fits in the same location.
Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there is no stock style replacement that performs any better than OE. The doorman replacement is pretty close in CFM rating.

You have to remember when looking at CFM ratings a Ford OE fan is rated with the radiator etc. in front of it. Basically all aftermarket fans are rated with zero restrictions, it's just holding the thing out in free-air.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Is it the blades or the motor that is different? My motor is fine, the blades cracked. So I could technically buy a new complete assembly and swap the blades over

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not sure. I’d imagine it’s the motor but at the same time I’d bet a brand new doorman motor outperforms a nearly 20 years old OE

willis414

Established Member
I did exactly what your thinking with the doorman. My blade was cracked also and I swapped blades with my original one, it fit perfectly and works like the original. The doorman is now a backup if needed.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW, I have a Dorman replacement in my car and was stuck in traffic yesterday in mid 90 degree heat. With the A/C on engine temp topped out at 216. I did have to put some foam between the fan and the radiator to seal it better.

I know the Mark VIII fan is the big upgrade, but I've wondered if any of the S197 fans would fit and be an upgrade?

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
There's a lot of OEM upgrades you can do though. MKVIII, Taurus, and Contour are all popular options, cheap, and available. I went with the "Ramcharger" Intrepid dual fans, but that was more for clearance. It doesn't perform as well as some of the others.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Dorman part number 620-138? Can anyone confirm this? This is what I find online but sys it's for v6 models.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
even Doorman's site brings up that part number. Summit Racing shows 620-139. If you put that number directly into Doorman it does come up as the 4.6 fan w/ resistor

cj428mach

Established Member
Gt fan is the same so you could swap it in or just the blade. I bought a new motorcraft off rockauto years ago when my blade cracked. It was 100% identical to the original if you're a purist.

robvas

Established Member
Put a 620-130 in mine. Rarely goes over 210 or so even in the heat we've had lately. Using a parts store radiator too.

Had the Mark VII but the connector was all burnt up so I ordered a new three wire connector with pigtail as well.

GodStang

Established Member
FWIW, I have a Dorman replacement in my car and was stuck in traffic yesterday in mid 90 degree heat. With the A/C on engine temp topped out at 216. I did have to put some foam between the fan and the radiator to seal it better.

I know the Mark VIII fan is the big upgrade, but I've wondered if any of the S197 fans would fit and be an upgrade?

S197 and Borla ATAKS add 100hp everyone knows this.

I tried to put a Mark VIII in mine but my aftermarket radiator is too big and it would not fit. I am about to do the Cobra Engineering Crossover delete and will attempt to install the Mark VIII again with the freed up room.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

I tried to put a Mark VIII in mine but my aftermarket radiator is too big and it would not fit. I am about to do the Cobra Engineering Crossover delete and will attempt to install the Mark VIII again with the freed up room.
I had to trim down the thickness of the shroud to clear with my procharger kit

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I guess I only get 75hp because I have Stingers.

I'm wondering if the S197 GT500 fan would work better because it has a full shroud. And the later ones have flaps to let air flow at speed.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I have spent the past several months working on a blower swap. In the process I installed the fan from a 97 Mark VIII. I had to mock up my own harness. And it doesn't fit perfect. You have to grind off some of the mounting tabs. And find creative means to secure it (although its in there tight so it isn't going anywhere). I haven't started the car yet so I can't speak for how well it works. But it blows TWICE as much air as the OEM Cobra fan. I figured for the little I paid for it at the junkyard it was worth trying to see how it does.

shurur

Established Member
Sorry..I don't buy the MK 8 spiel that it is an upgrade over the oem fan.
The oem fan is used by road racers and moves plenty of air..hell probably more air than the MK 8 fan.

Just get an OEM fan and seal the housing edges with gasketing.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry..I don't buy the MK 8 spiel that it is an upgrade over the oem fan.
The oem fan is used by road racers and moves plenty of air..hell probably more air than the MK 8 fan.

Just get an OEM fan and seal the housing edges with gasketing.

The. Umbers I always saw were around 2300 CDL from the stock piece and 3-4K cam on the mark 8 depending on the year.

Newer f150 fans will do. Roth of 6k but don’t fit, just for reference

shurur

Established Member
The. Umbers I always saw were around 2300 CDL from the stock piece and 3-4K cam on the mark 8 depending on the year.

Newer f150 fans will do. Roth of 6k but don’t fit, just for reference
I have also heard those numbers were not apples to apples...one was measured through a radiator and one was CFMs with the fan alone.

Users who are viewing this thread