EXCLUSIVE First Look-WHIPPLE 4.5L... Coming soon!!

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Who knows.... maybe the hardcore 6.2 Raptor people will like it. At least hood clearance won't be an issue in the trucks!

I'd be interested to see how well this performs with the bigger displacement 5.8 motors as well.

As for the Cobra Jets, Ford is moving more towards twin turbos instead of twin screws. I was just at PRI this weekend and saw a twin turbo 5.0 CJ motor sitting on a stand next to a CJ with the same motor installed. It had a composite intake that said "Twin Turbo" on it. Naaaasty.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Ok that look like turbines are about to be installed.....and I do not mean the turbo kind...

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Soon my friends. Soon. View attachment 8945

If there's one thing I already know this blower is excellent at doing, it's exposing bottlenecks that wouldn't otherwise exist with this motor.

I'm glad you posted this picture, because it puts into perspective just how small the intake is in comparison to this monster blower.

I know there are lots of intercooler upgrades because it's a simple piece that's proven to add power and reduce temps. But with the best intercooler, are there any gains to be had with an upgraded lower intake?

Does anyone make an alternative to the stock lower intake?

Does Whipple make a lower intake for a 5.4 DOHC, either as an upgrade or as part of a blower kit? It would be hard to believe they put all this engineering into such a monster blower without thinking about the factory intake it's being bolted to.

About the only other lower intake I can think of is out of the Ford GT. But those are super rare, and those intakes have two injectors per cylinder. Who knows if it's worth any extra power.

EDIT: I just looked on eBay and was able to find a couple of them. One is as cheap as $400. But I have no idea if it's a worthwhile upgrade over the GT500 stock piece given the fuel system mods that also need to be done. But if you're running a blower this big, it might be a good idea to have 16 fuel injectors!

Is it worth the time and effort? Or are there gains to be made elsewhere, like with an even bigger blower?

Homer

Last edited:

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Wait...our 4.0 was white, so does that mean that, no...could it be???

In the meantime, some new teasers:

WHIPPLE1_zps1d825b3b.jpg

WHIPPLE2_zps7b21e40d.jpg

WHIPPLE4_zpsac66c796.jpg

WHIPPLE3_zps19090bae.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread