engine install - car wont start .. help!

RoadRash

Established Member
ok guys .. just installed my boss 5.0 engine and pressurized the block with oil using the bug sprayer method (awesome technique by the way). It turns over just fine and tries to fire but just wont catch and run. Yesterday, it did run for about 5 seconds and cut off but wont run at all since then.

I have checked the inertia switch in the trunk. It is fine. No theft light. I do have fuel pressure at the rail. I have deleted the egr with this new install and I'm getting a p1000 code (even though I told my tuner to turn that code off for this initial tune). I'll call him in the morning and get that fixed.

What else can I check for?? I've been waiting 9 months for this and I need to get it running!! Thanks!! (see mods in sig)

RoadRash

Established Member
No one has any ideas? C'mon, give me some help here.

It has an sct ba3000 maf that is new and a jlt cai. The car will just sputter and act like it wants to fire but it won't kick in and run. I've got new plugs gapped and installed. Its probably something stupid and simple but I need some things to check.

Ironhand

Banned
Check battery is good, cops are seated all the way, harness plugged in and "snapped", alt is plugged up tight, and check ground straps.

Just a few ideas.

RoadRash

Established Member
Check battery is good, cops are seated all the way, harness plugged in and "snapped", alt is plugged up tight, and check ground straps.

Just a few ideas.

battery is good. Been charging it because I'm running it down turning the car over! new plugs installed, cops seated tight and cop covers in place. Alt is plugged in and cable is on dist block. I gotta check the ground strap. I know for a fact it is on the motor mount side but I'm not sure it is connected to chassis. Thanks for the ideas .. I'll check and report back!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Good thought. I have rerouted all of the boost hoses with the EGR delete. I think they are all good. I had some questions about some of them but think that is all sorted. I can recheck all of them.

Yeah, I remember your thread about the lines, that why I mentioned it. Check around the intake and maf also.

RoadRash

Established Member
Yeah, I remember your thread about the lines, that why I mentioned it. Check around the intake and maf also.

yeah ..lol. The JLT cai is new and the sct ba-3000 is also new/used. There is a nipple on the JLT that is open but it is before the maf (but after the air sensor). I'll plug that. I didn't route a line from the bottom of the boost dump valve. It vents to atmosphere. The JLT is tight and fits great.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Im guessing bad ground if you only have one strap going to the engine. Could also be something in the tune. not knowing for sure what you changed from on your old setup its hard for me to say for sure.

Sounds like you are getting close to a fix though.

fergy016

Established Member
You mentioned new plugs, but have you pulled one and turned the engine over to see if it is firing?

Air-check
Fuel Pressure-?
Spark-?

RoadRash

Established Member
Im guessing bad ground if you only have one strap going to the engine. Could also be something in the tune. not knowing for sure what you changed from on your old setup its hard for me to say for sure.

Sounds like you are getting close to a fix though.

Close I hope! I'm going to check the ground. I'm pretty sure its connected but I'll double check. The tune should be good. I had Dave Guy make a custom "break-in" tune for all the new parts. The main difference is the JLT cai and MAF. I had the whipple and gt pumps before.

RoadRash

Established Member
You mentioned new plugs, but have you pulled one and turned the engine over to see if it is firing?

Air-check
Fuel Pressure-?
Spark-?

You mean see if the plug is firing connected to the cop but out of the head? I have fuel at the rails and I did pull the passenger plugs and they were wet with fuel.

fergy016

Established Member
Yes, pull the plug out of the head attached to the coil and see if there is a spark. A wet plug leads me to the conclusion that may be your issue. Your not getting a spark, trace the issue that way.

benulis55

Established Member
need 3 things for ignition

fuel
spark
air

you have air and fuel...sounds like no spark

i'd check the crank sensor

RoadRash

Established Member
This!

Those plugs on the crank sensor a famous for this type of thing..

Update .. The crank position sensor is plugged in tight. the Cam position sensor is plugged in. I pulled a cop/plug, grounded it and it sparks. I pulled the fuel line off at the rail. When cranking fuel shoots out. I have Air, Fuel and spark. I unplugged the frps, same behavior.

It cranks and initially fires on key-on but then nothing (just cranking). If I key off then on, it fires. Seems like something in the ignition is keeping it from starting. What else can I check??

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
try returning the computer to stock, do not rev it if it starts, or attempt to drive it but just see if it will start and run. could be a bad tune.

ive seen this before on another vehicle

also nice build. im looking at doing a 5.0 boss block and stroke it. maybe do a twin turbo setup if not ill probably do the 3.4L whipple.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Also, if you took off your fenders double check your CCRM(Passenger fender). Also, there are several ground straps that are attached to studs on the motor mount. Make sure they are there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread