Engine Rebuild

JorgeM

Established Member
Tomorrow i am gonna pick up my baby(01 Cobra),It just got an engine rebuild,this is the first time ive gone thru this process can anyone give me advice,like when should i do the oil changes and when im able to go high rpms and what to do and what not to do thanks!:)

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
You want high RPMs right away. The more you put a load on it, the quicker and better the rings seal. Don't baby it. Drive it like normal, or even harder.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
High load and high rpms. The first 20 minutes or so of runtime are the most crucial to really load the motor up and seat the rings.

JorgeM

Established Member
thanks guys!
at how many miles should i do my oil changes?

Last edited:

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
First 500 miles do an oil change and look at it closely to make sure there isn't any metal. After that just change it every 3K like normal.

JorgeM

Established Member
lol sorry about that,edited now
so it seems like everyone says 500 miles,after 500 miles should i keep driving it with limits?

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
No, after 500 you're good to drive normal. But I also agree with the above posts to drive it hard and get heat cycles. However, to prevent it from going boom make sure to use quality 5w30 and make sure the engine is hot so everything is loose and the oil has had time to cycle through the engine and warm up to its' operating temp.

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
Amsoil 5w30 and a wix oil filter or Royal purple XJR (or something like that) and a Napa gold oil filter (same as wix). Reason for these 2 oils only is because they have high levels of zinc phosphate which protects the best. 90% of the oils out there use very little of this because the carb or ase or whomever makes the rules had companies take it out because it "polluted more" which was total bull shit. Go over to bobstheoilguy.com and you'll learn A LOT about engine oil.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
First 500 miles do an oil change and look at it closely to make sure there isn't any metal. After that just change it every 3K like normal.
I'd do the first one a little less than that,then use conventional Again for another 1000 miles then switch to synthetic:rockon:

JorgeM

Established Member
so its not a good idea to put synthetic on first 500 oil change?im think doin oil change 500,1500,3000 miles and then every 3k miles

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
First of all, the synthetic oils I recommended are the best on the market. Absolutely no other automotive engine oil surpasses them. Talk to any top engine builder and they will say the same. They will also say to run synthetic for 500 then change the oil and do so every 3k after that. Changeing your oil too often can actually CAUSE more wear on your parts due to the detergents not being given enough time to break down and for the oil to do its thing. The biggest thing people screw up on is buying inferior oil and filters. It is the life blood of that new engine. So imagine if it was your body, wouldn't you want the best in it?

I mean no offense in saying this next thing. You need to educate your self on this topic and not just take some random persons word for it. Seriously go to bobstheoilguy.com and READ. You will learn so much that your head will explode. If your like me and want to cross reference what he says to other independent studies on oils then you will find that all of his info is accurate.

As far as the 5w20 or 5w30 thing goes. Do a search and you will find that these engines like 7qts of 5w30 and the reasons why.

Just remember when you do your first oil change to check the oil to make sure there isn't any excessive metal. If you need more educated info on the subject feel free to send me a pm. I just don't want to see you on here in the next month with a rod knock.

JorgeM

Established Member
thanks man,i actually put fully advanced synthetic for my first oil change since i thought i want to put something that i want my engine to get use to for the start,and i really didn't see any metal at all

Brutal Metal

Established Member
First of all, the synthetic oils I recommended are the best on the market. Absolutely no other automotive engine oil surpasses them. Talk to any top engine builder and they will say the same. They will also say to run synthetic for 500 then change the oil and do so every 3k after that. .

You show me where these TOP engine builders say to use synthetic for initial break in? :shrug: I disagree!

Users who are viewing this thread