Ethonol in fuel????

98RICKSTANG

Banned
i whanted to know how is this going to effect a performance truck like the lightning?im in Baton Rouge La. and the octain rating should stay 93 even with the ethonol additive in it right?so, is this going to effect the lightning. are you going to have to retune your truck? what are the good and bad points about this?

203Cree

Established Member
Not enough to notice if you're talking about the E10 shit. We've had it for years up here, never noticed any change. E85, well, that's a different story for a different thread. :)

slvrlightning

Usual Suspect
Established Member
I read somewhere that it actually degrades over time. So if you don't DD the L the octane rating can drop over time. I only read this so I am not quoting this as a certain fact. Actually putting this out fishing for truth.

jimbbski

Established Member
As said in an earlier post there are no real serious issues with using E10. Ethanol has a high octane rating then gasoline but half the energy content, hense the slightly lower fuel mileage. Usually around 5% with E10, "Your mileage may vary".

NA engines have no problem with E10 but turbo or supercharged ones may see some leaning of their fule mixture at higher boost levels. Not the best thing for these engines. On the other hand ethanol in the fuel has a cooling effect as it is injected into the air, more so then pure gasoline.

Racers who use alcohol are IRL, CART, some drag classes, and sprint cars.
For NA engines compression ratios of 14-17 to one are common due to the higher octane and cooling effect of the fuel. Cooling systems on these engines can be smaller the would be expected. For turbo/supercharged engines the cooling effect allows high boost without the need of chargeair cooling. At one time CART required their race cars to get only 1.8 mpg but I think it's higher now. I think it was only to reduce the power and not for any other reason.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
My friend noticed, actually complained about, reduced gas mileage even in his Kia and that thing is made for economy. I first noticed the loss of power and mileage with it in my normal F150 with a 4.6. This is Shell V-Power. Where's the power?

RUNVS?

Established Member
My truck actually runs better on the E10 fuel. I've noticed a slight improvement in throttle response and it seems to have a little more pep in hot weather conditions.

I've not seen any significant change in A/F readings on my gauge. However, I'll need to re-evaluate this again come winter time.

The trade off has been a sizable drop in miles per gallon.... down about 1.5 MPG in the Lightning. My wife's Scion xA has gone from 39-40 MPG down to 35 MPG. :dw:

Last edited:

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
I just posted this in my "Yosemite Camping" thread.

On the way back from a weeklong camping trip in Yosemite, I stopped by my brothers place in Folsom and filled my tank. As I finished topping off the tank, I saw a small sticker advising the gas contains 10% Ethanol. I didn't think twice about it until I left and got on the freeway and heard a rumble of detonation. The detonation continued while at cruising speed, whenever I would gently give it more gas. I had to keep it at 80 (higher RPM's) to keep it from detonating.

It may not be conclusive, and it's far from empirical evidence, but in my opinion, Ethanol sucks!

Stewart

PS - Yes, I know it could have been a bad batch of gas, but it's not something I care to try again with another tank of gas with ethanol.

Slow Off

Established Member
98RICKSTANG said:
well i wounder if itll have a bigger impack on the more high modded cars and trucks.

All we have ever had in Chicagoland is the E10-93oct stuff, always 10% ethanol added.

TriPodRacing

U MAD?
Established Member
From my understanding your A/F will not change but you still might not be getting enough fuel. It take more ethonal then gasoline to get the same burn. So if we are safe at 11.9 A/F I heard we so go to about 11.5 with the E10 shit.

The following is not from my mouth

E10 Fuel: Derivability Issues
The increased vapor pressure of E10 fuel maximizes the chances of vapor lock or hot restartability problems. The problem of increased volatility of ‘splash blends’ needs to be resolved before the automobile community accept the use of E10 fuel.
E10 fuel contains 34.7% oxygen, which can cause the engine to run lean. Moreover, up to 3% enlargement of the A/F ratio via feedback from the O2 sensor under light throttle conditions can generally be compensated by the Engine Control Unit, which is equivalent to an approximately 10% E10 fuel.
The lean-out effect because of E10 fuel can result in difficulty in starting and engine hesitation after cold start.
The use of E10 fuel can also cause hesitation or flat-spots during acceleration.
E10 fuel can also lead to the reduction in the peak power of the engine because of the reduced calorific value of E10 fuel.

Last edited:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
how are 03 and 04 cobras effected by this. around here in va we have 93 with 10 ethanol per volume. should i be worried or am i good? thanks, i know this isnt the cobra forums but since we're on the subject i figured i asked.

TriPodRacing

U MAD?
Established Member
solidsnak3 said:
how are 03 and 04 cobras effected by this. around here in va we have 93 with 10 ethanol per volume. should i be worried or am i good? thanks, i know this isnt the cobra forums but since we're on the subject i figured i asked.

My fiancee's 03 Cobra is tuned rich and so far has been fine. My truck has a 11.9 A/F and I am have some issues. I get hard starts now and the truck idles worse then ever. I have been running NGK BR7EF which I know they have a ruff idle it worse now. Feel the lose of power up top.

98RICKSTANG

Banned
TriPodRacing said:
From my understanding your A/F will not change but you still might not be getting enough fuel. It take more ethonal then gasoline to get the same burn. So if we are safe at 11.9 A/F I heard we so go to about 11.5 with the E10 shit.

The following is not from my mouth

E10 Fuel: Derivability Issues
The increased vapor pressure of E10 fuel maximizes the chances of vapor lock or hot restartability problems. The problem of increased volatility of ‘splash blends’ needs to be resolved before the automobile community accept the use of E10 fuel.
E10 fuel contains 34.7% oxygen, which can cause the engine to run lean. Moreover, up to 3% enlargement of the A/F ratio via feedback from the O2 sensor under light throttle conditions can generally be compensated by the Engine Control Unit, which is equivalent to an approximately 10% E10 fuel.
The lean-out effect because of E10 fuel can result in difficulty in starting and engine hesitation after cold start.
The use of E10 fuel can also cause hesitation or flat-spots during acceleration.
E10 fuel can also lead to the reduction in the peak power of the engine because of the reduced calorific value of E10 fuel.
that deff doesnt make me feel any better LOL.no but really that sucks!is thier any additives that you can buy in bulk? to add to every tank to help?

Users who are viewing this thread