exhaust help, 10 gt500

docjupa24

livin the dream
Established Member
i had a set of long tube bassani headers installed on my car, used the cat delete pipe and modified the stock h pipe to accept the headers, also using factory axle back. problem is its pretty raspy sounded, i guess its the factory mufflers?? it sounds great at idle or cruising rpm, but when you mash it it sounds almost like glass packs. question is would it help to change mufflers, i'd like a deeper tone? or should i just put the cats back on
thanks for any advice
jp

Kimcobra

Established Member
alot of guys are adding bullet style mufflers before the axles or a set of resanators,,makes it sound alot better gets rid of the raspy and kracklin sound..

Last edited by a moderator:

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
alot of guys are adding bullet style mufflers before the axles or a set of resanators,,makes it sound alot better gets rid of the raspy and kracklin sound..

That's what I am thinking about doing (putting resonators in). I have a set of ARH LTs, OR-X and then the stock 2011 axle backs.

The sound is just about perfect but I am looking to take some of the buzz out of aggressive part and WOT.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
i had a set of long tube bassani headers installed on my car, used the cat delete pipe and modified the stock h pipe to accept the headers, also using factory axle back. problem is its pretty raspy sounded, i guess its the factory mufflers?? it sounds great at idle or cruising rpm, but when you mash it it sounds almost like glass packs. question is would it help to change mufflers, i'd like a deeper tone? or should i just put the cats back on
thanks for any advice
jp

IMO... Go with high flow cats... The mufflers aren't the problem. Actually are a better design than prior years..... No cats with L/T 's = plenty of raspyness.. You'll get that deeper tone back that the H supplies

g/l

docjupa24

livin the dream
Established Member
i guess i could just use the cat pieces from bassani, they are a direct bolt in, the sound is near stock at idle but damn at wot its like a nascar...........

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Yes that has been the signature sound of almost every l/t off-road setup around. Weld in some High-flow cats (MRT sells them for $60 each) and it should clean up your sound considerably.

I ordered the Dynomax 3" race bullet resonators last night to weld in after the midpipe, hopefully it should tone down the drone in the cabin. After I get back from Mustang Week I'm going to get rid of the JBA mufflers after the axle and weld in some 3" pipe. The muffler location on these cars give it that stupid ricer/tinny sound that seems to lag after you hit the throttle.

Good luck!

docjupa24

livin the dream
Established Member
i saw slp had some resonators that could go in front of the mufflers as well
i'll check em out, thanks for the info

Grabber07'

Established Member
Had that nascar sound after I installed my Lethal O/R X with stock mufflers. I installed magnaflow resonators in front of the axle and no more crackling glass pack sound...just smooth and quieter.

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
I have Dynomax 3inch cat-back with the race bullet mufflers and it sounds amazing but with the stock mid pipe it's not as loud as I would like it... Has ZERO drone but I don't know what would be better sounding a X or H pipe with high flow cats?

Users who are viewing this thread