Votes: 129 22.2%
  • Had tick, fix attempted, tick back

Votes: 33 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Yes. The tick stems from damaged exhaust valve guides, so it can certainly be heard in the exhaust.

WDW MKR

Established Member
It's more common on the driver side because of #7 and #8 cylinders running hotter. However, it can and does happen on the passenger side.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Well that sucks--I hoped that with the LDC cooling mod, I was effectively safe from the tick. But there's no way to upgrade flow out of the passenger side head, so if the tick can affect both heads then I could theoretically still be susceptible.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
I've had that tick since day one. I still have the bad driver's head. I did a lot of research on the ramifications of hard running with the "tick" and was only told that there would be some power drop off way up top. I have 24000 miles now, countless time slips, and more than a handful of dyno runs. Tick has never gotton worse nor better for that matter. I did have the selling dealer properly diagnose and qualify me for repair, but I just don't trust them to fix it, so, tick it shall.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
You don't trust them to fix it? Then go to another dealer! If you can get the head or heads replaced under warranty, you'd be silly not to do it.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
TheFleshRocket said:
You don't trust them to fix it? Then go to another dealer! If you can get the head or heads replaced under warranty, you'd be silly not to do it.

i can understand what he says. when they did my drivers side head, they scratched up my valve covers when they put the engine back in. i also had an oil leak from the pan after the install. it's being taken care of now, but most(not all) dealer techs either a) dont give a rip and see warrenty work as a loss or b) find the 4v modular quite daunting to work on.

etfhb

Established Member
corpsedub said:
i can understand what he says. when they did my drivers side head, they scratched up my valve covers when they put the engine back in. i also had an oil leak from the pan after the install. it's being taken care of now, but most(not all) dealer techs either a) dont give a rip and see warrenty work as a loss or b) find the 4v modular quite daunting to work on.

I agree, tried to help my chances with bribes of doughnuts and beer. I called ahead of time and asked what beer the mechanic liked before I brought the car in for the head swap. I also brought 2 dozen doughnuts the first time in to check for the tick. I figured couldn’t hurt, little things sometimes go a long way.

:beer:

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
etfhb said:
I agree, tried to help my chances with bribes of doughnuts and beer. I called ahead of time and asked what beer the mechanic liked before I brought the car in for the head swap. I also brought 2 dozen doughnuts the first time in to check for the tick. I figured couldn’t hurt, little things sometimes go a long way.

:beer:

Hmmm...bribes. Never thought of that. Damn. I really am stupid. The reason I didn't trust the dealer is because I just don't trust they'd be as thorough as they should be with a car like this. Selling a hipo car is one thing. Repair work is another. Sorry. Call me paranoid. It probably comes from the time my Cobra was in for a leaky diff cover. On the way home from picking it up, the cruise control didn't work. Three visits later, all was fixed.
And for the warrenty, that's long gone. My three years came before my 36000 miles.:rockon:

b569rr

Established Member
mid year '03 with tick

I am typing this for my little brother. He called me up and said he heard a tick in his engine and wanted me to check it out. I wrench on big block Mopars; '69 Road Runner and 500 inch wedge in a '68 Dodge Dart.

Anyways started the engine and let it warm up. Injectors are nice and fairly quiet. Valve train also sounded good. I told him I don't hear a tick and then like the engine was listening to me I heard a sparatic tick. tick, tick tick for 10 seconds then nothing for 5 seconds then again for 10 seconds etc...

I put a stethescope on all cylinders and the noise is definitely coming from the rear left head exhaust port. :cuss: BTW the engine build date is July 3 2003

I have read this thread completely and found a TSB on tightening the cam ladders so I'll give that a shot. He's got to get me a Ford service manual so I can do this with confidence.

Here is what really pisses me off. The kid was looking for his dream car about 4 months ago and had to have this Cobra. I knew nothing about them (probalby too old) and went to look at it with him. The car was black, 10,300 miles on it and evil looking. I drove it and thought holy crap this thing moves (no mods at the time).,

He's taken it pretty easy on the car and I have since installed the 2.76 pulley w/ idlers, K and N, Bassani Exhaust and predator programmer. It hasn't been to the track and he was planning on running it this spring to see what it could do. He did order a cooling mod last week after reading about overheating issues on this board.

so here is a young kid that dumped all this money into a specialty vehicle and it has a tick? How long has Ford been building engines? and they issue a TSB and not a recall? What is that shit about? Sounds like a recall was in order and you guys didn't get one. I have bought 4 new Fords, two of which are parked in my driveway (love my 2001 powerstroke) even though I am a Mopar hobbiest and I don't think I'll be giving Ford any more of my business. Maybe the powerstroke has done well because ford didn't build it.

So he has no warranty and if he did it has mods. We can restore it to original but those Bassanni's were a pain in the a$$ and I'm not taking those off.

I'm going to tell the kid to sell the car and get something with pushrods although a buddy of mine with an SLP Camaro SS has piston slap. I don't mean to slam Ford. Hell, the Terminator is the modern Road Runner. All that performance is a very affordable package. I told the kid when he bought it that I would probably buy it off him if he ever got tired of it. How did Ford not catch this on the R and D with temp and oil monitoring on the dyno? My .02. Rant over.:bash:

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread