Ever try modeling clay?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Instead of buying the $15 single clay bar have you tried a $2 pack of 5 bars of modeling clay? Seen some at Walmart. Would be plenty for those really dirty jobs and wouldnt hurt so much if you had to throw some away.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Its clay! They both will slide across a slick surface? They both will pick up contaminants? Both have to be kneeded during use. So why would one think that? :shrug:
Whats the magic in the $15 bar vs the reg stuff? I mean really, look what you're using it for! Its not like the reg clay is going to scratch your paint!
Just curious.:beer:

wythors

Needs a bigger garage
Established Member
Detailing clay is completely different stuff. All you have to do to tell the difference is to hold some in your hand.

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
LOL. This shit cracks me up. You have 2 sick ass cars, obviously enough money to maintain and insure them... and you would rather save 13 dollars, and have to potentially re-paint your car because modeling clay ****ED it up...? Quit being a tight ass and buy detailing clay for ****s sake. ROFL.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I want the best for my cars paint as well. After I clay bar the car I polish and wax the crap out of it like everyone else. Why do you guys get so uptight over this? Its just clay!:bash: :nonono: :lol: Do you guys own stock in clay bar? :rolleyes: Anyway.
I tried it today and it works just the same! :coolman: Picks up all the same stuff just like the reg clay bar. Cracks me up that nobodys willing to try something new much less think it would screw up your paint. Its clay not acid! :lol:
This modeling clay feels the same too. Tough to kneed it. It may not be excatly the same but if it picks up the same way why not use it? :shrug: Still haven't heard why its so different.:bored:
btw - Its not a matter of saving money (I'd rather not waste it either) but trying something new and not waste my money on things I really dont need. How often do you clay your car? How often have you been using the same bar over and over again? A loaded up bar defeats the purpose of claying in the first place so you have to buy another and another. Now you've spent (at least) $30+ for 2 bars. I'll still be on my first stick of clay, still have 4 more sticks, and have spent $2. Now I can spend the money I saved on more SMP products or maybe that PC I've been wanting!:D

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Same question crossed my mind too.

Tried both Playdoh type clay and modeling clay. Neither one did anything except leave a trail of goo on the paint. I tried both soapy water and QD as a lube.

Since then I have used only Clay Magic clay. Usually the more aggressive red type.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I'll take a pic for later. Gotta get back to work! Been goofin off way too much today! :D
I got it in Walmart, in the sewing section.

Scott P

Established Member
Saying "clay is clay" is like saying "wax is wax" or "oil is oil". I honestly can't see it working as well. Automotive clay is a specialized composition and not the same as regular modeling clay that I used to make dinosaurs out of as a kid. Yes, my stegosaurus was the best in the class damn it and it could kick your triceratops' ass any day. I digress...:)

I don't know how it worked the same. Maybe your surface was already pretty clean and the lube did more cleaning than the clay itself. I just don't want to see some novice go out and buy a Playdoh Fun Factory and wonder why his paint has globs of "clay" stuck to it along with streaks, smears and marring.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I wouldnt want some novice tryin Playdoh either. I'm using modeling clay. Not Silly Puddy, not Ghost Busters Slim, but modeling clay. I know the composition may not be exactly the same but I'm sure its pretty damn close!
If you cant see it working and you refuse to believe it well try it! Find a friends Honda if you're so worried!:lol: How bad could you make it anyway? You've used clay bars before!
I used a cheap and simple spray wax as the lube as I did when using the real clay bars. Also if you dont use enough lube with the real clay bar stuff you can still get marring, streaks and such.
So is there a difference between Mothers clay bar and all the others out there? If so why would I pick one over the other?:shrug:
Rant over. I'll save.

01vert

Established Member
er, I just tried using latex house paint on my car, after all paint is paint, right?

will the modeling clay get this out or do I have to buy the super duper claybar??

joke over, claybars are made by pretty much one company who have a patent on it, thats why the good yellow clay has been disappearing and the other color stuff replacing it. "clay" is made with different plasticizers and chemicals and is synthetic and has nothing to do with genuine mineral based clay and very little to do with modeling clay. Cousins, maybe, same, no.

There are even compositions of clay bar that are made to use more often and have less of a coeficient of friction and therefore less "tack" and are considered less aggressive for claying

You could also wax your car with beeswax and say it is the same as carnuba but it is not. You could also say kerosene and diesel are the same, etc etc etc

jarryd2018

Established Member
01vert said:
er, I just tried using latex house paint on my car, after all paint is paint, right?

will the modeling clay get this out or do I have to buy the super duper claybar??

joke over, claybars are made by pretty much one company who have a patent on it, thats why the good yellow clay has been disappearing and the other color stuff replacing it. "clay" is made with different plasticizers and chemicals and is synthetic and has nothing to do with genuine mineral based clay and very little to do with modeling clay. Cousins, maybe, same, no.

There are even compositions of clay bar that are made to use more often and have less of a coeficient of friction and therefore less "tack" and are considered less aggressive for claying

You could also wax your car with beeswax and say it is the same as carnuba but it is not. You could also say kerosene and diesel are the same, etc etc etc
those two may not be the same but i got a diesel engine to run on kerosene on accident. it smoked a lot, but it still ran. we label our gas cans at work now.

01vert

Established Member
sounds like the kero worked, guess it doesnt matter if it works WELL to some, you should just continue using it and save the 10 cents per gallon!!!

Some turbines will run on kero, diesel and aviation fuel, guess diesels have a decent tolerance for the quality of fuel they get

SmokinCobra420

Kush is good MmmKay!
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
Instead of buying the $15 single clay bar have you tried a $2 pack of 5 bars of modeling clay? Seen some at Walmart. Would be plenty for those really dirty jobs and wouldnt hurt so much if you had to throw some away.

Hey man i have an 04 mystic as well and want to find out my build/born on date...can you help?

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
01vert said:

LOL -- years ago (back in High School) a friend actually DID paint his car with baby blue latex house paint. He used a roller.
He had the most interestingly textured car in the school parking lot. And he could wax it with Pledge.....

Users who are viewing this thread