Exhaust size?

old01cobra

Established Member
Right now while its off I figured Ill finish the 3inch setup. You 4.6l 4V guys running a blower what x-pipe and catback size do you guys like or prefer? I have the kooks 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 to 3 inch collectors running through the 3 inch kooks x-pipe that narrow to the 2 1/2 in magnaflow cat backs I currently have. How should I finish the 3inch off? Get a full x-pipe/catback from SW or just finish the catbacks with a 3inch MAC or Bassani setup?

Thanks guys....

GodStang

Established Member
I ran 3" Stainless Steel all the way. Not knowing your power levels makes a huge difference.

old01cobra

Established Member
Made 460 rwhp on motor alone. Now I have a v1 TI trim on it with a 10 percent over drive crank 8rib with a 3.1 blower pulley intercooled 1000cc's twin 465 return style and a fr500 intake. Will see Im assuming 3inch should be good, the blowers rated for 1000ish hp and Im spinning it to max RPM 55-56 at 7000+.

old01cobra

Established Member
Goal was to use the easies blower to spin for the street that had good low mid to low higher RPM range. Still need to dyno it was lazy last year never finished the wiring for the pumps.

milktasd2

Established Member
Curious to find out if you make more power with the bigger catback. I’m in the same boat. 3” up to the mufflers and tailpipes.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm doing the same on mine since I'm planning on seeing over 900 with my F-1A setup. I ended up with JBA midlengths with 3" collector and JBA 3" catback. I'm having a fab shop make me a custom catted 3" h-pipe plus weld on some nice 4" double-walled slash cut tips. Also beware, just about all of the 3" catbacks on the market for these cars have 2.5" intermediate pipes to join up to stock 2.5" midpipes. If the manufacturer doesn't offer 3" tubes then you'll need to get a shop to make you some.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you will make mid 700hp but not 1000 on a V1. So I think you would be in the realm of what is good with a 2.5” exhaust.

A guy on here has one hell of a built Cobra and made mid 700 hp on a V1 T, swapped to a V7 and made mid to upper 800s and he was spinning it hard. I think he is slightly overspinning the JT Trim and only seeing 17-18lbs due to how well his engine moves air.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

old01cobra

Established Member
Yeah will see this spring. Hopefully the TI version of the v1 puts a little more power down. Blowers rated for 1450cfm so Im hoping I can put down high 700's low 800's, that was the goal. But 500whp was the goal on motor and I was 40 shy of that with how I have it set up. So calculations are not reality lol. Either way long as Im in the 700's it should rape on the street.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah will see this spring. Hopefully the TI version of the v1 puts a little more power down. Blowers rated for 1450cfm so Im hoping I can put down high 700's low 800's, that was the goal. But 500whp was the goal on motor and I was 40 shy of that with how I have it set up. So calculations are not reality lol. Either way long as Im in the 700's it should rape on the street.

Are they finally doing a Ti for a modular? Last I read they were not due to the Si.

Cardio is for staring at chicks in yoga pants, power lifting is for grunting at dudes; change my mind using the svtperformance.com mobile app

old01cobra

Established Member
By request I guess. Didn’t see one listed on Vortechs site. Saw it on super chargers online ordered it they said the couldn’t get it. Saw teambeafcake listed it called them they said we can get it made no worries 2 weeks later a v1 ti race. A testament to how good teambeafcake is because I’m a nobody lol

GodStang

Established Member
Will see Im assuming 3inch should be good, the blowers rated for 1000ish hp and Im spinning it to max RPM 55-56 at 7000+.

2.5" is usually good to 650rwhp then after that it's time to start thinking about going a bit bigger. Further away from 650 the better gains you will see.

I'm doing the same on mine since I'm planning on seeing over 900 with my F-1A setup. I ended up with JBA midlengths with 3" collector and JBA 3" catback. I'm having a fab shop make me a custom catted 3" h-pipe plus weld on some nice 4" double-walled slash cut tips. Also beware, just about all of the 3" catbacks on the market for these cars have 2.5" intermediate pipes to join up to stock 2.5" midpipes. If the manufacturer doesn't offer 3" tubes then you'll need to get a shop to make you some.

Your restrictions will be the headers. If I was looking at 900 I would have 1-7/8" headers instead of the JBA 1-5/8" mid lengths.

... Either way long as Im in the 700's it should rape on the street.

Depends where you live. I live in a small town and anything under 900rw is a joke around here. My old setup was in close to 800rw and it was not even top 20 of the street cars.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Your restrictions will be the headers. If I was looking at 900 I would have 1-7/8" headers instead of the JBA 1-5/8" mid lengths.

I saw it as a compromise between flow and ground clearance. I've had longtubes before on another Cobra and ended up beating those collectors to hell around Houston streets. I'm sure this combo will be far and above the stock manifolds with 2.5" pipes that was on there haha.

old01cobra

Established Member
I guess I’ll just leave the 2.5 cat backs for now and see what it makes. In theory the blower inlet is under 4 inches maybe the neck down from my 3inch. X won’t matter. Thanks for the feed back you guys. If I make 750+rwhp I’ll spend the money and redyno with a complete 3 inch.

Users who are viewing this thread