Everything Bicycle Related

VegasMichael

Established Member
True about the hurricanes but I’m not retiring anywhere with any type of cold season. I’ll take my chances with my insurance and the hurricane. I’ll never sell cape cod so I’ll be up there for hurricane season.
Me and Kris were joking about the same hurricane wiping out both houses.
First thing about retiring to Florida is to decide if you want west or east coast. For us it was easy. I don’t want to live among New Yorkers and Masshole liberals so the east coast was out.
Once you figure that out it gets easier.
At first we were going for St Pete’s area but Naples fit exactly what we wanted and for nightlife we are close to ft Myers beach.
I never noticed the liberal mindset in the Daytona area and I've been going there almost annually since both sets of grandparents moved there in the 70s. I won't argue that liberalism is way more prevalent in South Florida. I used to live on the panhandle in Pensacola and loved it there but I would want to be near my parents since they are getting up there in age and want to be close to them should they need assistance so NE FL is likely where I'll end up. It will also depend on where I can secure employment. Even though my NV pension will be plenty to subsist on I still want to work. There is also the possibility I will relocate to NY State since my folks are maintaining a residence there as well. Or SE PA since both my sisters live there AND my parents have contemplated relocating there from NY. I'm not a night life kind of guy and rarely go out anymore so a smaller community would suit me fine.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I never noticed the liberal mindset in the Daytona area and I've been going there almost annually since both sets of grandparents moved there in the 70s. I won't argue that liberalism is way more prevalent in South Florida. I used to live on the panhandle in Pensacola and loved it there but I would want to be near my parents since they are getting up there in age and want to be close to them should they need assistance so NE FL is likely where I'll end up. It will also depend on where I can secure employment. Even though my NV pension will be plenty to subsist on I still want to work. There is also the possibility I will relocate to NY State since my folks are maintaining a residence there as well. Or SE PA since both my sisters live there AND my parents have contemplated relocating there from NY. I'm not a night life kind of guy and rarely go out anymore so a smaller community would suit me fine.
You are correct. The northeast liberals move further south. Starts at around west palm beach and goes down from there.

I would definitely choose Florida over those other places. I never want to experience winter anymore.

ajaf1656

Established Member
All I want to do is cruise the paved and groomed bike paths. No tricks or racing etc.
Those bmx bikes get so big looking they lose that look I like and resemble mountain bikes.
I guess I’ll have to be happy on a cruiser. It fits what I want and I won’t get that part of my youth back.

I'm 6'1" and at 38 years old, my back just can't take riding a traditional 20" BMX anymore. I'll be out of commission for days from a few hours on a small bike.

VegasMichael

Established Member
You are correct. The northeast liberals move further south. Starts at around west palm beach and goes down from there.

I would definitely choose Florida over those other places. I never want to experience winter anymore.

I'm leaving my options open. I've been stuck in the desert for decades with non stop sun and heat and it's old. I miss snow and a change of seasons. As always, time will tell....

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I'm leaving my options open. I've been stuck in the desert for decades with non stop sun and heat and it's old. I miss snow and a change of seasons. As always, time will tell....
You can always visit snow. Once you live there it will get real old after the second storm.

macworld

Established Member
I live 20 minutes North of St Augustine in St Johns county. Love it here- moved from Ohio 3 years ago. It is mostly conservative here, I couldn’t ask for anything better. I think the cost of living is fair and the people/weather are great. For the most part perfect weather for doing stuff outdoors.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I live 20 minutes North of St Augustine in St Johns county. Love it here- moved from Ohio 3 years ago. It is mostly conservative here, I couldn’t ask for anything better. I think the cost of living is fair and the people/weather are great. For the most part perfect weather for doing stuff outdoors.
Good to know. My mother is impressed with the healthcare in JAX, way better than in the Daytona area. Likely due its larger size, and the fact there is a Mayo Clinic branch there that she went to.

VegasMichael

Established Member
@ajaf1656

I took my new bike for a short spin on Saturday and Sunday(still windy as hell). I haven't bought a bike since the early 90s so my question is this: When did front derailleurs become a thing and do they really improve the riding experience? I messed around with it and I'm not sure I get it.

ajaf1656

Established Member
@ajaf1656

I took my new bike for a short spin on Saturday and Sunday(still windy as hell). I haven't bought a bike since the early 90s so my question is this: When did front derailleurs become a thing and do they really improve the riding experience? I messed around with it and I'm not sure I get it.

I couldn't say when front derailleurs became widely used on bikes, but for a long time. More and more bikes have been eliminating the front derailleurs by running narrow chains and more cogs on the rear to achieve comparable gear ratios. The front chainrings are a much larger jump in gearing so you can probably make due with shifting the rear only as long as you aren't crossing up the chain by being in the large or small on both ends. If you want to get really exact you can use a gear-inch calculator to map out all the combinations so you make the most efficient use of what you have available.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I couldn't say when front derailleurs became widely used on bikes, but for a long time. More and more bikes have been eliminating the front derailleurs by running narrow chains and more cogs on the rear to achieve comparable gear ratios. The front chainrings are a much larger jump in gearing so you can probably make due with shifting the rear only as long as you aren't crossing up the chain by being in the large or small on both ends. If you want to get really exact you can use a gear-inch calculator to map out all the combinations so you make the most efficient use of what you have available.
Yeah I think I'm just going to use the rear. I'm a casual rider so I'm not into obtaining the greatest efficiency. Just seemed having a front derailleur was kind of redundant.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Had to post this up. The tricks this gal can do are amazing! And yeah, it helps that she's easy on the eyes.

She competes in the sport of artistic cycling which is one of the two sports that make up the UCI's indoor world cycling championships. The other sport is Cycle Ball...

tistan

Established Member
I picked up my new bike. I'm about to go scratch it.

Attachments

• 20230623_113846.jpg
    20230623_113846.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 74

ajaf1656

Established Member
I guess I'll come out of hiding after swearing off this website when the moderators banned me for no reason. Lol
I don't think I ever posted my mountain bike or my pics of how I transport it.

Attachments

• CAE17C6D-9697-43E0-A0D6-88EF095E1EBC.jpeg
    CAE17C6D-9697-43E0-A0D6-88EF095E1EBC.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 50
  • E5E55D7A-CB85-4AD1-A7DF-8B8C5D5D4A30.jpeg
    E5E55D7A-CB85-4AD1-A7DF-8B8C5D5D4A30.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread