Engine Rebuild... Gaskets, Lash adjusters ect ect part numbers.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Hey guys. Rebuilding from the ground up and need some help with some part numbers. Just a

FYI, Built bottom end, slight bump in compression. e85 TVS and Cams. 700~ to the wheels

First off, full gasket kit. I need everything, I found a Felpro kit, but I'm not sure if that is the one I need. (head gaskets good enough?) Can't find an OEM part number for a full kit.

I also need new lash adjusters.. Are the trick flow set the only ones available? I can not find a OEM part number.

Cam degreeing stuff.. I bought some cams off Kurgan.. Cams springs and retainers. I plan to buy the ford racing timing kit.. Ive used Cloyes adjustables in the past, but they are no longer available.

I remember reading that the comp adjustable had issues. Suggestions?

Happster

Established Member
I made some adjustable lash adjusters with two old ones, a bolt and cap nut. Measure the height of an old adjuster and note the precise height. Pop the cap off the old lash adjuster and pull out the head, sleeve and spring. Toss everything but the body. Clean it out with carb cleaner. Find a bolt with a head that fits down into the cavity of the old adjuster. Put the bolt in upside down into the body with a cap nut finger tight on it. Measure. Cut/grind the threaded side of the bolt until the cap nut (when finger tight) creates a minimum height for the entire assembly that is just below the height of a stock adjuster (such that it can be adjusted upward above the height of a stock adjuster by backing off the cap nut). Pull the bolt out, put JB weld inside the body of the adjuster and slide the bolt back in upside down without the cap nut. Fill the rest of the body with more JB. Let dry with threaded portion of bolt centered. Clean threads of bolt so cap nut glides on and off. Put cap nut on. Put it into the head and back the cap nut off until snug into cam roller. Don't adjust too much or you'll start opening the valve. (Put air to the cylinder to be sure it is still closed as a precaution.) Now you have a $120 worth of adjustable lash adjusters for $4.40 and about an hour of labor. Do twice to save time if you have DOHC so you can do one side without moving the tool that you're built back and forth.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I made some adjustable lash adjusters with two old ones, a bolt and cap nut. Measure the height of an old adjuster and note the precise height. Pop the cap off the old lash adjuster and pull out the head, sleeve and spring. Toss everything but the body. Clean it out with carb cleaner. Find a bolt with a head that fits down into the cavity of the old adjuster. Put the bolt in upside down into the body with a cap nut finger tight on it. Measure. Cut/grind the threaded side of the bolt until the cap nut (when finger tight) creates a minimum height for the entire assembly that is just below the height of a stock adjuster (such that it can be adjusted upward above the height of a stock adjuster by backing off the cap nut). Pull the bolt out, put JB weld inside the body of the adjuster and slide the bolt back in upside down without the cap nut. Fill the rest of the body with more JB. Let dry with threaded portion of bolt centered. Clean threads of bolt so cap nut glides on and off. Put cap nut on. Put it into the head and back the cap nut off until snug into cam roller. Don't adjust too much or you'll start opening the valve. (Put air to the cylinder to be sure it is still closed as a precaution.) Now you have a $120 worth of adjustable lash adjusters for $4.40 and about an hour of labor. Do twice to save time if you have DOHC so you can do one side without moving the tool that you're built back and forth.

I highly suggest against this method.

BYEPOLR

Established Member
Nate, not pimping parts but if you need I have a full set of GT500 rockers and lash adjusters along with the comp springs and retainers. Plenty of other stuff you need too. You know where to find me lol

gt347mustang

Established Member
lol You must be selling them. They worked great! Perhaps you can explain why you feel this way?

Because factory lash adjusters are great.

Assuming the jb weld lasts more than 10k cycles, the time it takes to cut down and adjust the lash properly would take waaaaay to long.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Because factory lash adjusters are great.

Assuming the jb weld lasts more than 10k cycles, the time it takes to cut down and adjust the lash properly would take waaaaay to long.
I believe he is only referring to using the adjustable lash adjuster for initial cam phasing and degreeing when installing the cams. He is not actually leaving them in. That’s why he said make 2. So you can do both intake and exhaust cams without having to swap the adjusters back and forth to keep checking the phasing between the 2.

Ken

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Call MMR 805-383-4130. They carry almost everything in stock, and you don’t even have to reference a part number. Say I need gaskets lifters followers for an 03 cobra and they mail them to you. It’s that simple, they were great to me

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I'm good to go. I picked up those GT500 rockers and lash adjusters from musclecarresort along with some adjustable cam gears.

I have all the gaskets, Just need to get a set of heads gone through and I'll be able to button everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread