Exhaust is fluttering?

Serfma

Established Member
So I've replaced my engine from a 97 or 98 Lincoln, can't remember the year, but I've swapped intake cams and everything over. Bolted on a Kenne Bell 2.1 and now I'm having issues with the exhaust sounding like it's fluttering. The tune I have is very rough but fuel is dialed in around 10% too rich at WOT, but this happens even at revving idle. Still working on dialing in fuel completely. Cylinder #8 is going to be tested but the plug was covered in oil while the rest looked fine. Under load people are saying a bunch of fuel being dumped out the pipes right when I take off but clears up after a second which leads me to believe maybe while having no cats the tune still has the "dump fuel to cool cats" setting enabled.

Trying to get more clips but I am really lost as to what's going on. I'm going to compression test the driver side bank tomorrow to see. Don't think a blower would change the exhaust note, really think it's either cylinder 8 or something else.

Serfma

Established Member
Oil on your #8 plug is most likely a failed spark plug O ring.
I swapped the plug, pulled and had a little bit of oil after an hour so I'm going to give it some more time before I pull it again to investigate.

It's driving me crazy that it sounds like one cylinder is misfiring just randomly/slightly. Might pull the injectors and have them flow tested but would dumping seafoam into the gas tank be worth trying first? I'm going to see if driver bank is having any issues with maybe an injector partially clogged, going to toss my wideband into the other bank and see.

Serfma

Established Member
UPDATE cylinder 8 is not running right. Covered in fuel each time we pull it. Pulled injector. Didn't swap it between cylinders like I should've done, but pulling wire from coil does not change running behavior. Other cylinders change rpm.

Replaced coil pack with another 96 cobra. Same thing. Wondering if it's wiring or injector sticking open somehow??

Serfma

Established Member
Getting a set of 39# termi injectors to replace my 60#'s with, only running 6psi on this 2.1 KB

Users who are viewing this thread