Exhaust leak with X-Pipe

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
I just installed a used catless X-pipe. But after firing her up it was apparent I had an exhaust leak. It is leaking where the X-Pipe bolts to the headers. I think it is due to the flange being bent from over torquing of the bolts by the previous owner, preventing a good seal. Any ideas for solutions? I was thinking some kind of thick exhaust gasket or something? Otherwise it would be impossible to flatten out that flange. Here's a pic....you can see it will not tighten any more because of the lip on the header stud.

download.gif

bull3441

Established Member
is it a Lethal pipe? the flanges are shit on them. i had the bolt back out twice. magnaflow has crap flanges as well. this is what led me to getting headers.

tktlwyr

Established Member
The donut doesn't work too well. What you'll need to do is weld the flange a little lower on the X so that it actually snugs the X up to the header when tightened.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
Holy crap the car is LOUD, btw. I like it, though. I have FRPP 5GT mufflers (Borla Stingers). WOT is stupid loud, ha ha :banana:

They make lead donut gaskets that you can slip in there

Yeah, that's kinda what I had in mind. Off topic but I couldn't get the stock over-axle pipes off using floor jacks. Not enough room :cuss: Gonna go to a lift soon.

is it a Lethal pipe? the flanges are shit on them. i had the bolt back out twice. magnaflow has crap flanges as well. this is what led me to getting headers.

Yup, Lethal. Didn't wanna mention their name but it's the truth. How did headers help? Did you get a full headers and mid-pipe setup?

Unbolt it. Put a little muffler mud in the flange. Bolt it up.

bj

Muffler sealer?

The donut doesn't work too well. What you'll need to do is weld the flange a little lower on the X so that it actually snugs the X up to the header when tightened.

That's a clever idea. I was also thinking about replacing the headers studs with some that don't have that lip so I can tighten them down further.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Did the prevous owner include the slip in's that go inside the manifold to cat pipe for the 07-09's?

My lethal pipe (brand new) needed alot of TLC to get rid of all the leaks its contantly made. After finally getting it all fixed up i'd rather have stayed catted. Quite the pita

Last edited:

tktlwyr

Established Member
That's a clever idea. I was also thinking about replacing the headers studs with some that don't have that lip so I can tighten them down further.

It's not worth the hassle on the header studs. It is worth a trip to a muffler shop and a couple of bucks, however. Trust me on this. I had consistent problems until we welded the flange to the pipe and have had no further problems. BTW, I know the guy who makes these pipes for Lethal and he didn't even realize the problem when I had my car at his shop. It took a trip to another muffler shop.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Yep, not abnormal apparently. I went through the same thing.

Took it off and put a Magnaflow on. No leaks.

Lethal uses those reducer pieces in there, I question that they don't make the sealing situation worse and they rattle. But I didn't try taking them out because it appeared the shape of the ball socket was incorrect and I wasn't willing to deal with it.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
It's not worth the hassle on the header studs. It is worth a trip to a muffler shop and a couple of bucks, however. Trust me on this. I had consistent problems until we welded the flange to the pipe and have had no further problems. BTW, I know the guy who makes these pipes for Lethal and he didn't even realize the problem when I had my car at his shop. It took a trip to another muffler shop.

I'll go this route if the muffler cement doesn't work.

Did the prevous owner include the slip in's that go inside the manifold to cat pipe for the 07-09's?

Slip ins? No, I guess not. What are they?

Yep, not abnormal apparently. I went through the same thing.

Took it off and put a Magnaflow on. No leaks.

Lethal uses those reducer pieces in there, I question that they don't make the sealing situation worse and they rattle. But I didn't try taking them out because it appeared the shape of the ball socket was incorrect and I wasn't willing to deal with it.

Damn, I guess I should have expected problems cheaping out with these....used, no less.

Reducers? Are you talking about the flared pipe ends? Or some kind of insert like Proto mentioned?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I'll go this route if the muffler cement doesn't work.

The pipe should have come with like some 2.25" "reducers" that slip into the inlet side of the pipe @ the manifolds.

They go into the ball/socket joint and help seal against the manifolds because the main pipe 'socket' shape is incorrect to seal properly (as you've found).

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
The pipe should have come with like some 2.25" "reducers" that slip into the inlet side of the pipe @ the manifolds.

They go into the ball/socket joint and help seal against the manifolds because the main pipe 'socket' shape is incorrect to seal properly (as you've found).

Nope, definitely didn't get anything like that. That explains a lot. I wonder if I can get them from Lethal

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
Bump for update:

So I guess this is the piece I am missing?

CIMG0107.gif

(Stolen from South Florida Stangs)

Got a message from Lethal, they will sell them separately. Gonna get one from them for $10. I'm going to use some copper rtv also just to be sure. Hope this works, car sounds like a freakin' dump truck right now :whine: Hopefully with no leaks and the resonators it will sound better.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
thats what your missing. you might want to get one for each side, with adding just one it might misalign the mid pipe a little. not sure tho

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
thats what your missing. you might want to get one for each side, with adding just one it might misalign the mid pipe a little. not sure tho

Yeah I was wondering about that. From what I've seen they come with only one for the driver side. That kinda makes sense to me because the driver side of the x-pipe is actually shorter than the passenger. and that's the side that's leaking for me. I'll ask Lethal before I order to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread