engine removal 03 cobra ???????

Slo_GTS

Established Member
Just undo bolts and wiring til it drops. I'm kidding but it is pretty easy to do. Just label and baggy a lot of your random stuff

vadorsnake04

Established Member
I've done it three times now. I should just make a video or write up on it for times like this. But, I don't know of a video just the ford manual itself.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
its a lot of work but its not as bad as it sounds. I bought a thing or wire marking tape (just a bunch if prenumbered tape strips from the office supply place, box of ziplock bags and a sharpie.

out the top or through the bottom you can figure out but either way

undo all the electrical connections (i kept the harness on the motor and disconnected from the chasis). just go around the engine bay top and bottom and take everything loose, label each end of the connector with matching numbers (the white tape helps make missing connections stand out too when going back together). If youre gonna be anal about how things are routed take pics before undoing them. bag and tag everything, including where the short and long bolts go if they arent the same.

When you start actually removing it continually check for the 2-3 things you likely missed.

edit: my list from a thread on modfords when I was doing it for the first time going out the bottom

1) drain cooling systems and remove hoses to engine (dont forget heater core connections)
2) unplug engine bay harness (one at pass side rear of the bay, 2 under the air filter, several by the battery including wires to fuse panel)
2.1) remove engine ground (from block to DS frame rail..forgot this the second time and snapped it)
3) unhook TB cables
3.1) unhook clutch cable (really should be after step 5)
4) unhook and label vacuum lines/cap off and label vacuum ports
bleed off fuel pressure from the rail using schrader valve, disconnect fuel feed line (BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE 2 ORINGS AT THIS CONNECTION, THEY ARE A BITCH TO FIND NEW ONES)
5) properly support the car on jack stands
6) remove drive shaft
7) remove shifter handle/shift boot trim
8) remove front wheels
9) remove brake calipers and zip tie them out of the way
10) go through the whole front spring removal process
10.5) unplug abs sensors or remove from the knuckle
11)unbolt ac compressor (going out the top just zip tie it out of the way, out the bottom supposedly it can be flipped up onto the "shelf" where the air filter sits...i just had the system evacuated and removed it)
12) unbolt power steering pump (in hindsight im not sure why..cant remember if you can get the pressure line off with it bolted up or not
13) unbolt steering shaft from rack
14) unbolt power steering rack from k member and tie out of the way
15) remove midpipe
16) unplug sensors from transmisson
17) support trans tailshaft with floor jack
18) support engine/k member with motorcycle floor jack
19) remove trans crossmember bolts
20) remove Kmember mounting bolts
21)lower engine/kmember/trans assembly

Last edited:

D-MANN

Established Member
Strange how so many have done it but no one has done a good "how to" on this yet. Someone should they would be the svtp hero of the year.

Last edited:

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
u4ypa4y9.jpg

yqe8e9u2.jpg

I helped my buddy do his 2weeks ago. And of course... Then I put a rod through the side of mine
y7y3u4u2.jpg

And had to remove all the interference and prep for the boss 5.3l !!
pe2uby2y.jpg

It took me 2 hours in my garAge. My advice is to just think of all the things that will be in the way when you drop
It. Also, get your AC fluid recovered if you can. You will most likely have to disconnect the lines at the compressor. I don't think it will clear by just unbolt ing and pushing to the side. Other than that the steering shaft and PS lines were the only minor hang up you can disconnect the lines on the steering rack and at the pump( use a 11/16 crow foot and I will come off)

Here's a video of the removal. Kinda cool.
http://s1071.beta.photobucket.com/u...E-D938F7E49E68-3521-00000225084CE9FE.mp4.html

DSG2003MACH1 covered most all of it above. Just thought I would add some pics. :)

Good luck

Last edited:

03kevo

Established Member
He doesnt need to remove the AC lines. He can leave them intact, he will just have to zip tie them on the side and out of the way. Same for power steering pump lines etc. This is if you are pulling from up top.

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
He doesnt need to remove the AC lines. He can leave them intact, he will just have to zip tie them on the side and out of the way. Same for power steering pump lines etc. This is if you are pulling from up top.

Yes if he pulls it "From the top". I would highly recommend pulling it from the bottom. I still have to remove my AC and will try to unbolt the compressor and put it on the "shelf" where the air filter was. It may work. I will post some pics later today.

Benjaio

Established Member
I find it super easy to come from the top I can have it out in about 2.5 hrs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

KlugSS

Established Member
I had the supercharger off mine and pulled it out the top in 20 mins.
I would never drop an engine out the down on a mustang. My f-body is a different story.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im not a fan of trying to flip the compressor around onto the shelf with the lines under pressure...Id have to imagine ~150psi finding a way out wouldnt be much fun

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I have done it out the top several times , and in my opinion that is by far the fastest and least amount of work .
As far as the a/c compressor and lines go,they can take quite a bit of flex without damage .

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
X2 man. I even have access to a lift. Cherry picker is way less work.

15 min to remove after removing interference from the bottom. Total less than 2.5 hours. I don't see how you can clear the headers (LT) pulling from top? also the radiator stays when pulling from bottom. don't see how you can quickly pull from the top and not mess up your radiator.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
can you remove the passenger side cylinder head , without removing the engine from the engine bay?????????????

i did both sides...i also did drivers side with longtube header still attached(bbk)

adding..was wondering why you would ask if head can be pulled without block...

space and tools was my thought...

i had that issue...dirt driveway no tools....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread